Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl or solden or????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello
We’re thinking of going skiing in early April and have been to obergurgl many times and are considering it again. It has lovely hotels and good snow, but the skiing is a bit easy. We are a family of 3 but mainly ski intermediate/advanced reds and blacks. We’ve never been to solden but how does it compare for good hotels and more challenging skiing? Should we be looking at anywhere else bearing in mind we aren’t going out until 6th April?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want in the same sort of area to the Ötztal then Serfaus / Fiss, Ischgl or the Arlberg. All have large ski areas and relatively high. Not sure when Serfaus is due to close but Ischgl will be 1st May (same as Obergurgl?) and Arlberg 28th April. All have mounds of snow at the moment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1.
Solden' advantage is its 2 glaciers allowing you to ski from Nov. On blue pistes.
I've been there twice, i remember mostly wide and nice blue pistes. They have some unchallenging reds and a few blacks, but the whole terrain was less challenging than Hochgurgl/Obergurgl
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bompey, Can’t comment too much on Solden, but Obergurgl is significantly higher and more likely to have snow down to the village. We drove through Solden on the way to Obergurgl (late March) and I have to say I thought it looked the most depressing ski resort imaginable. A straggle of ugly buildings along a busy main road with nothing more than a thin brown streak of snow coming down to the town. I gather there are prettier bits of Solden across the main road and the skiing is good higher up. It all depends how much you value the attractiveness of where you stay and the importance of being able to ski back to base. Of course, this has been a good year for snow. (But that won’t get rid of the main road!). From a purely skiing perspective we found Obergurgl a bit limited so maybe Solden would be the answer.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
IMHO Solden is the perfect place to go in the end of Nov/start of Dec with beginners/early intermediates. For the snow sure, the wide and well bashed blue pistes, the food.
After that stage it might feel boring. Can't talk about off piste in the area, though.
The village is purely functional. We had an amazing hotel (Die Berge Lifestyle) in a good location. The main road is smth you cross on your way (6 min by foot) to the gondola, after crossing a strong creek and a beautiful bridge
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stay in Obergurgl and make a couple of trips on good days to Solden.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks everyone, it seems as though the view is to stay in obergurgl.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lech.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy