Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best all mountain piste-biased ski

Poster: A snowHead
It’s another thread about the elusive all mountain ski!

I’m currently skiing on a pair of K2 twin tips I bought dirt cheap back when rockers were a new invention and I was just happy to be able to lug my skis over my shoulder after years of super heavy atomic race skis....

I’ve skied for about 18 years, heavily in the early years (lived in Bavaria and Canada) but currently on a one week per year schedule ( Sad ). I’m a very technical skier and focussed initially on speed/racing in my youth Shocked but now much more recreational. I will have a bash at any conditions/gradient, haven’t tried touring but will ski trees/bowls etc in bounds in Canadian resorts.

Anyway, the skis I have are fine for bumps and shallow powder, and they’re ok on crud but they won’t hold an edge and are highly unstable at speed, as you might expect. I’m planning to keep hold of them for lumpy days but would prefer a go-everywhere ski that I could piste-bash on a bit more.

I’m quite out of the game when it comes to current gear and would prefer an end of season bargain which precludes too much testing in resort, although could wait until next year if need be. Any recommendations...?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here are 2 suggestions based on SCGB tests:

Blizzard Black Pearl 88

Volkl Secret
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Atomic Vantage 90 has been my ski of choice for the last couple of seasons. Loads of rocker (don’t buy them too short) but will hold an edge on anything.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you ski one week a year I would hire. You could even try different skis, take note of what you like and don't like, enabling you to become more informed for a purchase if that becomes justifiable.

Ski's are expensive to service unless you do it yourself and to transport if you fly. If you drive and DIY service then maybe it's justifiable to buy.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you find a ski that you really like, cannot readily hire in resort, and are happy to pick up the transport and servicing costs, then buy. Otherwise hire.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all for the responses. I have thought about hiring but have not found it cost-effective compared to a few years of use of skis bought in an end of season sale and shared ski carriage with my husband. Maybe I should look at hiring a lower level of ski. I am planning on 2-3 weeks per year going forwards if possible and do keep my skis for years at a time (current models are from 2012 iirc). I appreciate that there is something to be gained in flexibility vs pure cost, but there is also a benefit to familiarity with skis, I guess.

@telford_mike, I liked the look of those and have always got on well with atomics. They also come in a good range of sizes (I am very short).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kastle FX95, interesting if they are available in length you want.

Good longer term buy to mitigate cost, but cover so much in the way of terrain/snow conditions etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely consider the Nordica Santa Anas
Just read any review....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FoofyNoo wrote:
Definitely consider the Nordica Santa Anas
Just read any review....

Should be cheaper after Xmas. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elan Amphibio 16Ts2
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Choose about a good fifteen separate brand and respective model. Place the name of each on a small piece of paper. Place same in a large bowl, mix up thoroughly. Close eyes, reach hand into bowl, pick a single piece of paper. Open eyes, read. That IS the best ski, period.

ps: Do not go too wide. This wideness madness IS just that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1. On your next trip or two hire skis from the top price range but go back mid-week and ask to swap from ski X to ski Y, or a shorter/longer version of ski X. Make a note of what you've hired and how highly or not you rated them.
2. Pop along to one of the SH Okobertests and work you way through loads of different skis - it's a bit like arcsinice's 'paper in a bowl' idea but with skis. With hindsight of doing my first Oktobertest last year I'd recommend taking your current skis with you and skiing them first, so you're comparing against a known benchmark.

Having done one/both of those buy the ski you liked the best.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try and get a pair of fischer motive 86. they are really excellent both on and off, fantasticly agile, and copes well off piste. (My son uses his everywhere, including last months trip to Japan). Although no longer a current model, If there are some around they should be attractively priced. failing that the Rangers replaced the Motives, and are pretty damn good too.

https://www.snowmagazine.com/ski-gear/955-skis/fischer-motive-86-2016

https://www.skibartlett.com/ski-equipment-c1/skis-c3/all-mountain-skis-c29/fischer-m49
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
telford_mike wrote:
Atomic Vantage 90 has been my ski of choice for the last couple of seasons. Loads of rocker (don’t buy them too short) but will hold an edge on anything.
I hired the vantage 83 in Austria last year and I was really impressed with them
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Recently got myself a pair of 2018 Salomon QST 92's. Loved them. Very easy to ski and gave me oodles of confidence on fast reds whilst still allowing me to play off the sides, under the lifts and in the trees. You can still pick up last years model for less than half price as well. Happy days!
snow report
My Volkl Kendos are pretty good.

If they aren't wide enough for the powder depth, I go back and get my board.
ski holidays
I did a few powder runs on my 203cms FIS SGs last year, they were pretty fine. Stable at speed too...
ski holidays
@under a new name, beast!!!
latest report
@under a new name,

I skied bumps on my 205 SG skis a couple of weeks ago.
Real old school
snow conditions
@Bob, aye.

@Tignes addict, nice!!
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

Blizzard Black Pearl 88

Volkl Secret

Add to that:
Volkl Kanja, Yumi

Both are consider piste oriented all mountain skis.

I have the Kanja, for 2 1/2 year now. Have skied from near ice to a foot of powder. The ski works well. It’s me who’s inadequate.

I added Yumi to the list because, as capable as the Kanja, I found it hard on my knees when the snow is “firm”. A few discussions with various people suggest it’s still too wide. I’m on the short and skinny side. I just found I don’t need wide ski even in powder. And my knees are infinitely happier on narrower one when on piste.
snow report
abc wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Blizzard Black Pearl 88

Volkl Secret

Add to that:
Volkl Kanja, Yumi

Both are consider piste oriented all mountain skis.

I have the Kanja, for 2 1/2 year now. Have skied from near ice to a foot of powder. The ski works well. It’s me who’s inadequate.

I added Yumi to the list because, as capable as the Kanja, I found it hard on my knees when the snow is “firm”. A few discussions with various people suggest it’s still too wide. I’m on the short and skinny side. I just found I don’t need wide ski even in powder. And my knees are infinitely happier on narrower one when on piste.

I would probably be considered short and skinny in most quarters and a similarly built friend has also recommended the Yumi, so that’s good to know.
snow report
Thanks all for the input. I know the sensible thing is to test a few so I will probably do that next season, unless an irresistible bargain comes up wink

I also know that overall the cost of hiring is probably fairly similar to buying but getting to know your own skis has always been a big plus for me so I will end up buying something new eventually.

Now, is it wrong to be planning the next trip at the end of this year’s? :- Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Rosie Ski wrote:
Now, is it wrong to be planning the next trip at the end of this year’s? :- Toofy Grin

Wrong?? Shocked Around here it’s mandatory!
snow conditions
horizon wrote:
Rosie Ski wrote:

Wrong?? Shocked Around here it’s mandatory!

Excellent wink
snow conditions
@Rosie Ski, on the testing, two years ago we tested about 7 skis, all a bit similar to replace our 2010 Mantras. While all would have done the job had they been the only available, we both ended up settling on different skis.

You really do need to test whatever you can.
snow report
I tried the Blizzard Black Pearls last year when I was looking for an upgrade from my K2 superstitious that I had out -skied after getting much better. I HATED them. I have also talked to some other women who have tried them out and also hated them! I couldn't turn very easily, they weren't very responsive, and were pretty terrible off piste! So, I took them back to the ski hire, and swapped them for some Nordica Doberman XLS (or similar) and had an absolute blast on the piste!! Next trip, I demo some Black Crows Ova Birdie (they don't make this model except as a touring ski now), loved them +++++ on and off piste, and as it was the last week of season, bought them from the ski hire. My husband has bought some Black Crows Captis, which he LOVES. They do this in a ladies version. There are no bad reviews of this ski. I think, Black Crows don't make a bad ski actually! They are all very playful, light, turn easily, and are really nice to ski.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Rosie Ski, on the testing, two years ago we tested about 7 skis, all a bit similar to replace our 2010 Mantras. While all would have done the job had they been the only available, we both ended up settling on different skis.

You really do need to test whatever you can.

This!

Just about any ski fitting a certain dimension will "work". But personal preference is what makes one "better" than the rest. You can't decide on that till you skied them.

On paper, I shouldn't like Volkl skis. They're supposed to be stiff and needs lots of input. So it was on the last of my demo list. But it turns out I like them more than the rest. Now I'm putting Volkl skis on the top of my demo list. I can list the characteristic of why I like them. But really I don't know if it's true. Only that I like the way they dance on the snow. Or put another way, I don't really know where I put myself on the spectrum of skiers. One woman's stiff is soft for me, or vice versa.

I always buy at the end of the season, some of the skis I never tried. My feeling is if I buy them cheap enough, I can always sell them if I really dislike them. Though in practice, I know I can make them work regardless.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My local shop in France was suggesting Volkswagen M5 Mantra when I was think Black Crow Orbs . . . . Any thoughts ?
latest report
Do these reviews help?

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/c/ski-reviews-2019-women-s-all-mountain

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/snow-sports/best-all-mountain-skis-womens
latest report
Has anyone heard of an Atomic Redster MR?

Not a spelling mistake. The MR was recommended by a ski shop recently for this purpose. The "MR" version doesn't google to anything interesting and the shop said it is like the S7 but the S7 turns tighter and costs more. The MR was €600 while the S7 was €900. Obviously a lot less if you buy mail order that that is always true for resort pricing. The shop (in Slovenia) said the MR was made for a particular chain of ski shops and is not sold mail order. The MR is also sold in Japan.
latest report
I’ve just bought myself a pair of Volkl Kenjas- I got the 2017 model online so they were a bargain- apparently the actual ski hasn’t changed over last few seasons- just the colour.

I rented them in Canada a few years ago- loved them. They were great in powder and really grippy on pisted runs. I was concerned that 90mm underfoot would be too wide for on piste but found them much grippier than my K2 Superfrees.

I was also considering Blizzard Black Pearls but reviews that compared them to Kenjas said that Kenjas grip better.

I’d Gone back to renting the last few years but was getting fed up of not getting skis I wanted in Europe so prefer my own even if less economical.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy