Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St. Anton recommendations (or Ischgl)

Poster: A snowHead
Folks, I need your help/info regarding St. Anton/Ischgl.
I plan to be there for a week starting with March 9. Previously considered SkiWelt but due to the warmer temp and lower altitudes we decided on St. Anton or Ischgl, thus flying to Zurich.
The hotels' prices are high, of course. Dsappointing results with AirBnB.
Is there a nearby village which will be more suitable? We can rent a car instead of arriving by train, but I imagine the saving by staying further away will be less than the price of rental/fuel/parking.
I found a recommendation here for Reselehof hotel in St Anton, sent them an inquiry. Any other ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reselehof is very close to Nassereinbahn, ie good location. No idea about the accommodation standard.

You will save money if you stay down the valley from St Anton. You could try places like St Jakob, Pettneu, and Flirsch. Free ski buses run to each of them.

Alternatively, you could try the other side of St Anton, eg Langen.

I do question you basing your decision on the assumed weather 3 weeks away.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ulmerhutte, thanks for the info. Reselehof just answered me, they are supposed to be a good 3 starts hotel. They have good online reviews, I saw here that munich irish positively mentioned them. €200 per night with breakfast and they are only available for 6 nights.
Gonna check the villages you mentioned.
Regarding the weather, I get you. Of course it can't be predicted 3 weeks from now. There's plenty of snow but it is getting much warmer for the following week.
My buddy felt less happy skiing in those conditions. I, on the other hand, am booked for the EOSB at the end of april. Ice, powder or slush, I just want to ski.
We felt comfortable going higher, hence St. Anton. Or Ischgl.
My ambitious (crazy?) plan of renting a car, finding a spot east of Kitzbuhel and going for the Salzburg Super Skipass (about €30 more) in order to get to SkiWelt, Kitz and Saalbach will have to wait till next Dec./Jan
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If going Ischgl, Kappl is way cheaper, and a 5 minute bus ride. Kappl actually have a pretty good offpiste reputation, and not too many People there. Easy to find somewhere to stay for good money. In my experience, Ischgl hold the snow better than Arlberg, but when the snow is there, Alberg gets more. I prefer Ischgl when conditions are not perfect, so it would be my choice right now - but WHO can tell what will happen in the next 3 weeks - could be different, and Arlberg having tons of fresh Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Reselehof is a good spot but not the cheapest, especially peak season. The outlying villages work better for St Anton than Ischgl. Pettneu, Schnann and Flirsch have good ski bus connections to St Anton. In Ischgl the connections to places outside of the village itself are not that good. Pettneu is a good option as it is only 10 minutes on the bus from St Anton, there are night buses too, even taxis are not too expensive and there are a number of bars and restaurants in the village. No need to have a car.

I just looked on the St Anton website (it covers the outlying villages too) for a double room from the 9th to 16th, lots of choice from a pension at under €400 for the week to a super luxury hotel at € 7,500. Given that you are looking for a week you should not have any great issues though whether you will find something you like for a price you want to pay........

I am inclined to think you are right not to risk Skiwelt, given the amount of lying snow at the moment it will very probably be OK but it is due to be very warm for the next week or so and then who knows. If you want certainty now rather than wait to book then maybe not Skiwelt etc.

Dont think your idea about the Super Skipass is a bad one, staying somewhere like Fieberbrunn or St Johann, looking to visit a good number of the resorts nearby. If you need to book a good bit in advance I would say look to late January or early February to have the best chance of good conditions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
.. forgot - maybe look at Galtur also. Galtur is also a five minute bus ride too, but in the other direction. I believe that sunweb has a good and cheap hotel there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As DanishRider has said, there are places in the Ischgl valley that are all linked by bus. It's about 15 mins from Galtur to Ischgl dorf. There are also places called Tschafein, See Mathon and Wirl. But basically pretty much anywhere in the valley between See (at the lower end of the valley) and Wirl (at the end of the road) is on the regular skibus route and would be fine. There's a boat-load of accommodation out there so you may well find something that suits - depending on how much you fancy getting a car, it's also totally feasible to get the train to Landeck and then jump on the bus up the valley.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Skiwelt to St.Anton is a strange step. Skiwelt being all blue and easy reds, St.Anton being mostly challenging reds etc. Very different skiresorts.
Ischgl might suit you better.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with the suggestions of the Silvretta Tal but be aware that if staying outside Ischgl / Mathon or Samnaun you have to pay for a pass for the whole area which is a bit more than the Ischgl Samnaun pass having said that the other areas are worth skiing in themselves and often quite lot cheaper to stay in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If i remember correctly, then a +3 days pass will cover the Paznauertal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
check stuben as well for cheaper accom... https://www.stuben-arlberg.at/en/accommodation/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DanishRider, oops meant to say Paznaunertal.
Thing is that if you only want to ski Ischgl / Samnaun there is a reduced rate pass for that compared with the Paznaunertal pass but you can only buy it if you have a guest card from Ischgl or Mathon.

Or at least that was the case last time I skied there which was admittedly about 5 years ago.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I Think it changed, but i am not 110% sure Happy have been in Ischgl 19 of the last 20 years, but always stay in Ischgl Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think there is a more limited (and cheaper) pass available if you're in Ischgl itself. We were in Galtur in Jan, and I remember reading about it on the piste map, and being confused about it briefly. Suspect the resort website will tell you more...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Probably Happy i know there is a special Ischgl card you get when booking direction with the touristoffice - maybe that is the card you can use to buy the local discounted pass?
latest report
Many thanks for the tips, guys. Amazing database on these forums...
Langerzug wrote:
From Skiwelt to St.Anton is a strange step. Skiwelt being all blue and easy reds, St.Anton being mostly challenging reds etc. Very different skiresorts.
Ischgl might suit you better.

Many thanks for the heads up, I wanted to do Skiwelt as part of a bigger plan of taking a car from Munich and organising (as previously detailed) '7 days of rambling from piste to piste, place to place, village to village and ski area to ski area'. The way I previously did EK and Paradiski. Will be postponed to next December/January.
Should be an amazing ski marathon in my opinion, glad if others will join.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 17-02-19 20:23; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@DanishRider,
Just checked the website VIP ski pass only covers Ischgl Samnaun and is E254.50 for 6 days
Silvretta pass is E298.50 for 6 days
But you need an Ischgl guest card to buy the former which I'm pretty sure can only be obtained if you stay in accommodation in Ischgl and Mathon.
snow report
That makes sense - i Think we got one of those cards when booked locally once Happy
ski holidays
I stayed in the hotel Arnika in Ischgl at Christmas and really liked it. Booked it through the Ischgl tourist website which might be worth a try.
ski holidays
Give Jens & Margit in Haus Bachseite a shout in St Anton - great little spot.
Or try Elisabeth in Hotel Litzner in Ischgl.
latest report
Ischgl like to make their lift passes as complicated as possible for some reason.

If you're staying in Ischgl or Mathon you have the VIP pass, which 'only' covers Ischgl+Samnaun. Then there's the Silvretta pass which anyone can buy and also covers Galtur, Kappl, and See. A peak season, 6-day VIP pass was 247Euro last year, vs 290Euro for the equivalent Silvretta pass.

Just to make it more confusing there's also the VIP "6 (4+2)" pass at 258.50Euro. This is a 6-day VIP pass but with the option of spending upto 2 days in any of Galture/Kappl/See (though each resort counts as a day, so ski Galture in the morning and Ischgl in the afternoon and you use 2 days of your pass).

If it's your first time and you're happy to stay outside Ischgl I'd try to get a place in Mathon and just go for the standard VIP pass (it took about 10 trips to Ischgl before we felt it necessary to get the 4+2 pass and ski something new).
ski holidays
If you think this is complicated try sorting out what pass to buy in Chamonix.
snow report
Quote:

Give Jens & Margit in Haus Bachseite a shout in St Anton - great little spot

Nice. Heading there in a few weeks time. @drporat, would echo kitenski's comments re stuben. A great base for the Arlberg as long as you're not after some pumping apres. Have stayed there a couple of times - most recently last year and it means you can beat the st Anton crowds if heading to zurs and beyond.
Have stayed in Kappl a few times and was great when the kids were younger. Nice quiet ski area and again you can upgrade for the whole area pass or a 4+2 which allows 2 days anywhere and 4 in Kappl. You can ski Kappl in a day so bear that in mind
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy