Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French supermarkets Easter Sunday

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a late April trip to the some, so probs Val Thorens or Tignes - will be arriving on Easter Sunday, and just wondering if anyone knows if I am likely to find a supermarket along the route from Geneva that is open that day. Can see plenty that are open on Sundays, but is Easter Sunday any different for the supermarkets in France?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jonnyboy93 if they are meant to be closed, they may announce an 'ouverture exceptionelle' which will be on their website. Plenty to choose from in Albertville close to the Autoroute. It will probably only be open in the morning though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Migros in Geneva Airport may be open. Check on the GVA website.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 15-02-19 11:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought the big Albertville supermarkets were closed on Sundays? Certainly Migros in Annemasse is.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, I thought most of France closed on Sundays?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jonnyboy93, no chance but you may find a mini mart in services on route to get some supplies to keep you going until supermarkets reopen.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Supermarkets nearest ski resorts are often open on Sunday mornings, less often all day. And resort shops will be open - and for a few days, the extra cost of shopping in-resort is not really a biggie. You don't have time to waste shopping!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And unless you're taking unconscionable amounts of luggage, there's plenty of room for iron rations in your baggage allowance.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Intermarche chain are normally open on Sunday mornings.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The super markets in bourg were shut last Easter
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've often wondered about the comparative cost of doing a shop in the UK and then filling a suitcase to go in the hold vs shopping en route? If you have to pay extra for hold baggage then that's an extra, I suppose. If you're otherwise cabin baggage one of you can go ahead and pick the hire car up while the other waits for the baggage, so not much time lost. If you are paying in local currency then there's the currency conversion cost. Obviously, you might not want to pack liquids like milk and soup (although you could put these into leak-prof containers). There's the faff of carting-'round a 'provisions case' but then a Find The Supermarché Open on Easter Sunday hunt could get very frustrating. Just a thought. Perhaps I should start a company manufacturing baggage just for food carriage ..... could be the latest chic travel accessory?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LaForet wrote:
... a Find The Supermarché Open on Easter Sunday hunt could get very frustrating.

Supermarkets have websites, a check a few days before leaving will show whether they will be open.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Often the big supermarkets near resorts have special openings for the bank holidays as per @Hells Bells. So I'd check the websites nearer the time. I know that the big Carrefour in Sallanches normally opens the Sundays for special occasions as does the Super U at Cluses/Magland. But do you need to do the big shop that day? Easter is not a big school holiday in France so everything will be open as usual on Monday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LaForet, I'm not sure about the economics of flying with a suitcase of shopping, but when driving I do take some food with me. Not because it is cheaper but some things, even now, can be hard to find in France. For instance I always take Brussel sprouts and sometimes parsnips. Onions bought in france always seem to rot quickly.
Overall I just love the experience of shopping in French shops. It does saden me that I have to go all the way to towns hundreds of km from the coast to buy seafood harvested in Scotland.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Overall I just love the experience of shopping in French shops.

We are the same. We'd never be that excited heading to Tesco or the like but a trip to Carrefour...ohhhhh
ski holidays
Thanks for the responses. Useful to know the exceptional opening thing.

Just planning a trip, and if there is something convenient on the way that saves a few euros for beer up the mountain then happy days, if not, so be it. As it seems like it will be a bit of a lottery if places will be open or not, will go for a coach transfer and save some money there, I'm certainly not going to spend hours hunting for an open place!
ski holidays
@jonnyboy93, My experience is that beer and wine offer the best savings in the valley, but then for a one week trip the total would probably be less than 20 euros.
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
I thought most of France closed on Sundays?
And much of the week too... Trying to find a cafe/restaurant that's open outside 12:00-2:00 can sometimes be a trial (motorway services & ski resorts excluded).
latest report
@JohnE Actually, I was prompted by our last drive down a couple of weeks ago. This time, as you say, we did the Big Shop here in the UK and took it down with us, including favourite tea bags etc. Being winter, as opposed to our usual summer drive to the Alps, everything stayed pretty fresh. We did still stop en route but the pressure was off and we went mainly for beer, wine and cheese, which I found much more relaxing than basically doing a weekly shop in an unfamiliar supermarket. And we could have skipped it and still survived.

It just struck me that what we had in our box would've fitted into a small suitcase and if we'd flown, then the hassle would just have been carting it around through to the point of collecting the hire car. And having an empty suitcase for the return would deal with that perplexing scenario where you're packing to come home and simply can't work out how on Earth you got everything in in the first place ....
snow report
@LaForet, I too have bought tea bags with me. The one thing I do need to stop for on route from Geneva airport is milk. Arriving at the apartment around midnight I do get an urge for a cup of tea.

I have to confess I am a terrible meal planner and couldn't cope with doing a weekly shop on route to the resort. I simply want to get there as fast as possible and get a cup of tea (other addictions are avaialble).

It must be the large number of British peopple living near Bourg St Maurice but the Super U there are stocking much more products to appeal to British shoppers - for example fresh vegtables and tea. I think I've even seen British beer and that horror of horrors Marmite.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
@LaForet,

It must be the large number of British peopple living near Bourg St Maurice but the Super U there are stocking much more products to appeal to British shoppers - for example fresh vegtables
Puzzled
ski holidays
@skitow, Compare the range and quality of fresh vegtables in a UK supermarket with those in France.
ski holidays
@johnE, I have never counted the actual number of different offerings in either but always seems plenty in the french supermarkets I go to, quality is definitely better in france in my opinion.
ski holidays
skitow wrote:
I have never counted the actual number of different offerings in either but always seems plenty in the french supermarkets I go to, quality is definitely better in france in my opinion.
Not tried their apples then..... The UK is infinitely superior on that product. Their supermarket beef is often very tough too.
ski holidays
There is always plenty of fresh veg in the French supermarkets I frequent, but produce does tend to be more seasonal than in the UK. I get apples in Autumn from the stalls on the road sides between Serre Che and Gap. Lots of orchards down there.
snow report
Love your optimism @rjs, the carrefour website is often thwarted by a notice board and a new paper signs blu-tacked to the door for a fermeture exceptionelle
ski holidays
king key wrote:
skitow wrote:
I have never counted the actual number of different offerings in either but always seems plenty in the french supermarkets I go to, quality is definitely better in france in my opinion.
Not tried their apples then..... The UK is infinitely superior on that product. Their supermarket beef is often very tough too.

I though you could only get french golden delicious in the UK Laughing Joya's always seem a good choice. What's a beef apple, never seen them Puzzled
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I get apples in Autumn from the stalls on the road sides between Serre Che and Gap. Lots of orchards down there.

And then after Gap for the first 20 miles south, it's like apple world Laughing and all the other fruit. Love driving down that way,
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skitow, and there's some vineyards too.
ski holidays
@johnE, you are clearly going to the wrong supermarkets.

Although, must be said, seasonality does get in the way of the UK’s bizarre belief that you can have whatever you want, whenever you want.

Wait, wait, who mentioned Brexit? #havingcakeandeatingitIwish
ski holidays
Quote:

you are clearly going to the wrong supermarkets

Absolutely. The big supermarkets I used regularly in France had stunning veg and salad selections - though some are better than others. I particularly appreciated whole lettuces in many varieties, not just a choice between a shrink-wrapped iceberg or a bag of expensive leaves. Several varieties of carrots. Artichokes of various kinds. When did you last see an artichoke in Waitrose?
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

When did you last see an artichoke in Waitrose?
See here:
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-globe-artichoke/085487-43558-43559 Very Happy

I still stick to my view on apples, the quality of them in the UK supermarkets are generally far greater than those in the French supermarkets. Sure, collecting them from a local grower is great but not convenient to all. Did I mention I love apples, my favourite fruit. Very Happy
ski holidays
Did you ever visit a Grand Frais @pam w,? A full aisle of all kinds of tomatoes in summer - smells divine!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy