Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Picnic Alpe d’Huez/Oz

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Does any one know if Alpe d’Heuz or Oz has some indoor picnic areas? Alternatively any good picnic table areas?

Thanks.

P.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know of any indoor picnic areas, but there are a few picnic tables dotted around, not many. There's a red run if I remember from the top of Dome des Rousses down to the top of the Alpette lift, and there's a picnic table on the left towards the bottom, I think the run is called Rousses. Nice view. I couldn't remember any others, so just got the piste map out and it shows picnic tables Oz-Vaujany at the top of Montfrais 2 lift (but I don't recall it), and at the top of L'Alpette. At ADH, on the way down the blue run 'couloir', from the top of DMC2, in the blue run area off the run 'villard' on the back of Signal 2115 - I vaguely recall this this, and it is off the piste. A few on the blue/green runs down from the top of Romains but I don't recall them. If you can download a piste map online it should show picnic areas. However, they aren't great - just a picnic table. If you haven't been before, it's a great place to ski, we stay in Oz (back there for 2 weeks from 23/2, and have been going for 5 years, we love it. : )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From sataski:

"- Deux salles hors sacs vous attendent pour les piques niques en famille : l’une située sur le Plateau de Montfrais pour les skieurs, l’autre sur la Place du Téléphérique."

There are also picnic tables shown on the piste map.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
From sataski:

"- Deux salles hors sacs vous attendent pour les piques niques en famille : l’une située sur le Plateau de Montfrais pour les skieurs, l’autre sur la Place du Téléphérique."

I got the idea that they have closed the Montfrais one now, could be wrong, know nothing about the other one.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's really useful, I've never seen anywhere at either of the locations, but will look out for them next time! We're taking friends with kids with us shortly so very handy, thanks davidof. : )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skitow wrote:
davidof wrote:
From sataski:

I got the idea that they have closed the Montfrais one now, could be wrong, know nothing about the other one.

That's bad Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
reneesb wrote:
That's really useful, I've never seen anywhere at either of the locations, but will look out for them next time! We're taking friends with kids with us shortly so very handy, thanks davidof. : )

As you get off the bubbles from Vaujany it is the building on the right, to the right of the beginner conveyor belt. I do have the idea they have closed it though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think I know the building you mean skitow, it's part of the complex of the lift going up to Dome des Rousses? That's the only building I can think of other than the restaurant. There are loos there, but I'd not noticed anything else. We'll check it out and give an update : )
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No, the one at Montfrais, or used to be if I am right, is the one to the left of the conveyor / magic carpet on google maps here (under label "Montfrais Station) :-

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/45.1625938,6.0991031//@45.1628241,6.0990803,103m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was the Salle Hors Sac because we used to go there, it has a garage underneath that they keep the gaitor half track in and the upstairs was split between a canteen for lifties and salle hors sac. There was a big sign on the gable end that has now gone. Entrance was on the top side, furthest from the bubble station.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Half way down chez roger run there's a fun picnic spot with a kids wooden hut and a few tables...great view up on a small rise overlooking pistes....we were there today in glorious sunshine!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from staying in Vaujany. There is a Salle Hors Sac just at the top of the Montfrais gondola from Vaujany. It's tucked behind the bottom of the covered magic carpet. There are 2 picnic benches on the blue piste that traverses from the top of the Montfrais chair towards the Clos Giraud chair, as well as another 2 or 3 just further on where that piste meets the Chalets piste just above the Clos Giraud chair. The second lot are accessible from the Chalets piste which runs down from the mid station of the Alpette cable car to Montfrais. There are another 2, as pointed out above, on the left just above the Alpette mid station. There are 2 or 3 more at the Alpette mid station on skiers left as you reach the station next to a wooden hut, as well as some 'park benches' immediately beside the ramp walk up to the cable car.

We also picnicked on rocks on the Sarenne glacier and on also on the way down from the Alpette cable car (2800m) to the DMC 2/3 station (2700). Absolutely baking up on the glacier as it's sheltered in the top bowl (wind direction dependent obv).

There are 6 or 8 outside the entrance to the DMC2 above AdH.

Happy picnicking!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@grazzenger, The salle hors sac definitely still open at Montfrais ? I must ave been mistaken then. Good if it is, great cheap alternative for families especially Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It certainly looked so, although we only used it as a loo stop as the weather was far too nice to be inside!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skitow The sign on the gable end is back, hence we spotted it.
snow report
@grazzenger, OK great, thanks, handy to know that.
snow conditions
reneesb wrote:
I don't know of any indoor picnic areas, but there are a few picnic tables dotted around, not many. There's a red run if I remember from the top of Dome des Rousses down to the top of the Alpette lift, and there's a picnic table on the left towards the bottom, I think the run is called Rousses. Nice view. I couldn't remember any others, so just got the piste map out and it shows picnic tables Oz-Vaujany at the top of Montfrais 2 lift (but I don't recall it), and at the top of L'Alpette. At ADH, on the way down the blue run 'couloir', from the top of DMC2, in the blue run area off the run 'villard' on the back of Signal 2115 - I vaguely recall this this, and it is off the piste. A few on the blue/green runs down from the top of Romains but I don't recall them. If you can download a piste map online it should show picnic areas. However, they aren't great - just a picnic table. If you haven't been before, it's a great place to ski, we stay in Oz (back there for 2 weeks from 23/2, and have been going for 5 years, we love it. : )

Thanks for the advice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy