Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia matterhorn

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, could anyone give me an idea of where Italy stops and Switzerland starts coming up from cervinia. Can I get up to the matterhorn glacier on a cervinia lift pass rather than a cervinia zermatt? Thanks in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You get up to the ridge on the Italian side. It's pretty clear on lift maps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Need a Zermatt pass to get up higher than the ridge, or a helicopter rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Andy2809, you can buy a combined area pass to allow you to use both sides of the ridge. We stayed in Zermatt and decided to buy the combined pass for Cervinia too, it worked out at an extra €60 each I think, but we only skied in Cervinia once, not sure if its much cheaper to buy a day pass for Zermatt?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A one day upgrade of the Cervinia pass to include Zermatt is about €30 IIRC.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Of course you can easily ski the Matterhorn glacier ski area with a Cervinia pass. It’s getting back up and home that’s the problem....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When you buy a 6-day lift pass in Zermatt, and you want to ski in Cervinia some of the time, it's cheaper to buy an 'international' pass for the 6 days, if you ski in Cervinia 2 of those days, rather than buying 2 separate daily extensions. If you only ski 1 day in Cervinia, it's cheaper to buy a 1-day extension. I imagine the equivalent pricing applies in Cervinia. Except of course it's all quite a bit cheaper!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TommyJ wrote:
Of course you can easily ski the Matterhorn glacier ski area with a Cervinia pass. It’s getting back up and home that’s the problem....

I guess it depends what he means by the "matterhorn glacier". If you went up to Testa Grigia on the Italian lifts you would be skiing on glacier if you simply turned round and skiied back down into Italy (on the Ventina. If you skiied down to Trockener Steg you'd be skiing the Furgg glacier and as you say you'd then need a Swiss/international lift pass to use the lifts to get back up. I assumed the OP was talking about skiing from Klein Matterhorn (i.e. the high point). You can't get up to there without a Swiss/international pass (other than skinning of course).

Interestingly one of the next projects is building a lift from Testa Grigia up to Klein Matterhorn directly. It is the Swiss lift company that is building that. So logically you would think it would be part of the Swiss/international pass. However you can imagine that quite a few people from the Italian side who went up to Testa Grigia would be interested in going up to Klein Matterhorn and then skiing down from there into Italy. Forcing them to buy an international pass just to do that (assuming they did not want to ski Switzerland generally) would make the cost prohibitive. Might need a bit of imaginative pricing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think they still need planning permission for the Testa Griga - Klein Matterhorn Cable car and apparently it is rather controversial.

It sounds as though it is aimed at south east Asian visitors who would then be sold a trans alpine ridge journey from cervinia to Zermatt via the Klien Matterhorn.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter S wrote:
I think they still need planning permission for the Testa Griga - Klein Matterhorn Cable car and apparently it is rather controversial.

It sounds as though it is aimed at south east Asian visitors who would then be sold a trans alpine ridge journey from cervinia to Zermatt via the Klien Matterhorn.

Indeed. A good article (in English) from Der Spiegel from last October:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/alps-new-matterhorn-gondola-plans-draws-criticism-a-1231087.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Andy2809 wrote:
Hi, could anyone give me an idea of where Italy stops and Switzerland starts coming up from cervinia. Can I get up to the matterhorn glacier on a cervinia lift pass rather than a cervinia zermatt? Thanks in advance

If you take the Cable Car from Cime Bianche to Plateau Rosa (aka Testa Grigia) then, where you get off, you will see a yellow line across the concrete. That is the border between Italy and Switzerland. You will also see a, mostly erased, earlier yellow line about a metre further into Switzerland from when it was moved when the Swiss discovered that it was slightly in the wrong place !

If you come up from Cervinia via the Bontadini chairlift then the border is just under the Theodol Hut at the top of that.

From either point you can then ski down to Trockener Steg or even further down to Furgg on the Swiss side.

However, to return, you’ll need to then ride on the Swiss lifts and to get upto the very top of the Klein Matterhorn you’ll need to take the 3S Gondola ... so you can’t do that without a ski Pass covering Switzerland. You can, however, buy a single pass ticket for Trockener to Klein Matterhorn on the 3S so that might be the cheapest solution if you just want to do it once.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you for all the relies, much appreciated
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's also definitely worth getting the international pass if you're in Zermatt so you can get a really good coffee over in Italy for €1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BurningQuads wrote:
It's also definitely worth getting the international pass if you're in Zermatt so you can get a really good coffee over in Italy for €1

+1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BurningQuads wrote:

Definitely. Although I'd highly recommend the slightly more expensive, but definitely worth it, Irish Coffee served at Bontadini. Best in the whole area.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy