Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Right, I've had enough of my £100 Zaniers. The inner keeps pulling out and is a PITA to put back in, so I've cut it out and not put the inner on first, and then the outer.

Can anyone recommend a decent glove (for skiing) that has a sewn-in inner? Zanier reckons that the inner can't be sewn in because the waterproof middle layer would be compromised. That can't be true.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got a pair of head gloves they very good (nice pocket in the back of the glove just big enough for a lift pass) but the outer palm stitching came apart so I now look hardcore with duck tape on one glove. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hestra, pro range only though the others are just for punters.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ise, I'm a Hestra glove owner.....Punter and proud of it Razz

hyweljenkins, My Hestra's were about £45, they are warm and don't leak Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bought a pair of Hestra "Dominique Perret" gloves this season. They're the best pair of gloves I think I've ever had. Warm, with a snug fit and no signs of any damage from ski edges or wear and tear.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny wrote:
ise, I'm a Hestra glove owner.....Punter and proud of it Razz

hyweljenkins, My Hestra's were about £45, they are warm and don't leak Very Happy

The non-pro' ones look about as good as many other brands to me, which is prefectly good. The Alpine pro' range though is something else, my last pair lasted 4 or 5 seasons of hard use. My experiments so far say you can ignore the care instructions as well, I always have Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise,
Quote:

My experiments so far say you can ignore the care instructions as well, I always have

I can believe that wink . These gloves have a very good reputation.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I use BMW motorcycle touring gauntlets - these have lasted me 5 years winter and summer use Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hestra are the bomb. No other glove comes close ...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a pair of Swany gloves. I don't know about the sewn in inner (there's nothing that comes out), but I can tell you that they're warm, waterproof, comfortable, well designed, well made and not sweaty. They're wearing well so far, but I only bought them last season. They're made in US (where I bought them) and not available in UK. They are available in Europe, I think.

http://www.swanyamerica.com/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hestra for me too - no contest. However they are pricey - mine are about 98 euros I think. I have the half/half mitt/glove ones - great. I've also lately discovered that I can put the old outer shell over the new golve for added wrmth and protection + I've been able to get the old inner glove inside as well - very snug when it's cold!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
God knows the model but I use granades with the spring/pipe glove as a inner. Excellent quality, bullet proof and find the spring glove fantastic on the warmer days
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Swany gloves - a combination of too little sleep and too much flu meant I had to buy another pair of gloves in Beaver Creek a couple of weeks ago (mine were sitting on the very nice heated floor of our chalet in Breckenridge...) Swany were pretty much all anyone stocked and I got some great ones for $70-odd. Maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing, but very warm and the cuff adjustments are the best I've used.

Otherwise I've got some goretex Salomons that are a bit more 'gauntlet' shaped (longer cuff). Pretty good too, if maybe not quite as warm. £60-odd from slush & rubble.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hestra for me too, but i rotate this with an Eider gauntlet which I have had the leather thumb repaired by my best cobbler. Thats important too because skis are sharp and you need to be able to repair gloves costing £70 upwards. Both mine are going really strong into their 5th year and comfort isn't an issue.

I always look for leather in a glove. And I haven't had to baby mine with aftecare either. Just dry them out slowly, hence the rotation.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
starnberg, there's some kind of conspiracy going on here, I think. I had to buy my Swanys because I lost my gloves in Breckenridge.
ski holidays
I bought some Dakine mittens this season. I heard that they were warmer than normal gloves so I thought I'd give them a go. They were brilliant - very warm, leather on the palm side so I was still quite dexterous as they were soft but seem durable. You can easily wear inners with them for extra warmth and hand warmers slot in easily etc. £50 from S&R.

Go on take the plunge and go for mittens!
latest report
Richmond Very Happy though I was so doped up on tylenol that I promptly tried to leave the Swanys on the floor of the parking lot in BC at the end of the day... Fortunately the girlfriend was somewhat more observant than me!
snow report
hayley t,

Mittens are too warm for most men for skiing
snow conditions
JT, really? I'll have to tell that to my husband then. He will feel really manly I'm sure!
snow conditions
My son has a pair of Hestra Gore-Tex gloves and they're great.

I have some Dakine Mitts and Dakine Gloves, both pairs are fine, but I prefer the mitts where the liners ARE sewn in.
snow report
Hestra for me also, doubt I'll buy any other brand now, best gloves I've ever had. Deceptively warm when you look at their actual construction...very little bulk so are great for accessing pockets and zips etc. Have 2 pairs of the Gore-Tex gauntlets, the first pair is getting on for 10 years old now and still going strong. Bought the second pair for rotation just like JT,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy