Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Google Earth

Poster: A snowHead
By 'eck this is good fun if you get a good view... shame the Serre Chevalier slopes are from a summer picture, but the elevation and picture quality are superb. Got a good view of all the main slopes in cracking detail. It's great to move the globe to Hawaii or something then double click on a placename to let the earth spin and zoom in to your chosen location... brilliant and absorbing programme.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes - its good is'nt it!. Had a look at Ground Zero in NYC and it is a huge building site.

How often are these pics taken and updated does anyone know. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia, update seems to be a bit piecemeal - the images are from quite a range of sources and I get the impression that quite a few are one off surveys...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://earth.google.com/faq.html

Southern Alps are in high-res. Only had a quick looks for others and can confirm that Les Deux Alpes and Alpe D'Huez are low-res only so far...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've put the coordinates for a load of the world's ski resorts into http://www.world-ski-resorts.com. Some are great in hi-res and some are a bit smudgy. The Chilean resorts, for some reason, are the best. I agree, the southern French resorts aren't great, but Val d'Isere comes out alright.

Follow the links from:

http://www.world-ski-resorts.com/Main/GoogleEarth

or go to individual resort pages.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry brendangibson, I completely disagree! Serre Che is in super high-res and Val D'Isere is chunky low-res!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
woops. If only they'd let me use GoogleEarth at work...then I'd check first rather than rely on my addled memory. Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great application but I can't see any place names (except mountains which I've never heard of) to help me navigate around.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bottom left corner and look at the layers, if you tick the box named "Bars & clubs" that should get you round most places, failing that try roads, railways or populated places.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or type in names and places into the search box, e.g. "Montgenevre, France"

Actually, if you load up google earth then use Brendan's google earth layer from a few posts above, you'll see resort names in the list you can double-click on.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you have GPS device record a trace and upload to google earth, see here for one I did in Val d'Isere back in Jan 2006.

I think the run was 'pont four', I started the GPS trace at the bridge on the col d'iserean summer road. We first took gondola up Le Fornet then striaght off down the road away from Val. 90min skin up. Snow on way down was wind compacted untracked, however I'd hired some dynastar 8000 with touring bindings, I hadn't made a single turn on them until this point, took me most the run down to get use to them, too skinny, got use to my pocket rockets!

Looking forward to next season now, baby due any day so no more skiing this season, it hurts (not skiing that is!).

http://www.waynos.co.uk/adhoc/images/Val02Small.jpg

you can see on the trace we ended up in Manchet Valley, back up to Solaise and then down to Liasinant (the place in between le Fornet and Val) and then the bus to La Daille.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
waynos, like the link with google earth and your trace, but this is exactly something I want to be doing... What gps device did you use please?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled

I use my mobile phone (uk orange C500) with a TomTom bluetooth GPS receiver and the software for capturing is available at http://www.chtigps.com/

Any windows smartphone / pocket PC should run this software and you can use any bluetooth GPS receiver. The software outputs several file formats for the trace, the one I used with google earth was KML or maybe GPX.

I've also used the GPS to capture some windsurf sessions, I then played back the GPS trace using GPS Action Replay http://users.info.unicaen.fr/~mathet/gpsar/ on my PC. This is excellent because you can replay your movements and even load in a map / image of where you were. However I did try and replay my skiing traces with this software but it didn't work, I think I had upgraded the mobile phone chti gps software and the formats were not compatible anymore.

GPS is great fun and can be pretty practical too. The chti can automatically email / upload your current GPS co-ords to the internet, so friends could potentially watch
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, that looks pretty cool. Can you save that route into a GoogleEarth (kml) file? A 3-D navigable version would look better.

Are there any ski resorts out there who have 3-D piste maps like that yet? After skiing in Les Deux Alpes a couple of weeks ago, I know they could do with a redraw of their map...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brendangibson
Yes you can save as klm files, that's what I did. see http://www.chtigps.com/
latest report
Ive added placemarks for the runs, halfpipe and Athletes Olympic village used during last months Olympics at bardonecchia
snow report
where?
ski holidays
I've placed the placemarks onto Google Earth.

Here's a quick pic of the page. You can zoom down a lot further and make out in great detail the halfpipe and all the runs etc.

snow conditions
no_snow_in_swindon, is that YOUR copy of GoogleEarth?
ski holidays
No. Just the standard free download from the google earth web page.

just make sure you have the communities turned on.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy