Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prices: Täsch vs Zermatt?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off to ski Zermatt for a few nights at the end of Feb. Not having been for about 10 years, I'm assuming that the strength of the Swiss Franc and collapse of the £ means that food and drink doesn't come cheap there these days...

Although we are staying 2 nights in Zermatt, I've also booked 2 nights digs in Täsch as it was so much cheaper than Zermatt. I'm assuming (and hoping!) that eating out and drinking will be a fair bit cheaper in Täsch too - but can anybody confirm please?

Any guidance on prices (both Zermatt and Täsch) would be useful - and any recommendations for where to eat and drink would be great Smile .
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mountainaddict, Hopefully for you JohnMo will see your post. He has an apartment in Tasch. For Zermatt however, if you want to eat cheap there is a Macdonalds (this is twice-ish uk prices). Best bets for value are, Sparkey's for a curry of excellent quality, Grampis for Pizza, also the Northwall bar for Pizza. Beer is around 8CHF for a large one in the Papperla pub (best for live music). The Papperla also does stuff like Nachos for 14 CHF and Burders for 18CHF. Were off again in Early March. These places will also be on my itinery, also will be a trip to Findlerhof on the Mountain in Findeln. Best restaurant in the world for me, with high prices though. I have to recommend it but it is not cheap. You can needless to say google all the above and trip advisor all the places. To me who has been going to Zermatt for the last 10 years, trip advisor rankings are reasonable. Enjoy snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mountainaddict, Don't know about Tasch but was in Zermatt the last week of Jan. A great place but yes a bit pricey. What you might term "proper" restaurants were expensive >30CHF for a steak and more like 40CHF with a bottle of decent red in the same price bracket.

That said we found some reasonably priced pizza and pasta places.
The North Wall bar cheap for pizza around 15CHF and they were very good
Grizzly's for burgers or a curry at around 20CHF. Standard lager in Grizzly's was 6.5CHF with craft beers being around 8 or 9 for a 330ml bottle.
The Brown Cow (attached to the hotel post) looked reasonable for bar food although we didn't try it.

Most of the bars were around 8CHF for a pint of lager at Apres time. The Hennu Stall is popular apres ski but doesn't serve pints (about 7CHF).
Papperla bar was great for live music and a good atmosphere.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ta for the responses. I was fearing beer at far worse than France mega-resort prices - so not as bad as I thought Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, Täsch is not really a place for eating and drinking out in. It has two main advantages: it is 12 minutes by train from Zermatt with a service that runs every 20 minutes and even has weekend 24 hour trains (every hour from 11.30); and it is much cheaper to stay than Zermatt.

We part-time live in Täsch but we are cooking for ourselves most of the time. The only place we ever eat out in Täsch is the Walliserkane opposite the train station. It is actually part of the Alpenhotel but feels separate. All other eating places are part of hotels as are bars. Well there is a “bar” at the shop at the train station but not one you would spend a night at!

Make sure you have a train shuttle ticket for however many days you are staying in Täsch - it is much cheaper than buying individual tickets. However you do need to buy it from the train station tickets window. For some reasons you can’t get a multi day ticket from the machines. If you were in Täsch the whole time you could get the shuttle ticket as part of the ski pass.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@halfhand, yes, Brown Cow is good - great chicken wings and burgers. Time Out is good for watching sports and does a decent sports bar food menu. My favourite place is the one you mention: Grizzly’s. The English lad (who is also a chef) and his Swiss wife have down a great job since they took it over 4-5 years ago. The food portions are gigantic.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JohnMo, Agreed my burger was huge and very good value.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I will go to Grizzleys this time round. Never been, but will do
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
twoodwar wrote:
@mountainaddict, For Zermatt however, if you want to eat cheap there is a Macdonalds (this is twice-ish uk prices). snowHead

Have to admit we ended up in Macdonalds on the one evening we thought we’d pop into Zermatt for the evening. Everywhere else seemed silly prices. Cheaper options in Tasch.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy