Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria?

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, must have been asked before.
Anyhows, if winter and the weather doesn't start playing nice in Scotland soon, I'll have to start looking for cheap overseas deals: which, at a quick glance tonight, seems to be Bulgaria. Never fancied it, but needs must...
Anyone give me an overview of the main resorts? Seen the piste maps, obviously restricted areas, but what's the general comparison in terms of European resorts, run types, lengths, lifts and general standards (c.f. Austria preferably, or Finland)?
Possible/probable snow conditions in mid Feb through to late March?
Also food - presume you can get the usual pizzas, general plain junk and meat goods? ( food allergies).
Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8
No discussion on Bulgaria is complete without this video.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's that old saying about curiosity and cats ?.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can’t help as I haven’t been there for years. However I have followed a thread on here called Borovets 2018 2019 so you may want to put that in search (sorry I don’t know how to post a link) which you may find interesting.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Grizzler, we have only been to Bansko and that is the biggest of the Bulgarian resorts. I advice avoiding Bansko one February as it is over developed in terms of accommodation for the lifts and number of runs. The lift queues are unbelievable TBH. 2hrs to get to the top of the main gondola is typical and then you move to the next queue to get higher up.

March is better.

Can’t comment about the other resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good TR from Borovets here, seems to suggest it can be good fun if your expectations are not high anyway! https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=135777&high
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
local food in bulgaria is amazing.
If you like long slow cooked barbercue style meats, then your in for a treat.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it's a budget driven decision to go to Bulgaria, then why don't you book last minute? I saw a catered chalet, with flights and accom for L2A on Thursday leaving yesterday for £299 instead of £699. Can get some really good deals if you leave it late.

The more I see of the skiing in Bulgaria, the more I really don't fancy it to be honest. The lift queue in the morning looks flipping awful....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a big of balance, you can get a taxi up the mountain in Bansko for €5 per head and avoid the queues, but it is v busy in Feb. Borovets has nearly as much skiing and is less crowded.

Vs Austria, smaller ski kms but nice skiiing, mix of mountain top and tree lined runs, slightly older infrastructure, but it all works well. Good skiing as long as you don’t mind skiing the same runs multiple times.

Food and drinks of an evening are excellent quality and cheap as chips.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jimmjimm, that's one of the funniest video clips we've seen for a long time on here.

Say thanks to the "laugher" for cheering us all up over here. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mr.Egg wrote:
local food in bulgaria is amazing.
If you like long slow cooked barbercue style meats, then your in for a treat.

Served cold and swimming in grease. Confused
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmjimm wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8
No discussion on Bulgaria is complete without this video.

I’ve seen that video at least three times but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to watch it without crying with laughter. Made my day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all. Hmmmm.... Think that I might just stay with my instincts and hang out for a last minute deal somewhere else.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Grizzler, from what I understand there is less of an issue with queues around mid March
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So in summary, if you aren't fussy, want a bargain, cheap hotels and food (I found the food fine), are prepared to get a taxi for 5 euros per person (rather than wait for a 2 hour lift queue) and have some decent skiing (snow conditions look pretty good at the moment), albeit a bit samey, I think Bulgaria looks pretty good. If not, a last minute deal.
snow report
It just checked and it has been over 25 years since I last skied in Bulgaria. I quite liked Borvets, didn't particularly like the skiing in Bansko (but liked the old walled Balkan village) and didn't actually ski in the other two resorts.

That long ago the food in in Bulgaria was terrible, basically just mixed grills and chips, often cold and very greasy. Grim. Then I discovered Turkish restaurants, which served excellent food. The wine was good as well. I hope the local cuisine has improved.
snow report
Borovets is indeed cheap, and if the snow conditions are good you can get some great skiing in for a few days for not very much money at all. But it is a bit downmarket as well as cheap, so make sure you keep an eye on all of your equipment and belongings all the time, including when you go out as things get stolen.

Food is decent, drinks are cheap and the people are friendly, especially if you take the time to learn a little Bulgarian. The village is also quite cute (if you ignore the lapdancing bars), and the views from up the mountain are beautiful.
snow report
@HoneyBunny, just wondering how your friend is? I read your post about how your trip had gone with a decent amount of sympathy - nightmare
latest report
Been to Bansko twice, albeit in early march.
In february, with a rented car you may drive up the mountain at 08, park there and avoid the gondola's big queue. Or take a taxi as described/ be down at 8, wait in line for half an hour to go up.
The food is OK to very good, check Google/TripAdvisor.
Problems: the blue pistes will be awfully crowded. Rented stuff is quite basic.Group lessons are lousy.
If you are an early riser who enjoys red pistes and their 2 black ones, go for a 3-4 days cheap and fun ski trip. Perfect apres ski down from the gondola.
snow conditions
some hire places run their own 'taxi' service. Plus quite a few other non-licenced taxis who take you up for a fixed fee.
snow report
@bambionskiis, ahh she's much better now, thank you for asking. She was in hospital for a week, then off work for nearly two weeks - she's back this week but on Sunday fell down the stairs and twisted her ankle! She's a disaster lol.

Oh - btw, insurance paid out for my stolen jacket, my mum perfectly mended my broken trousers, Snow+Rock are fixing my broken ski boot, Burton sent me a new lens for my scratched new goggles for free (very nice of them) and I decided to treat myself to a new phone, rather than use the replacement work one.

So all is well that ends well.
snow report
@HoneyBunny,

Sounds good
Burton CS is awesome.
Replaced my 5yr old board bag for free when the zip failed
snow conditions
^ I was amazed! I showed them a pic of my old Anon goggles where the reflective coating was coming off and said the new ones had been replacements for them, so they sent me a new lens! I wasn't expecting anything at all.
ski holidays
Thats good @HoneyBunny, : all's well that ends well then, but what an experience. Your poor friend Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy