Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila to La Thuile for day trip-public transport or car ??

Poster: A snowHead
Staying in Pila and looking at doing a day trip to La Thuile ( looks better snow) and was wondering if there is a convenient bus to take from Aosta (can drive down to car park) or whether it’s easier to drive from Pila there? We are hiring a car a small economy car -Cleo size and not sure if 2 adult skis and 2 kids skis will fit into car??

Has anyone done a day trip to La Thuile from
Pila and was it easy ? We have another free day somewhere in a Aosta and I was wondering what people would suggest ? Family-easy terrain. ⛷
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hils68, if you can get the kit in the Cleo it's an easy drive, about 20 mins to Pre St Didier in the valley then 15-20 up to La Thule, choose you day though as you may need chains to get up. Don't be tempted to pop over the La Rosierre unless the forecast is good, the link can close at short notice, and it's a long way round by road if it does. There will be a bus to Courmayuer, not sure if theres a direct to La Thuile, so you may need to change in Pre St Didier, check to times there should be 1 each hour. Courmayuer is also on the pass, and worth considering. All 3 places have good family skiing. You can also get one trip up the skyway to Mont Blanc on your lift pass, its stunning in good weather, if you get there for 3pm it will give you enough time to do both stages of the lift and spend a few minutes at the top station, we did it a couple of years ago and loved it.
We're going to Courmayuer this year, and we're getting the Aosta pass, we're planning on 4 days in Courmayuer, and 2 in both Pila and La Thuile, by car, booked a 4x4 with winters just in case.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There used to be a nice train journey from Aosta to Pre-st Didier where there was a connecting bus to La Thuile. It closed in 2015 and youre now reliant on two buses. Two buses could work out okay from Aosta-Courmayeur-La Thuile if you are up at 9am and ready to bus, but dont expect the connections to work so well if you start busing it mid morning.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you. Will hopefully be able to get the skis in the car. Thanks for tip on Mont Blanc too ... may do that. We have done Pila for a couple of years now - so would like to try La Thuile and perhaps Courmayeur too. Hopefully they may give us bigger car - although last year I am sure we got a smaller car than we booked !!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hils68, are you in Pila now? Are the snow conditions not good? We are coming there next Sunday
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've driven from Courmayeur to Pila and Courmayeur to La Thuile... I imagine trying to take a bus would be depressingly long and inconvenient. If you can get someone to ride on top and hold the skis, I'd drive. La Thuile is great!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done Courmayeur to La Thuile a couple of times when there used to be a direct bus - at one point it was even free. Took about 40 minutes, from the centre of Courmayeur to the bottom of the pistes in La Thuile.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bella2015, How was it? Off to la Thuile in a week & a half. Fingers crossed for snow....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cardweg, we were there 3 days last week, snow was fine on piste, tracked out off piste. The few southerly aspect slopes were soft after 1, but the rest remained very good. We had Saturday in Courmayuer, which was much busier and softer. Let me know how your trip is, trying to get another sneaky few days in at the end of March
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hils68, I stayed in Courmayeur and took bus trips to Pila and La Thuile, both direct, both on time, both pretty cheap (less than €5) and both suitably timed (leave 8am returns around 5pm). They were Public Transport and not TO or tourist busses and had loads of locals on them too which was nice. I can't help with the Pila to La Thuile, but if you have problems getting to La Thuile you could always head to Courmayeur as an alternative.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@cardweg, we had a great time and snow conditions were mostly good as@geoffknight mentioned. Towards the weekend it started to get really slushy with brownish bits on the lower slopes/ sunny spots but overall was good ( not sure how it is now though, we came back on Monday)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rogg, isn't the bus between Courmayeur and La Thuile free on the ski pass? I thought it was when I was there a few years ago.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@adithorp, it was about ten years ago but they started charging for it
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The title of this thread keeps catching me out, as Pila to Aosta is a cable car ride Very Happy This thread is actually about Pila to La Thuile. It would be great to get the thread title corrected.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sugarmoma666 I was thinking that too ... Aosta is just a short walk from the bottom of cable car.
snow report
nbt wrote:
@adithorp, it was about ten years ago but they started charging for it

Ten years! Shocked Time flyswhen you're having fun.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, @DrLawn, good call. done.
snow report
@geoffknight, will do,sir.
Counting the hours now. Snow is forecast
snow report
Thanks @Bella2015,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy