Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guide to Freeride on Marmolada, Dolomites

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've written a blog which I hope some of you will find useful - its a fantastic area for side country and freeride skiing.

http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/skiing-guides/marmolada-freeride/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks good. Cheers snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a really lovely area. I guess I should have posted this before the Birthday Bash but I was only preparing it yesterday!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you need to include a section on the rules and regs on off piste skiing in that area. I was with a group on one of the routes you mention when we stopped by two policemen. Once they established we were not all fully equiped with the required AVI gear and we did not have a registered local guide it was clear that we were in trouble. They were talking about arrest fines pass confiscation etc.

At this point the youngest member of the group who was a fluent Italian speaker and related to the hotel owner went into full arm waving name dropping attack mode and she literally drove the police backwards towards their skimobiles. It was impressive to watch.

They turned up at our hotel that night and it transpired that the area centered on Arabba does have a rule that bans skiing out of bounds without a guide and avi gear. Names were taken and warnings issued to the young lady.

It was a while back and maybe the rules have changed but AFAIK there are still rules in force.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hunh - I have never heard anything about that on Marmolada, never had anything said and there are lots of people skitouring on it from November through till early May. It's well possible though so I will check that out but it's the first I've heard of it. There is certainly a rule at the moment that you are not allowed to walk or skin up (skis before someone suggest I'm talking about a fat doobie) on the pistes, but that's the only one I know of. I will ask local Mountain rescue...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
interesting. no mention of the skidoo ride back to the piste from the Fedaia?
as an aside, we'd heard of skiers who were only just offpiste being stopped by carabinieri and threatened with fines, in cortina in particular.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So I've just checked with a friend who is a local IFMGA guide. Apparently you are required by law to carry an ARVA/Pieps but that is the only requirement. I will add this as a seperate section. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I guess it didn't occur to me because it wouldn't occur to me to ski there without in the first place!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy