Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family trip Christmas Les Arcs 1950 - package or DIY?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
This is my first post so apologies if I get things wrong!
We are looking to go to Les Arcs 1950 for Christmas - 2 adults & 3 young teenagers. We have previously travelled with Crystal self catering & stayed at Le Village 1950/Prince Des Cimes & ideally want to stay there again
Looking at prices however, we could go catered accommodation for what Crystal are charging for a self-catered Christmas!
So my questions are:
1. How easy would it be to do the trip DIY?
2. When do Dec flights tend to go on sale?
3. Average transfer costs from Chambrey/Geneva to Les Arcs

Any recommend companies for Les Arcs accommodation please? Looking at Skibeat for catered or Powderbeds for DIY as possibilities NehNeh
Many many thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@clarkey321, if I go to skibeat's website they don't have prices for next Christmas?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarkey321 wrote:
1. How easy would it be to do the trip DIY?

DIY certainly isn't complicated for a mainstream resort like this. There are only a few basic components:

#1 Flights are certainly the most critical in the sense that you have to be on ball to get the best prices. Flight release dates
#2 Accommodation - can go through tourist information phone/online, the various independent websites, snowtrex, etc. For Christmas you want to book Sept/Oct
#3 Transfers. List of transfer companies here

And then it's just a question of whether you need ski hire or ski school or any other extras.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
@clarkey321, if I go to skibeat's website they don't have prices for next Christmas?

No they haven’t released them yet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarkey321 wrote:
Layne wrote:

No they haven’t released them yet.

So why do you think "Looking at prices however, we could go catered accommodation for what Crystal are charging for a self-catered Christmas!"?

Just wondering if your price comparisons stack up.

Another question, are you dead set on 1950. Accommodation tends to be quite expensive there compared with other stations from what I know.

We usually stay in Les Coches for example where last Christmas we paid 1273 for an apartment for 4 plus a family set of ski passes for 6 days (plus free half day)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have had quote from Lespirit for catered in Arc 2000.
Not dead set on 1950 but kids loved it last year & great for ease.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My report on Xmas in Arc 2000 is here https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2435740&highlight=arc#2435740.

Getting between Arc 2000 and 1950 is easy via the pedestrian lift, which we used a couple of evenings.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We do DIY to Arc 1950 a couple of times a year. We book accommodation though homeaway.co.uk you can send out a number of enquiries and go for the best value. No idea about flights or transfers as we drive but lift passes, lessons, skis and boots can all be easily booked online. If you book lift passes before the end of October you get an early bird discount but hold off booking equipment until Black Friday as there are usually good promo codes about we got 20% off last year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CH1975, et al,

we use Equlibres up in 2000 for equipment hire, for anyone coming to stay with us: local knowledge; small independent; prices which generally beat any of the "65% off!!!!!" screaming emails I get on a weekly basis. I had 7 guests out last month, all with a variety of needs (including touring set up) and they were all delighted with the personal service and attention. And price.

(PS no connection, and no kickbacks for advertising for them, but I'm not the only owner on here in either 1950 or 2000 who will say good things about them).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We used Equilibres last year (ski instructor recommended) & they were fantastic- great quality kit & even better service. Prefer to support smaller businesses too!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1

We also use Equilibres for guests who are staying in Arc 1950. Excellent service and prices. No connection, just a very satisfied customer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arctic Roll wrote:
@CH1975, et al,

we use Equlibres up in 2000 for equipment hire, for anyone coming to stay with us: local knowledge; small independent; prices which generally beat any of the "65% off!!!!!" screaming emails I get on a weekly basis. I had 7 guests out last month, all with a variety of needs (including touring set up) and they were all delighted with the personal service and attention. And price.

(PS no connection, and no kickbacks for advertising for them, but I'm not the only owner on here in either 1950 or 2000 who will say good things about them).

Thanks, will check them out for next season.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Booking that far in front I would tend to go DIY nowadays. More flexibility, especially with flight times etc. It may not work out cheaper than a package but at least you'll be in control.

But you don't have the "protection" that a package offers however, like if your flight get's diverted. You'll be having to sort out new travel arrangements yourself whereas a TO would put on a coach to get you (and the others!).

You'll find that most independent accommodation companies can help and advise on transfers and lift passes/hire etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

But you don't have the "protection" that a package offers however, like if your flight get's diverted. You'll be having to sort out new travel arrangements yourself whereas a TO would put on a coach to get you (and the others!).

Doesn't the airline have an obligation to at least get you to the destination airport.

Of course, if you can afford it, you could always use the train (change in London, Paris and Chambery)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Doesn't the airline have an obligation to at least get you to the destination airport.

Of course, if you can afford it, you could always use the train (change in London, Paris and Chambery)

I guess so? I am unsure to be honest. That does make sense.
latest report
There’s always the Eurostar that goes straight into Bourg St Maurice, followed by the funicular up the hill and 15 mins on the connecting bus. If you don’t mind 1800, I usually stay in an apartment that’s around 350 euros for the week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy