Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Speeding in France

Poster: A snowHead
This just popped up on my FB... you will now get done driving a UK plated car.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shocked Is it just a fine or do you get points too?

Either way it takes the fun out of driving abroad.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You got notified via Facebook ? Or do you mean someone else you know did ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why would they send this to a FaceBook account? Why not to the legal address of the registered keeper? There's no connection between DVLA and FB. This isn't real.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The person who received it posted it to FB, I also saw it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I must admit I think it doesn't look right, highly unusual that most of that photo appears to be in English.
My French speeding fines driving a Swiss registered car have all been in French with nothing translated - which I believe is French Government Policy for all official documents.
However, the website for paying the fine comes with six language options!
https://www.antai.gouv.fr/comment-payer?lang=en

It would be interesting to see the rest of that document, as French Law fines the vehicle owner. English law fines the driver therefore there should be the facility to send the fine to someone else.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can designate another driver or contest the fine by clicking the link on the site, which takes you here:
https://www.antai.gouv.fr/comment-contester?lang=en
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WindOfChange, ah, maybe that allows the French to send the fine to UK citizens.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@boredsurfin, I imagine it makes it much easier for car hire companies and means they can earn their €50.00 "admin" fee with 1 mouse click, and pasting your address from their file.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

My French speeding fines driving a Swiss registered car have all been in French with nothing translated

Not that long ago France did not have an agreement to collect speeding fines in Switzerland and all the Swiss cars used to speed with impunity (once reason for renting a car from the Swiss side of Geneva airport). The UK resisted collecting foreign fines for a long time, or giving out driver details to foreign countries. IIRC the Italians got around this restriction by employing UK dept collecting agencies to access the DVLA database and collect the fines. The demands would come in English. The DVLA now cooperates with our neighbours.

I'm not sure what the consequences of not paying the fine are, but then French speeding fines are quite modest compared to UK ones, you don't (AFAIK) get points on your licence and your car insurance is not increased.

While desperately trying to figure out why anyone would want to leave the EU one of the few advantages I could see would be the ability to speed across Europe and not get fined and of course to flee the UK after a crime and avoid a European arrest warrent.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They have been able to send speeding tickets to the UK for many years.
After a trip through france in about 1990, a friend had a speeding ticket waiting for him on the doormat at home - whoops my bad going through Lyon late at night on the way down - but they had no means of enforcing across boarders and as he had no immediate plans to return to france he binned it & heard no more.
Is their reach a bit longer these days?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AFAIAA, you can only be summonsed by an overseas nation for arrest-able offences.
Speeding (by a small amount) is not an arrest-able offence, so it's up to you if you pay.
But if you do not, be wary as the information might be held on some system and they'll get you next time.

I am slightly (30%) concerned that I might get a French ban, or at least some retrospective points.
I applied to swap my Uk license for a French one back in January. ( Project no-deal suggests that I might need to do my tests again in France if I wait until April).
I have heard nothing back, so read a few forums about the process.
The process used to be done in the local Prefecture, but it has now been centralised in Nantes and is a bit of a poo show.
Along with the many posts saying it can take up to 16 weeks just to get an acknowledgement, and 9 -10 months before the whole thing is done, there are some saying that I will get endorsements for offences which I have committed previously in France that can be linked to me.
I have been here for 15 years, so the 12 points I would have racked up is not that much when annualised.
I am hoping that if they do apply points retrospectively, then it's from the date of the offence, so that I will have a pretty clean bill of health.
I guess I will find out in October Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In Holland we always get tickets from the Neighbours ..there delivered personally by our Dutch Police..sometimes 18-24months after

High Speeding in Belgium is a Fine and a ban from driving on any Snelweg (Motorway) in Belgium for 3-6 months and they normallyvspecifyvduring the Summer period..

Moral is...

Do you speed in your home country?
Why speed in others !

NB. I do not drive
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Speeding (and red-light jumping) is just an occupational hazard in NL. They make it seamless to cough up, both for Dutch residents and those of neighbouring countries (and SEPA made it even easier still).

That French one suggested fake to me. I certainly have heard of people getting speeding/parking tickets from abroad from scammers, quite possibly due to UK's relatively lax regulations about making the entire DVLA database available to anyone who says "I am a parking scum company".
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Someone has forgot they drive a taxi
snow conditions
@stanton, Most of my points are not for speeding.
6 are for jumping "dark orange" lights, and 3 for crossing a solid line on an overtake and then being chased by the Gendarmes for 2 KM until they caught me Smile
snow conditions
@JonA, Crikey, I'm getting old
latest report
@stanton, not sure how you manage to earn a living as a taxi driver if you do not drive?

Whether holders of UK driving licences can have driving and parking offences committed outside of the UK enforced against them is a complex subject. The basic issue is that the way the UK enforces these things is different to most other countries ie there is effectively a presumption of guilt rather than a requirement to prove who was driving. This means that many countries will not enforce UK penalties against their citizens so the UK will not reciprocate. This was all supposed to have been sorted with the usual EU agreement but the UK was very reluctant to sign up fully and then came the referendum..... So in some places, I believe this remains the case in Switzerland and Austria (but maybe wrong), speeding tickets can not be enforced against UK licence holders, though of course the hire companies can charge for passing on your details. In other places the fine is a civil debt which can then be sold to a debt recovery company who can enforce the debt in the UK (believe this is the case in Germany and Italy). Of course this is all up in the air post 29th of March too.

In most countries, eg the Netherlands & Belgium example Stanton has given this simply is not an issue as the various driving offences are simply mutually enforced.
ski holidays
One simple answer to this is not to speed, and then you won't be fined.
snow conditions
@Hells Bells,
Quote:

One simple answer to this is not to speed,

Sorry, don't understand your banter! Laughing
ski holidays
Those French tickets make it back to the States eventually, too. Mine was in French. Ditto Austria, in German. I guess those "consequences" I told my kids about apply to me as well.
ski holidays
It’s e45 and no points. I just pay them all, and always have. My lack of observation of the limit signs, my responsibility for the consequences.

As one of my friends once said “it’s like a special tax for driving fast in France”.

I don’t pay much tax here, so it’s almost like a voluntary contribution to the state Happy
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I was typing the same reply. I can sleep soundly.
snow conditions
Confirmation of genuineness..... I saw the camera flash me in Besancon on the 10th en route to La Plagne, the ticket arrived at home two days after I got home again, last Weds. Sad 45 Euros for prompt payment. Can they do anything if its ignored?? Dunno, and for the sake of 45Eu, I'm not going to put it to the test!
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:

+1
snow report
After 29th March

If ypu do not pay fines if caught in a Rental Car ..expect to be blaclisted..

Own vehicles likely to be on the spot if tracked or leaving schengen .
ski holidays
I got the £25 admin fee from the rental company for passing on my info, I was never so glad to pay 45 euro ever, have you seen Swiss fines!!!!
latest report
I drive a venerable VW camper van , if I managed to get a speeding ticket it would be framed and hung on the wall.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Given the gillets jaune seemto have spray painted most cameras, chances of getting caught slim.

And yes I speed in my home country Toofy Grin
snow report
prometheus wrote:
I drive a venerable VW camper van , if I managed to get a speeding ticket it would be framed and hung on the wall.

Wink
ski holidays
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Is that another of Trump's election 'promises' ? Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
One of the restaurateurs in Grand Massif had such tickets posted up in the restaurant of their speeding misdemeanours.

One of them in a Citroën SM no less. What style Very Happy
latest report
Some of the posts here are, in my eyes, getting uncomfortably close to bragging about speeding and getting speeding tickets.

Even if it is "just banter", it's not something that I would choose to boast about given the number of fatalities and injuries where speeding is a factor.

If I ever received a speeding ticket, in my home country or elsewhere, I would be very embarrassed. Even more so if I was knowingly over the speed limit (rather than a genuine mistake). Whether or not I had to pay would not be the first thing on my mind.
snow conditions
I just got my first speeding ticket aged 40. Agree with denfinella, it means I'm a bit more of a dick than I thought I was. Embarrassing.
snow report
@denfinella, there's speeding and inappropriate speeding. I will never break the limit in 30 limits. Or 40 come to it. 50 limits, sometimes, like the A422 between Brackley and Banbury which has been 60 for a zillion years until they introduced a 50 limit a year or so back.

On the M40 last night then yes I'll happily admit to cruising at 80, traffic was light, roads were dry, know the road well.
snow conditions
Was flashed in France and Swiss (Vaud) last summer in my own car and never received the fines nor was I arrested at the Swiss border on. Y next visit as some would like to think. Was doing 90 in a 80 and 130 in a 120 respectively. Not too fast but the French one I was a numpty as I missed the very large warning sign and unlucky as it was probably the only camera in the country that had not been vandalised. My view is it’s okay to speed, just a bit to ensure flowing drive, but pay if you get a fine - not worth the stress.
latest report
@denfinella, In just under 40 years of driving, 30k miles a year average, UK and europe, I do not know how many speeding fines I have had, but certainly into double figures. In that time I have never had an accident, neither with a moving or inanimate object. Bad driving causes fatalities and injuries, the speed involved in the bad driving might move the accident up the scale of severity, but the bad driving is the root cause. I am not particularly embarrassed about receiving the tickets, annoyed about being caught and not blaming anyone but myself. I happened to be paying more attention to real physical hazards than looking out for the myriad of signs indicating what really are notional speed limits, and the cameras that go with them. (None of the fines were for excessive speed, just marginally not complying, at that moment in time)
I think sometimes some of the "all speed is dangerous" brigade perhaps need to think that the logical conclusion of that is that not moving at all would be the safest option. Well it might be, but we would all starve rolling eyes
snow report
@martinm, its not, because there's only one and its going into the bin. If you were correct there would be many and they'd be tossed out the window of a Humvee barreling through a nature preserve, and then denied. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
As Mr Clarkson pointed out - speed doesn't kill, it's the sudden de-acceleration which does that

Driving at 50 past a school at 3:20pm is stupid in extreme, driving at 85 at 3:20am on motorway is not IMHO the worst crime out
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy