Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wind Jacket Only. No Rain Jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I thru-hiked the AT this year and took the standard rain gear as anyone would for the AT. I had a OR Helium II and a ULA rain skirt. I learned two important things for me on the hike: 1- the rain gear on the AT was many times useless for rain protection due to already constantly being wet with sweat and 2- unless the temperature was in the 30s, I was usually warm enough while hiking with shorts and a short sleeved shirt. No jacket, gloves, beanie, etc... Ultimately, I only wore my rain jacket or skirt if I spent time on top of a windy, foggy, misty mountain top while taking a break. It did work well for holding in warmth. If it rained I usually chose not to wear my gear.

I've heard that there's much less rain on the PCT when compared to the AT.

What are your thoughts on me taking a wind breaker instead of my rain jacket on a NOBO PCT thru-hike? ( I still plan to take my rain skirt.). It seems like I can find a wind breaker that will not only hold my warmth, but will also weigh less and breath better than a rain jacket. And if it rains, I'll just get wet. Or if it's raining and cold, I'll wear my wind breaker and my rain skirt to hold in warmth.

So specifically, would you take a wind breaker in place of a rain jacket?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 22-02-19 8:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

unless the temperature was in the 30s, I was usually warm enough while hiking with shorts and a short sleeved shirt. No jacket, gloves, beanie, etc... Ultimately,

Gulp, Not suprised you were sweating. I'd be in shorts in the 20s
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AT
OR
ULA
PCT
NOBO

WTAF? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
AT = Appalachian Trail ??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't start sentences with "so".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NOBO PCT probably means Northbound Pacific Crest Trail. And for someone from New Jersey "30s" is probably in fahrenheit, so close to freezing.

No idea why OP is asking for advice on here!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Wamomal

Welcome to Snowheads.

You do know this is a (mostly UK based) skiing/snow sports forum and most won’t know what the AT (Appalachian Trail) or PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) are.

I can’t help you with your question but I do subscribe to Darwin onthetrail on YouTube and did enjoy his thur hike of the PCT and AT. He’s done a few gear video/reviews which you should check out.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One my favourite PCT videos.

http://youtube.com/v/0PleoqR7VjY
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
Don't start sentences with "so".

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy