Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best route to Les Get from GVA

Poster: A snowHead
any advice on best route to Les Gets from Geneva Airport on Thursday evening much appreciated Puzzled
Seems to be 3 options:

a) follow Lake Geneva shore, turning at Thonon les Bains onto D902
b) A40 turning off at exit 17 around Bonneville for onto D19 / D902
c) A40 again but turn off earlier at exit 15 around Nangy for D9/D907 towars Saint Jeoire
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
c)
Thonon is only used when C) is blocked up!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks @chattonmill
also, is it best to head south from ahe airport on the A1 rather than go through Geneva?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I usually go A40 to 15 and up Vallee Verte via taninges and up the hill. Has a toll tho.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@simonx, depends if you get hire from Swiss or French side & if hire car has vignette.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would generally not go through Geneva, especially at busy periods.

I would go b) usually. It's quieter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My preferred route is autoroute to France, A40, Jct 17 to Marignier to Chatillon sue Cluses to Taninges to Les Gets.

Only use Jct 15 if autoroute is rammed!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with orange,been going to les gets for 12 + years and this is the quickest route,toll is only a couple of euros.dont go through Geneva just follow signs to France as you come out of airport.Again if you’ve hired car on the french side you have to leave and enter the airport on a different route to avoid the douanne ,border control cause they’ll charge you 40 euros for a vignette
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all will go for (b) - is there much difference between taking Jcts 17 and 18?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you take Jct 18 you go through Cluses, which is just grim.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers.

We are staying up on Routes des Chavannes, airbnb appartment next to Lodge le Chasse Montage, should be almost ski-in/out hopefully, however have to get skis first thing Friday morning for my daughter from Evasion Sports (Ski Republic) near the Telecabin du Mont Cherry, is it easy (and reasonably priced) to park around there Puzzled
Will need to get lift passes too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There’s plenty of car parking around there it can get busy but you don’t have to pay in most of them.theres parking on the One way street as you drive up to evasion sports too,best to go early though to get a space.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@simonx,
Why not order passes on line, collection is from the tourist office, which is closer to Evasion Sports and can be a lot quicker. They may even post to you if there is sufficient time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@orange, I think you mean the Vallee de la Griffe.
The Vallee Verte goes up through St Andre, the Haberes to Lullin ( Mont Forchat ).
You can get to Les Gets this way, but from Lullin, but you would need to carry on through Vailly, the Vernaz, the Gorges du Pont de Diable, and then through St Jean, skirt the edge or Morzine and then onto Les Gets. It's a lovely road, in but it would add an extra 45 minutes to your journey.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It’s signposted vale verte of the a40 about a mile after the toll and takes you through mieussy and Tanninges and then up the mountain takes about 1 hour and 15.Its the the route the transfer companies take unless the snows bad and then they would go up to thonon and skirt the lake to Geneva
ski holidays
It’s signposted vale verte of the a40 about a mile after the toll and takes you through mieussy and Tanninges and then up the mountain takes about 1 hour and 15.Its the the route the transfer companies take unless the snows bad and then they would go up to thonon and skirt the lake to Geneva
latest report
@Cast, It's a route to the Vallee Verte, but it isn't the Vallee Verte...
snow report
i will put my question here in order to avoid to open a new Topic.
Coming from Germany and heading to Les Gets i have two options :

either entering France from St. Gingolph and taking the route from Thonon - Montriond - Morzine - Les Gets

or go round Geneve and from A40 heading either to Cluses or a little bit further from exit 15 i think a go direct to Taninges etc

According to google maps the route from Thonon is faster. But it is really so?
ski holidays
@turms2,

Yes, the route via Thonon will be shorter and faster. It is also less prone to traffic issues.
snow report
zzz wrote:
@turms2,

Yes, the route via Thonon will be shorter and faster. It is also less prone to traffic issues.

ok thanks for the reply. I think i will go this way, althought someone a little bit over said this route only if the others are not accesible.
But i think that applies to someone who come from the GEN Airport
latest report
@zzz, I concur. Going via Geneva is asking for trouble, and the autoroutes add a lot of extra distance ( I always go via Thonon and along the lakeside when going to the airport).

@turms2, The one area that is prone to traffic on your proposed route is the merging of motorways at Vevey, between 6 and 8 in the evening and particularly on Friday night, when it can be stop-start for 10km before and after the A9/A12 junction, so from Chatel St Denis to Villeneuve. Unlikely you'd be travelling at that time, but just in case.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@zzz, I concur. Going via Geneva is asking for trouble, and the autoroutes add a lot of extra distance ( I always go via Thonon and along the lakeside when going to the airport).

@turms2, The one area that is prone to traffic on your proposed route is the merging of motorways at Vevey, between 6 and 8 in the evening and particularly on Friday night, when it can be stop-start for 10km before and after the A9/A12 junction, so from Chatel St Denis to Villeneuve. Unlikely you'd be travelling at that time, but just in case.

nope...hopefully at Friday evenig i will be already in hotel for the dinner
latest report
We had a Skiddy transfer and the driver went by Thonon as was the weekend. Was a nice drive too, and took us through Geneva, you get to see the fountain if it's on.

Just be careful of speed cameras in Switzerland, you'll probably pass like 10 going that way and they are urban speed limits so fines are heavier (1kmh over = 40 euros)
I think there's only 3 or 4 on the motorway route back and the fines are softer.

Also worth noting that Swiss speed cams do not come up on sat navs too.

Posting from someone who just drove in Switzerland for a week, so am still waiting for the final bill for our holiday wink
snow report
Just got with the Post a nice Letter from Switzerland
Driving with 111 instead of 100 = 60 CHF
Embarassed

Really annoying. I Was with 130, saw the sign And immediately slow down
But until i reach the 100 Limit was too late
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy