Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flacau April - What’s it like?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Found a decent deal for Flacau starting April 13. What are ski conditions likely to be? I k ow it is a low resort but after all the snow this season, will it likely to be still good enough for my kids on nursery slopes (1st ski trip for them)? Are these low-lying resorts quieter at this time of year?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dougie, Who knows?.....if it carries on like present it'll be mountainbike season soon Wink

FWIW I wouldnt worry, i'm going to west of Austria in 2 weeks and i'm not concerned but predicting 6-7 weeks ahead isnt easy. i'd hold off for now tbph and potentially book nearer the time if you're concerned, there'll be snow but what quality who knows..
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dougie, it could be melted or it could be dumping down. There is not much in the way of nursery slopes, what there is in the valley at the Space Jet 1 lift area and round the other side at the bottom of the Rote 8 lift and likely to be mush all day IMHO. It will be very quiet indeed. There are nursery slopes higher up in Wagrain and Alpendorf but it is probably a very sunny aspect (I have no idea which way the mountains face but it's always bright there)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know about Flachau, but I saw some photos of the valley near Windischgarsten (not v far away) the other day and there's WAY more snow there than Tirol. You'd expect it to be soft snow by then with the sun, but it's unlikely there won't be enough!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Reiteralm is 15 mins down the road from Flachau and have their nursery up at the top of the first gondola. Its an excellent place to learn to ski in April. There are 3 mountain huts surrounding the nursery, and skiers can explore Reiteralm and return easily. Have you found a package or diy? Ski passes are free in Ski Amade for kids when an adult buys a week pass. I cant think of any other nursery slopes that are not in the valley. hth. Ange.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@flangesax, good call..and even closer from your place
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cool. Thanks for the replies.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, its one to remember. A return on the gondola is about 15 so perfect for foot passengers. And they do a point card for about 26 which covers the gondola and enough on the button lift to keep a learner sorted for the day. We learnt this in Nov. Ange
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dougie We'll be there that week too. Two of us already booked to be instructing that week. Flachau will be fine on piste if that's all you want to do. To go off piste (assuming you don't want to tour), then jump on the bus to Zauchensee or head up to Bad Gastein for higher slopes. It will be great. You might want to start a bit earlier then kick off the Apres around 3pm to avoid slush.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great advice. Thanks for that. @panaga52,
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@flangesax, with your knowledge of the area, please can I ask about Xmas/New Year. We’ve just returned from a great week at Rohrmoos, so know it fairly well. Aside from the last 2 amazingly snowy Austrian Xmas’s, is there always decent skiing at Rohrmoos/Hochwurzen at New Year? Thanks in advance.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snow&skifan, it's changeover day so flangesax is probably knee deep in cleaning right now. In fairness I have only lived here for two Christmas/New Year periods.

Last season the snow was fabulous throughout December. It came early so many ski areas opened early during November. By Christmas there was a lot of snow in the valley and everywhere was open with great skiing.

This season the snow was a little later arriving, so although there was good skiing during Christmas and New Year weeks, the valleys were largely still a bit green and the valley runs operating on artificial snow. Straight after New Year it started snowing heavily and didn't stop for two weeks!

So to answer your question, there will be skiing over Christmas and New Year. If Mother Nature doesn't provide the goods in time, there is a massive snowmaking infrastructure here to ensure the tourists get what they have paid for. That's the worst case scenario. The average scenario is probably more like this season where the valleys were still a bit green but there was a good mixture of natural and man-made on the pistes. What happened directly after New Year can certainly not be described as average.

If you fancy booking accommodation with flangesax for the Christmas and/or New Year period, get in there quick as those are weeks in high demand.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy