Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mass Northern skiing holiday exodus?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it pre Brexit? Is it the lack of anything cold and white in Scotland? Is it lots of the white stuff in Europe?
Decided that we'd have to start looking for a TO European week for sometime in March (given the effective lack of anything in the UK thus far, or likley, to speak of). Blow me, compared to 2-4 weeks ahead bookings in previous years, it's all: a) blinking expensive (for me); b) of very little availability (some in Andorra, France and Bulgaria, not much at all in Italy or Austria - again, for what I'd call a basic, reasonably-priced trip); c) being snatched up very, very quickly (seen some acceptable deals, went back later that night, and all gone). I'm well used to getting a good cheap deal in Mayrhofen, Soll, etc - but this year, if there's any still going, they're way out of my price range. Haven't the nerve to hold until very last minute, as I fear there might be nothing worthwhile left at all...
Can't even see that it's the B word as ones coming back post 29th are still just as rare and pricey (maybe a little less so, but given it's also late season I'd expect that).
Doubtless there's a bit more availability from the more southerly airports, but I've had to go down to Man as it is; very little to nothing suitable out of Newcastle, Glasgow or Edinburgh (esp with ski carriage) and Leeds was silly prices.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maybe it's due to the good skiing conditions?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpine Elements have a deal on facebook today £397 in Tignes staying at Hotel Haut de Toviere 24th feb chalet board and flights...doesn't say which airport but they usually do manchester flights..I know it's available from Manchester on march 10th as i was almost going to book it myself...£550 that date.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grizzler, We found that too, and just decided to swallow the pain and fly from Gatwick. I sold some old ski jackets, goggles and three bags on eBay. That paid for a night at each end of our trip in the Hilton at Gatwick, so at least we could break up the journey.
BTW, if you have an old North Face base camp bag, any size, even scuffed etc, that you don't use, get it on eBay. They go mad for them. Good luck.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not sure of budget, but lots come up under £500 on Crystal Ski + a lot have 241 lift pass.
I doubt you'd get stranded for a day... & if so, just ski some more snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Grizzler, could well be that operators cut the supply this season with all that is going on.

I haven't been with a TO for ages but remember that happening many moons ago. Though I am sure I found something in the end. There is always something.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some stonking deals around that I've seen, particularly from Ski World for next week. But have a good look here:

https://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/ski-chalet-deals#search=1
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Grizzler, I think UK based package TO capacity has reduced significantly in the last 2 or 3 seasons. That said, a little early yet to expect late booking deals for March I think.
Trickier to get great late deals than a few years ago but something good usually turns up. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Grizzler, if you fancy a week in Serre Chevalier check out my signature. Prices on the website, but there's snowHeads discount and everything We are vacant from 23rd March. Flights to Turin or Grenoble, coach transfer from Turin for 50€ return drops you about 200m from the front door, which is the same distance to the skiing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I got fed up of constantly looking and booked a reasonably-priced (that's just sub £400, although more than I would previously have paid, by far) Inghams offer from Manchester, which isn't to anywhere great, but will do us this year. Couldn't go in late Feb: there were a couple of good prices then, I'll grant you, though still surprisingly high for a week's or less time.
Found pricing notes which I made back in October when I started looking at TO prices: effectively nothing with the main big TOs has got cheaper since then (which I'm surprised at), much is more expensive and the types of rooms available much more limited.
What has been weird this year is that back in October, and right into January, Finland was going ridiculously cheap (on Crystal at least); usually much more expensive than 'usual' Europe (and you couldn't blame the Euro either). So at least I got a good deal for the first trip of this year.
To be fair, I don't know some of the other sources mentioned above, but will bear them in mind for the future.
Memo - much research and better planning required for next year(s).
All a learning experience...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grizzler, sub £400 for a weeks catered chalet with flights is pretty good in my book. I was paying that 20 years ago! The cheaper I ever got was about £250 but that was in early Jan in the days of oversupply. And the food was atrocious.

I think you need to be careful driven purely on price.

And if you are seriously price sensitive you should self cater anyway.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Layne, I would never do catered, nor chalet. That would indeed be cheap! Always b&b or s/c.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/qK_KhzQEjoQ
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grizzler,

Yup seen the finland cheapies.
The huts looked decent but i think they make the money on renting you winter clothing suitable for freezing weather.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mr.Egg, never stayed in the log cabins, but think they're meant to be very cozy. We stayed in very nice apartments, high quality, clean, well equipped and resort/lift central.
Not aware anyone rents general or ski clothing (though they do sell it at high prices). Most, if not all Brits this year were well prepared and equipped, one way or the other.
Met someone in late Jan who had paid something utterly crazy, like about £200 or less for flights, transfers and cabin accommodation, week's notice, with Crystal. (Think we only paid about £350, compared to £650 2 years prior - good value in my book.) They had a great week; even at -25 or lower! (As did we, and self catering, including many cans of beer, cost us E55 each for a week Very Happy )
I hope they'll repeat the low prices again. (I'd better start telling everyone how awful it is, hadn't I... )
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:
@Mr.Egg, never stayed in the log cabins, but think they're meant to be very cozy. We stayed in very nice apartments, high quality, clean, well equipped and resort/lift central.
Not aware anyone rents general or ski clothing (though they do sell it at high prices). Most, if not all Brits this year were well prepared and equipped, one way or the other.
Met someone in late Jan who had paid something utterly crazy, like about £200 or less for flights, transfers and cabin accommodation, week's notice, with Crystal. (Think we only paid about £350, compared to £650 2 years prior - good value in my book.) They had a great week; even at -25 or lower! (As did we, and self catering, including many cans of beer, cost us E55 each for a week Very Happy )
I hope they'll repeat the low prices again. (I'd better start telling everyone how awful it is, hadn't I... )

We went to Finland with crystalski a few years back and our flight was delayed by 11 hours. They nicked our plane to service French resorts as there were airport problems there. For this reason alone I will only now diy and I choose scheduled flights to cities and avoid charter.

As an aside, we had a great holiday and certainly weren’t offered any hired thermal clothes. It was -20 and our own clothes were fine.

Glad you are all sorted on your holiday Grizzler. A few squeaky bum moments there!
snow report
Grizzler wrote:
@Layne, I would never do catered, nor chalet. That would indeed be cheap! Always b&b or s/c.

So is the £400 per person?

What is that flight, transfer and apartment?

If S/C I would DIY or use snowtrex.
snow report
@Layne, yes, £400 per person to include flights, accommodation and transfers. Don't know if I could at this stage (not having bought flights whilst cheap) have got better value via diy. Possibly, but I'm not a diy or area-choosing expert, nor do I really know where to look to sort out a diy hol, especially last minute(ish) - though I am learning, and think next year it's going to be more diy if this trend continues.
I note someone else is experiencing availability issues from Gatwick too, as per another thread.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, you can get an apartment for 4 in any ski area in France for £500 or in many cases a lot less. I can give you a few pointers if you need. Shared transfers are easy enough to get. There is a list at the top of the Les Arcs thread, or just ask. Or hire a car. If you book flights when they come out you can them for less £100 a head. Here is a thread tracking some from 2017/18.

Booking a flight is no different to booking a flight anywhere.

The shared transfers can all be booked online and isn't tricky to figure out.

And the accommodation is just like booking an apartment anywhere else in Europe.

Some apartments have lift pass deals attached. Our apartment plus 6.5 day lift pass in La Plagne was 1273 Euros for 2 Adults and 2 children at Christmas. We drive so no flights/transfers but the tunnel crossing, petrol and tolls is probably something like £500. So all told £1700/£1800 for 4 with lift pass included.
snow report
I'll be picking SHds brains most likely next year. Easy once you've done it once or twice, no doubt Smile
(I did it quite happily back in my climbing days - which, repeat after me, are not over yet! - but it seemed all a bit easier back then, somehow; less internetty confusing, anyway, and I think I had a very definite destination in mind each time.)
You might win a bit on there being 4 to share, though. I saw quite a few chalets/apartments advertised at good prices recently, but when adding in supplements for only 2 of us, it suddenly wasn't so cheap. Depending on where you go, the options for a sole couple tend to be more expensive on a per capita basis.
I know that I priced it up in October re thinking of coming on a SHds bash or doing other diy options suggested or offered to me then, and couldn't get anything diy as cheap as a TO deal for 2 was priced back then.
ski holidays
Grizzler wrote:
I'll be picking SHds brains most likely next year. Easy once you've done it once or twice, no doubt Smile
(I did it quite happily back in my climbing days - which, repeat after me, are not over yet! - but it seemed all a bit easier back then, somehow; less internetty confusing, anyway, and I think I had a very definite destination in mind each time.)
You might win a bit on there being 4 to share, though. I saw quite a few chalets/apartments advertised at good prices recently, but when adding in supplements for only 2 of us, it suddenly wasn't so cheap. Depending on where you go, the options for a sole couple tend to be more expensive on a per capita basis.
I know that I priced it up in October re thinking of coming on a SHds bash or doing other diy options suggested or offered to me then, and couldn't get anything diy as cheap as a TO deal for 2 was priced back then.

We seem to be thinking along the same lines due to the lack of Scottish snow. I also find it really daunting trying to work out where to go, especially as we're a family of 4 & I can't afford to get it wrong.

Wouldn't worry me too much if I was just looking for trips for myself; it's trying to please others that makes it a rather more fraught experience!
ski holidays
@Grizzler, if you book an apartment direct you pay for the apartment not the number of people in it. I always book a bigger apartment just for 2 of us. it's a TO rip off to set a low price for an apt then charge supplements for under occupancy
latest report
@holidayloverxx, thanks. I'll hopefully find that if I book direct in future. I know I have been charged underoccupancy charges when booking via a booking 'agent' though (Italy, years ago) - tourist office or something similar. But you may well be right re TOs advertising artificially low prices (really annoys me when you search for 2 people specifically and it comes up with a nice price then says several web pages on that it's based on an occupancy of 6 Evil or Very Mad ).
Anyhows, that's all for the next trip(s) now snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy