Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiline/SkiWorld/BA ski carriage?

Poster: A snowHead
After any experience anyone has had regarding trying to book ski carriage with a Skiline/SkiWorld package?

A mate has booked us to go to Lech next weekend, but is saying that he can't book the ski carriage in advance and he's been told to sort it directly with the airline (BA) at the airport. My issue is that at some stage during the booking, he's been told that getting the skis on the plane 'shouldn't be a problem'. He doesn't seem that phased by it and says he'll rent if he needs to, my issues are that a) my set up is for touring, so renting replacements is highly unlikely and b) if we arrive at check in at Gatwick and find we can't get the skis on board, what are we meant to do with them?

I keep getting told from various sources that 'you'll be fine' or 'there isn't usually a problem', but I've never had a ski trip booked without having ski carriage confirmed along with the flights etc.

My mate contacted BA to try and confirm it, but they required some PIN code off SkiWorld who were unwilling to give it out as it contained all the passenger details for that flight, which is fair enough.

Anyone had any similar issues?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@QRZBuddha, BA will take skis free of charge as part of you checked bag allowance but not in addition. What this means is if you turn up with a coffin bag with skis in it plus boots clothing etc and the weight is under your allowance (23kg ?) then you are ok. Plus carry on luggage is also up to 23kg as long as it fits the right dimensions. I’ve done this before and will be doing n 15th March.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevinraine wrote:
@QRZBuddha, BA will take skis free of charge as part of you checked bag allowance but not in addition. What this means is if you turn up with a coffin bag with skis in it plus boots clothing etc and the weight is under your allowance (23kg ?) then you are ok. Plus carry on luggage is also up to 23kg as long as it fits the right dimensions. I’ve done this before and will be doing n 15th March.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/sporting-goods-and-musical-instruments

That's when using them as a scheduled airline, this is charter where the game changes sadly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kamikaze Pete wrote:
kevinraine wrote:

That's when using them as a scheduled airline, this is charter where the game changes sadly.

Yeah, that's where all the confusion seems to stem from.. seems ridiculous to me Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@QRZBuddha, but is it a charter or have the travel company just booked a group onto a scheduled flight. Does your friend have a flight number? Where is he flying from/too?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kevinraine, i's the latter, hence why skiworld won't release the pin number..

I've just heard from my mate and apparently he's been told by BA it won't be an issue which has put my mind at ease a little..

Still all sounds like a recipe for stitching everyone up and forcing them to rent or something though
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just came off the same flight yesterday (Skiworld charter from GTW to FDH) and it's not a problem - at check in BA confirmed we could check in ski gear plus another bag (in fact, up to three bags in total).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am hoping Norwegian are equally good with skis
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, we had the same problem with Neilson BA charter flight , lgw to Salz.
At check in we were told by BA staff that we could gave taken skis on top of 23kgs suitcase.
I had sent my skis by courier for £78 return, door to door.
Can I say that Airoluggage were absolutely great service. I would totally recommend.
Cheaper than renting and a lot less hassle than lugging to LGW.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@QRZBuddha, We travelled from Gatwick on BA to Freirichschafen to stay in Lech (actually Zug) with Skiworld a couple of weeks ago. When we booked, Skiworld said we could book ski carriage, but that our allowance was 7kg per ski bag. I thought that was rubbish, but to make sure we just booked ski carriage x2. We still put both pairs in one bag, along with some other bits and bobs.
When we got to check in, bag weighed in at 19kg, but it wasn't a problem. I don't think the person checking us in even noticed TBH or cared. My hunch is you'll be fine, but I would make sure you check in early, and not leave it until 2 hours before flight. I think the 7kg thing is something Skiworld say, but not BA (ie, a revenue stream Madeye-Smiley ).
Good luck.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There seems to be a disconnect between the booking systems / process the tour companies and the BA process when it comes to ski carriage. Tour companies are geared towards charter and there is a mismatch when they use BA. If you have a booking reference that shows in the BA app / website then you should be good to follow the BA luggage rules: 1 bag 23kgs into which you can store skis / board.. boots go hand luggage as per their advice on the snow sport luggage page.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all, I'm a lot happier about the while thing now Madeye-Smiley

thecramps wrote:
@QRZBuddha, We travelled from Gatwick on BA to Freirichschafen to stay in Lech (actually Zug) with Skiworld a couple of weeks ago. When we booked, Skiworld said we could book ski carriage, but that our allowance was 7kg per ski bag. I thought that was rubbish, but to make sure we just booked ski carriage x2. We still put both pairs in one bag, along with some other bits and bobs.
When we got to check in, bag weighed in at 19kg, but it wasn't a problem. I don't think the person checking us in even noticed TBH or cared. My hunch is you'll be fine, but I would make sure you check in early, and not leave it until 2 hours before flight. I think the 7kg thing is something Skiworld say, but not BA (ie, a revenue stream Madeye-Smiley ).
Good luck.

I think Zug is where we're going too, what did you think of it?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flying BA in 2 weeks down to Heathrow and then on to Calagary. We've booked with Ski Safari. I've been told that BA now charge for ski carriage and we can't pre book them so have to pay on check in.

Anyone know how much this will cost? Apparently as we're coming back with Air Canada first it goes by their rules so I think we only pay on outward.

Says on BA website that its £65 for additional sports equipment but to me that sounds like it's if you are taking skis plus a regular suitcase- 2 of us travelling taking one case and one double ski tube.

Last time we took skis on this journey it was all free.. but that was 2013!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@QRZBuddha, We really liked it. There is shaff all there, but quick and regular buses to Lech, and the lift is handy to get up the hill. Getting back not to bad either, but some may find Zuppert quite hard. If you are in Pension Furka, you have got great hosts, there food is excellent. We had a blast, a really nice place. But not if you are a party animal. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Give BA a call?
I didn't get a lot of help as I didn't have a BA booking reference, only Neilson ski.
Consider Airo.luggage. ...they were excellent.
snow conditions
@MCL, we are doing a similar trip using United/Air Canada with BA for local leg. It doesn’t work well in a number of ways. We upgraded to business class on the local leg to Heathrow and you get two bags each which solved the problem.

Why o why did BA have to get rid of the Calgary fligt....it’s made our annual trip to Banff a lot more complicated this year....
snow report
Update on this.. we rocked up to Gatwick and got the skis checked in no problem, and no charge!

Was half expecting to get stung at Friedrichshafen on the return leg, but no charge again Little Angel

Not sure I'd be happy risking it without some kind of confirmation though
ski holidays
@MCL - Also doing this trip down to Heathrow with BA and then onto Calgary with Air Canada and have been looking for some info on the baggage. Best thing I found was a bit on crystal ski's website (not going with them btw - booked it all independently) that states the ski carriage for BA is 23kg and will cost £65 on the outward journey but coming back it won't cost as Air Canada will put the bags right through. It was all a lot simpler when Air Transat flew there direct and ski's were free !Here's the info -

Ski carriage with BA
Ski carriage is not a bookable option with British Airways, but you can take your equipment by booking it as an extra bag. The maximum weight for each bag is 23kg and your skis and poles or board must be packed in a recognised ski or board bag. To book, visit www.britishairways.com, select the 'Manage my booking' tab and enter your name and airline reference number (supplied on your travel document). Prices are listed on their website. Please note that if you're travelling on a British Airways domestic flight and connecting to an Air Canada flight to Canada, you will not be able to pre-book your ski bag. Payment for ski bags will be taken at the check in desk.

Ski carriage with Air Canada
Your ski carriage allowance is one bag at 23kg. Ski boots can be carried separately as part of this allowance, as long as the boot bag contains only boots.

Ski carriage is free on all Air Canada flights so we'll add ski carriage to all bookings. Please visit the baggage pages at www.aircanada.com for details on what can and cannot be carried

Please note that if you're travelling on a British Airways (BA) domestic flight and connecting to an Air Canada flight, you will need to pay for your ski bag at the BA check-in desk. Unfortunately, BA do not have the availability to do this in advance when connecting to a different airline. You will only need to do this for the outbound flight as, on the return flight, your bags will be checked all the way through to your final destination by Air Canada and they will not charge you for your skis.
snow conditions
Just back from Colorado on BA flights with a Skiworld package. We each had 23kg so packed one large ski bag with extra clothes in it and another bag. Extra stuff went into cabin baggage (2 bags each, one large and one small). Skiworld will give you your reference to check in and it will be the reference which is on your itinery (which they should have given you but I had to request it a few days before the trip). You can pay for an extra bag but you should be able to do it within your allowance. Hope this helps.
snow report
Just back from flying with BA and Air Canada - can confirm that there was no problem checking the ski bag in and didn't get charged by BA either as the connection with Air Canada was all on the same ticket. So, total luggage checked in was 2 x bags, 1 x ski bag (containing 2 sets of skis, poles, ski pants & jackets and gloves) and hand-luggage.

Bags were checked all the way through on the way there and back.
snow report
So I went with Norweigan as part of Ski Beat, no questions or comments on the ski bag at all, brought it back with two pairs of skis and my boots in it as a minimum.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy