Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help find the right resort for beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

This is my first post but I’ve been lurking for a while and hoping you can all help with our ‘problem friends’
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Baileysmum, welcome to Snowheads.

Please fire away with the requirements... in what way are your friends a "problem".... when are they going, what is under consideration.... what is their budget?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Layne, seems I managed to only post half my post lol

They had a bad experience with their first ski holiday ( instructor wasn’t right for them, slopes closed for three days due to bad weather and the nursery slopes were at the bottom of a couple of red runs so got taken out several times by out of control teens which knocked their confidence). They vowed they would never ski again but I’m sure the right resort and instructor would change their minds.
I’m hoping someone can suggest somewhere with quiet nursery slopes, a good ski school
And some decent apres ( early 50s so won’t be partying all night), looking to go in March.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Albiez-Montrond is a small, quiet and very pretty, family resort in the Maurienne valley in France. Absolutely no hooners. Could be ideal but possibly not late March when it could lack snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome @Baileysmum, first off I'd suggest they potter off to their nearest snowdome or dry slope for some lessons, that way they will be quickley off the beginner slopes and away from the chaos that usually happens. If its March plenty of time to get to standard that they could safely negotiate any green and some easy blues. Late March could be getting spring like so head somewhere high like say Les 2 Alpes or Val Thorens (to name just 2 I like) or head north. Norway is no more hideously expensive than the alps, particularly if they don't want to go and get steaming drunk every night! I can thoroughly recommend the ski school in Trysil beginner slopes safely out of the way, loads of big sweeping blues through the forest as they progress and great instructors.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with @altis, about going for small area as seem to offer much in way of calm approach you request.

In addition to above I'd suggest Sainte Foy Tarantaise as somewhere to really find their feet in a less intimidating environment. Very friendly and relaxed, we've been getting friends and whole families introduced to skiing there, all with very good outcome. Been there most of March weeks, snow always good at this time.

It's a just a very much more manageable experience in places of this size, with beginner slopes right in village centre plus very good green and blue progressing routes. Even when busy there's space and more consideration taken. It takes the worries out of it for people taking initial steps.

Not massive nightlife, but great feel to what is there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome.

You need somewhere flat.

And ski-in, ski-out.

Makes it easier and safer.

Try Courchevel 1850, La Rosiere, or Avoriaz, France.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Plagne could fit your bill.

Massive area with a lot of variation so will suit both the experienced and beginner skier. Numerous "villages" to stay in all with a slightly different feel to them. You can stay lower down for a more traditional feel in Montalbert, Les Coches or Montchavin. All (if I remember correctly) have really nice blue runs down to them through the trees (so good for bad vis days). I seem to remember they also both had nice "learner" areas in the Villages (someone may correct me as we were just passing through).

Centre is where it's at in regards to bars etc. We stayed in Plagne Village just above Centre. We were piste side (ski in/out) on a lovely gentle blue. There is a bubble that runs down to Centre to explore the bars in the evening (runs into the evening).
All above Plagne Village, Soleil and Centre is blue heaven. Loads of cruisey blues.

Decent lifts all around. Avoiding the peak times, you'll be skiing rather than queuing.

Quite a choice of ski schools as well, again if my memory is correct. From English private lessons to "French" style group lessons. We used Oxygene. 5 mornings of group lessons. They were good we thought. Go private though if they really want to progress quickly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Baileysmum, ski school and instructor seems absolutely critical here. I would change the thread title to get recommendations on that primarily. I haven't any specific recs myself as I haven't done any recently but you will get lots of replies.

Second half of March is a great time to go. Whilst you can still get some proper mountain weather they'll not have the weather problems they did last time - which to be honest was a bit unlucky.

It's encouraging they may be up to a second go.

By the way, where did they go last time?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alta Badia in the Dolomites has a ton of easy terrain and lots of sun. The food and scenery are as good as anywhere and better than most. Seems very affordable compared to CH or FR. Nightlife varies by village; I've only stayed in San Cassiano and its about as quiet as a ski village gets so not the one for you. Other SHs can provide direction about that and the ski school situation. Regardless of where your friends go, if they don't like their instructor they should get a different one without delay. There is a bit of luck involved, unfortunately. The fact that Alta Badia connects with 11 other ski areas strikes me as useless to your friends, but neither is that a reason to avoid it if it otherwise fit the bill.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for Trysil in Norway. The Park In side of the resort is a beginners dream. Don’t go self catered though as food and drink are really expensive. Apart from that it’s perfect.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ll have a look at then all. @Fridge03 I’m heading to La Plagne 1st March so will be able to check out the beginners areas there.
Really hope they give it another go, I just need to find a couple of places to tempt them
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1st Question should be is it a Ski Holiday or a Winter Holiday with some skiing in it? Sounds daft but think it through.

- Select a resort with minimal transfer time and preferably a less congested airport with good links. (Salzburg or Verona perhaps)
- Select a valley based town with plenty of alternatives if the skiing doesn't catch on. Grand Bornand, Alta Badia, Alpbach, Zell am Zee spring to mind. Do NOT go to La Plagne.
- Make sure you get an English Instructor, much more likely in Switzerland or Austria than France/Italy.
- Don't book 6 day ski pass in advance for your friends, go day by day.
- Take your time getting boots and skis fitted. Comfort will be key.
- Consider a location with different areas for variety. If you don't like one then go elsewhere to ski. (Aravis is Grand Bornand/La Clusez, Ski Amade is Flachau/Schladming and more for example)
- You didn't mention kids but if there are any then a lot of the Austrian areas offer free passes for U-18s after 16 Mar 19.
- Book at least one other non-skiing activity. Snow Shoeing, "Therme" Spa, Sledging and so on.
- Get the best accommodation you can afford.

Best of Luck.
- Be prepared to drink more!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I love La Plagne but no way would I recommend it for beginners. Alpe d'Huez is worth a mention as the beginner area is next to the accomodation, served by a short gondola ride (no chairs or button lifts to worry about) and great for improvers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Make sure you get an English Instructor, much more likely in Switzerland or Austria than France

There are plenty of British instructors (quite a few Scottish rather than English.....) in France. And quite a few British-owned ski schools too. Don't think you'll find many of them in Austria. wink

Ski convenience and quality of instruction are the two key elements here. They won't mind a slightly longer transfer or less than swish accommodation provided the skiing goes well and they don't have to trek around in ski boots or clamber on and off buses.

Actually, weather and snow conditions are probably more important than anything! If going to France, go the second week in March, when the French school hols are finished. Probably the best week of the year to choose.

If they will be taking private lessons, Les Saisies would be an ideal resort, but group lessons will be in French.
snow report
Another +1 for Trysil in Norway. Good instruction, lots of lovely gentle pistes and quiet during the week when we were there which sounds like it's key to getting confidence back after hating a busy resort. Snow should be fine in March.

I would aim for the Tourist Center side though for a bit more life; there is a beginner area there as well. The Park Inn side has limited apres, though the apres we saw in the whole resort wasn't quite Austrian standard. Laughing The main joy of the Tourist Center side is the gorgeous blue runs (13, 61, 62), wide and through the trees. The rat run to get back over to Park Inn can be very busy and unpleasant even though it's a green. Once your friends have had a couple of lessons they will easily cope with blue 35 over to Hoegga and on over to Hoyfjellcenter.

It is a bit expensive but not much worse than the more pricey big French resorts. Hot chocolate is cheap at least!
ski holidays
Maybe take a look at Seefeld in Austria.
Direct Train from Innsbruck.
Mountain is mostly blues (60%+) & big enough town to be have a wonder.
If things dont work out or they fancy a break, they can always do a day trip to Innsbruck or even Kitz.
latest report
Baileysmum wrote:
They had a bad experience with their first ski holiday ( instructor wasn’t right for them, slopes closed for three days due to bad weather and the nursery slopes were at the bottom of a couple of red runs so got taken out several times by out of control teens which knocked their confidence).
And some decent apres ( early 50s so won’t be partying all night), looking to go in March.

I'd actually be tempted to suggest Ischgl. This will usually trigger a string of people saying it's 'not a good resort for beginners' but it's where, not knowing any better both I (in my mid-30s) and one of my friends (in early-40s) learnt to ski successfully. They'll be taking the gondols both up and down (home reds aren't for the faint hearted) but once up there the main nursary slope's off to the side of everything else and the progression slope's massively wide, so room for everyone. Both my friend and I has 2 weeks of ski school each and a few private lessons and maybe we were luckey but neither of us had any issues with any of our instructors.

The one thing Ischgl WILL give them is the full Austrian 'apres ski between skiing and dinner' experience - and for me as a beginner a short soak in the tub followed by the infectiously happy vibe washed away memories of the day's falls and frustrations. That, dinner at 7:30 and bed by 10pm had me reset ready for the next day.
snow report
Montegenvre would be a good choice. The nursery slopes are right by the village and roped off from the main runs, so all the fast confident people get directed round. There's a green slope from the top of the mountain all the way down, so when you're ready to progress you've got some nice long runs to practice on. Lots of nice blues and easy reds too. A-Peak ski school were brilliant with me, some of the best lessons I've had.
snow conditions
Thanks so much, lots to think about. We are looking at second week of March next year to avoid school holidays and hopefully get some decent conditions. We would be going with them so would want a ski resort so far my short list is Courchevel, Alpe d,Huez,Corvara and I will suggest Trysil too. I think they would like Austria but can’t decide on a suitable resort. Montegenvre is also a good choice, this short list is getting longer haha!

The holiday they didn’t enjoy was Arinsal, where lots of small negatives added up to eventually a totally miserable time for them. I’m thinking somewhere with some other activities like snow shoeing,dog sledding etc would be a good idea to take the focus off just skiing.

We will def need to drink more Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
If they are keen for Austria, perhaps look at the Skiwelt resorts? Some good blues, wasn't horribly busy when we went in March last year (we stayed in westendorf), Kitzbuhel is easily accessible for something different. Or stay in Kirchberg? Think the beginner slopes are up top on the Brixen side of the Skiwelt, avoiding that 'stuck at the bottom of mountain' feeling I had as a learner!

Green runs aren't a thing in Austria but they'd soon get the hang of which blues were best in lessons.

The snow was amazing end of March last year.
ski holidays
I'd echo @welshskier, about La Plagne entirely. Great place to visit but given the requirements of getting someone having already experienced what they don't want, I don't think it fulfils the brief.

It'll be interesting to see what you make of it on your visit @Baileysmum, certainly regarding their obvious safety related concerns.

My suggestion of a smaller place I feel is valid and supported by some of the other recommendations. They certainly have a different pace, especially in March, for both scope of piste plus ski tuition.

We where last March second week in Ste foy, followed by third week in Les Arcs to ski that area. The contrast between the two couldn't have been greater with much much sharper pace and general feeling of random direction of skiers on some very wide piste. It's not a criticism as we had a very good week, but all fairly experienced skiers. You certainly have to have a heightened sense of spacial awareness in those circumstances, something that someone concentrating on progressing their personal ski skills could struggle with.

It just doesn't seem to match conditions with your friends concerns.
ski holidays
I'm not sure about La Plagne for absolute beginners. It's fine (and indeed a lovely resort) once you're up to cruisey blues sort of level.

Of the resorts I know, I agree with Alpe d'Huez and Courchevel.

Alpe d'Huez is usually my tip for beginners: it has two large beginner areas, both just above the resort. High enough that snow will be decent. No trees or cover, but in March that shouldn't be too much of a problem; indeed in general it's one of the sunniest resorts around. Also, being a big resort, there are plenty of non skiing options, and a wide choice of ski schools and instruction. It also has a handful of free lifts, so check with ski school before buying a pass (you may not need it for the first couple of days). Going outside school holidays should mean it won't be too busy either, and easy to get affordable accomodation next to the slopes.
latest report
We did Andorra as our first ski holiday and it really suited. Its very cheap compared to the Alps etc and much more geared up towards the less serious skier.
ski holidays
alexb123a wrote:
We did Andorra as our first ski holiday and it really suited. Its very cheap compared to the Alps etc and much more geared up towards the less serious skier.

But logically Andorra is out of the equation, as they went to Arinsal on their last holiday and had a "miserable time".
I'd suggest the Skiwelt too. Have a look at Westendorf. Another alternative would be Alpbach.
snow report
I loce Andorra but yes it’s definitely out of the question, will look at those options too Sugamoma666, thanks
ski holidays
Oops yes I didn't see the second half of the post. Yes does sound like a very bad experience. I think it was more bad luck than anything but don't give up. Skiing is worth the effort, and like everything its about learning what's and where you like and getting good advice, hence your post here Smile
latest report
I just need everything to be right if we can persuade them to give it another go.

I’ve been recommended a British ski school in Avoriaz, does anyone know what the beginner area is like there?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Baileysmum wrote:
Thanks so much, lots to think about. We are looking at second week of March next year to avoid school holidays and hopefully get some decent conditions. We would be going with them so would want a ski resort so far my short list is Courchevel, Alpe d,Huez,Corvara and I will suggest Trysil too. I think they would like Austria but can’t decide on a suitable resort. Montegenvre is also a good choice, this short list is getting longer haha!

The holiday they didn’t enjoy was Arinsal, where lots of small negatives added up to eventually a totally miserable time for them. I’m thinking somewhere with some other activities like snow shoeing,dog sledding etc would be a good idea to take the focus off just skiing.

We will def need to drink more Laughing Laughing

From experience, I’d cross Alpe d’Huez off the list. The main beginner and learning error can become a bit busy as much of it is a cut through from the main mountain to the town.

Montgenevre is a good choice IMHO.

Radstadt in the Ski Amade could work well. Have a look at Austrian Adventures - Brit run chalet. Nice folks, too.

Gosau in Dachstein West May be an option for loads of other alpine activities. It’s also possible to take a 4 days out of 6 ski pass that enables skiers to blend in other activities without losing a day or two on the slopes. Reasonable prices on the mountains for food and drinks and the area has real charm....tree-lined skiing, old traditional mountain huts, mostly very benign and accessible skiing.
snow conditions
Baileysmum wrote:
Hi

This is my first post but I’ve been lurking for a while and hoping you can all help with our ‘problem friends’

I Wouldn't bother. It sounds like the sort of people who complain about everything and ruin your holiday. Go with someone else or by yourselves and keep them as non skiing friends. Smile
snow report
Montgenevre is a good choice, but only if they really want to.
ski holidays
+1 for Montgenevre and A Peak, some nice confidence building runs and a fantastic ski school. Great Italian restaurants and a nice village with some good apres ski bars. Not one for the big partygoers though
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy