Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about getting helmet, but which one?

My Salomon air is getting on a bit now, and probably a bit bulky by todays standards.

Problem is comfort and fitting, I've tried many helmets, but found the majority a bit uncomfortable the course of the day.
I may have a slightly unusual shaped craniun, or I may just be sensitive.
THe salomon Air has been comfortable enough.

Anythougths on helmet comfort, has it improved over the past 7-8 years?
Which helmets are easier to wear?
Are there any particularly good fitting systems?
EPS vs MIPs vs Aerocore/kroyde?
And most importantly which colour?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bob,

You've hit the nail on the, err... head!

It all depends on the shape of your bonce, so it's impossible to make reommendations.

There seems to be quite a variation in helmet weights, though. Mrs B had a Decathlon helmet which almost crushed her vertebrae! Shocked She thought that was what all helmets were like - until she tried (and bought) a Giro model. Featherweight in comparison. Very Happy

Just try a few on and buy a comfy one. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just go try a load (Decathlon has a good range, at least the Nottingham one does) including now some very light own brand ones.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bob, After trying a few I've had a POC helmet for the last 5 years, and am very happy with it. They seem to have lots of options of technology.

Although if they made them big enough I would go for a Sweet Protection one.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bob, As has been said, try a bunch on, and learn whether you have a round or oval head shape as most manufacturers have a standard shape across their range. I very much have Giro shaped head, and also a big head, so I’m quite limited as to what will fit. I need a 62.5cm circumference helmet, but ‘round’ helmets in that size don’t fit as they are too short front to back.

I currently have a Giro Range which as a unique clam-shell design so the whole shell gets bigger or smaller, not just the internal adjustment.

Also look at the number of sizes the helmet comes in, as models that come in only 3 sizes covering XS to XXL will fit poorly if you are between sizes, whereas models that come in 5 sizes may be a better option.

If you can once you find one you like, leave it on for at least 15mins as that will highlight any pressure points, this is important as many shops won’t allow the exchange or return of safety equipment such as helmets, as they quite rightly have no idea what has happened to the helmet once it has left the shop.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I second the GIRO range. I have the MIPS nine helmet. Great adjustable mechanism inside. Comfortable chin strap. No negative issues during my lost trip and cheap price at 70 pounds when I bought it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's definitely a personal bonce thing. I've recently been trying on lots in Ellis Brigham, S&N, Decathlon and Tresspass. Supposedly same size helmets from different manufacturers can be very different.

Maybe it's also a cost thing. I set a budget of £60ish and the two most comfortable were a £20 Decathlon one and a £49 Renko DLX from Tresspass. I went for the Renko DLX as it looked a bit better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robboj wrote:
@Bob, After trying a few I've had a POC helmet for the last 5 years, and am very happy with it. They seem to have lots of options of technology.

+1 and +1
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've (and so has MMRSMM29) got Sweet Protection Trooper MIPS M/L, have had a few over the years (Giro/ Smith, POC) and in fairness probably should change the Sweet now its 5 years old but its super comfy, lightweight and has never been in a big crash so i'll be keeping it a while yet, hight recommended.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You may want to look at “Asian Fit” helmets if you find “standard western” helmets are uncomfortable. More rounder shape but you would need to try them on.

Giro/Smith/Oakley do Asian Fit, but finding availability in the UK can be difficult.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sack the Juggler wrote:
robboj wrote:

+1 and +1

Strangely enough was preparing for my trip next Saturday and notice the POC had taken a dent in transit on the way home last month. Must have been a particularly determined baggage abuser but slightly bashed it is. Would probably be Ok but not having looked for ages I had a look on their website and have just ordered the Sweet Protection 'Igniter' which is made in XXL (up to 63cm). Ordered it and will report back on the fit.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 20-02-19 9:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
s.t.h.21 wrote:
I second the GIRO range. I have the MIPS nine helmet. Great adjustable mechanism inside. Comfortable chin strap. No negative issues during my lost trip and cheap price at 70 pounds when I bought it

I've got the Giro Nine as well as it was the only one in E.B. that fit my head shape well, most of them press on the forehead and the nub at the back of the head. It's comfortable, but I find the strap awkward to clip in.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think lighter helmets are less likely to be uncomfortable... You could try one of the touring-oriented helmets like the Salomon Mtn Lab or the Smith one that's super light...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sweet Protection 'Igniter' helmet has arrived. Serious quality in construction and finish, even compared to the POC, which I felt was a step up at the time. Nice details like magnetic fastener and very well lined. Solid too with the feeling that it could take much more impact than the POC. That said I'm comparing brand new with 5 years old and perhaps the POC has 'gone' a bit in terms of 70 days use in extreme temps and summers in a loft etc.

Fit is my usual problem, a very little tight lengthwise and loose widthwise but Sweet supply several adhesive pads to adjust the sides as required, Good and snug around ears and neck. Front sits well with both Oakley and Alpina goggles with no 'gapping'.

For £114 (sale price) I am very impressed. Saw the latest POC 'Auric Cut' in a shop the other day and it's very nice too but is £200 and I didn't love the very large graphics
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robboj wrote:
Sweet Protection 'Igniter' helmet has arrived. Serious quality in construction and finish, even compared to the POC, which I felt was a step up at the time. Nice details like magnetic fastener and very well lined. Solid too with the feeling that it could take much more impact than the POC. That said I'm comparing brand new with 5 years old and perhaps the POC has 'gone' a bit in terms of 70 days use in extreme temps and summers in a loft etc.

Fit is my usual problem, a very little tight lengthwise and loose widthwise but Sweet supply several adhesive pads to adjust the sides as required, Good and snug around ears and neck. Front sits well with both Oakley and Alpina goggles with no 'gapping'.

For £114 (sale price) I am very impressed. Saw the latest POC 'Auric Cut' in a shop the other day and it's very nice too but is £200 and I didn't love the very large graphics
Cheers Robboj, with regards to the new POC, I don't like the sizing. I'm an XL in POC, which fits me well, but they now have moved to making their helmets in a smaller size range by combining two sizes, so for example XL/XXL which is fine, but I tried a black fornix helmet on last year and it looked huge on me. It looked like I was auditioning for Darth Vader. snowHead

I'll give the XXL igniter a try when I'm in France next month Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy