Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes Off Piste and Warmer Temps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm considering heading out to Tignes 3-10th of March for some Off-Piste with Snoworks. Just looking at the temperatures in the long range forecast and it looks like it could be spring like conditions with not much snow forecast in the next 10 days. I've skied a fair bit in Tignes but never in spring snow. Any experience of how it bears up?

I'm keen to try the Snoworks course (along with my Son...first time OP for him), but I'm more interested in decent conditions....

jim
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads @adaptedsilence
Steve Angus says "off piste options for those who want real snow off piste as opposed to just the experience of it are becoming thinner on the ground day by day!" He's based in Val D'Isere but very often skis Tignes also.
His blog is here
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nothing to worry about spring skiing is great.

I have seen quite a few people skiing 0ff piste this morning.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It is two weeks away. Weather and forecast will probably change.

I have done an off-piste Snoworks course in Tignes end April - had a fab time!

There is more to off-piste than fresh snow and powder. You will love it!

They often do an all-terrain course at the same time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spring snow is ace, but timing is everything. If you get a Snoworks local who knows the mountain well you will have a great time and learn a lot regarding off piste safety.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spring snow is superb, a pretty honest day to day off piste diary for Val D'Isere is here https://alpineexperience.com/en/waynes-diary/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm in the same boat as you! Thinking about an off piste week at roughly the same time but been put off for now by the temps.

I did an off piste week in Tignes two seasons ago during the first week of March and it was really warm. From memory +6 at Val Claret at 9am most mornings. TBH I didn't really enjoy it. We spent all day hunting around for small patches of half decent snow. The mornings were just rubbish - bullet proof. Afternoons were ok at best. I understand it was March (early though) but it was really warm and the snow really suffered. As others above have commented - I'm sure it can be good and maybe I got a rubbish week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go to Japan.

European offpiste is rarely good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BMG, who was that with? Any decent guide should be able to find decent spring snow assuming the sun was out and it froze at night? If it hadn't transformed then it'd be very hard to find decent snow!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@adaptedsilence, have done a few end of season off piste gigs with Snoworks , even into may !! spring snow rocks , Tignes is a fab resort and has many aspects allowing for good off piste days long after fresh snow , you'll have a great time and snow could defiantly still fall before you go out .

also if your sons first experience of off piste , its quite nice to have good viz and stable conditions snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, It was with UCPA. I have had nothing but good experiences with them prior to that. I think one of the issues may have been that the group was quite varied in ability even though it was labelled as Expert Off Piste - there were people in the group with only 2 weeks Off Piste experience. I was pretty annoyed with that. There weren't any other Off Piste groups that week to shuffle people around either. The guide did say at the end of week "Imagine if it was just you and me all week".....what could have been! Asides that, I have never been a fan of slush and bullet proof, both of which you get in spring. Maybe I should give it another shot but surely Off Piste is going to be bullet proof until at least 11am, so two hours wasted already?!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BMG, You'd pick slopes that get early sun and they'd soften fairly quick under a strong sun....then follow the sun as it softens the slopes. Timing it spot on and it really is fantastic, you can really let the skis run!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kitenski, I wish it were that easy at the moment but the bigger picture is far more complex.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well thanks for all the input folks. I’ve booked the trip so we’ll just have to see. I’ve had sensational off piste in The Espace Killy before and had amazing conditions in Serre Chevalier last year. It’s almost a completely different sport when you factor in conditions. Bit like surfing - never the same and always unpredictable. I guess that’s what makes the special moments so special. Will report back!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy