Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kronplatz

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
It seems to fit the bill of some not too scary blues for wimpy me, and something for the others to get their teeth in to.

Planning 17th -24th March... too late for the area?
Apartment location reccomendations?

Info appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We have been that week several times over the years. Is it too late in the season? Sorry, the answer is "it depends". And as for apartment location, the answer is........ "it depends"
The lower runs will be (probably) fine in the mornings but soft by lunchtime and possibly (not definitely) getting a bit slushy towards the end of the day.
So...... how many people, what standard, what else is important?
If you are looking for blues (a lot of the reds are easy-ish as well) then late in the season the best ones will be on top of Kronplatz. The easiest access to those for the beginners will be via gondola from Olang / Valdaora or from Reischach / Riscone. The gondola gets you to the top and because of the shape of the mountain there is a choice of blue / red runs and at the end of the day you can take the gondola back down again. For those who want to ski down at the end of the day, the bottom of the red run down to Olang (Gassl) can get a bit cut up and heavy going by the end of the day. The bottom section of the blacks down to Reischach can also get heavy. It will almost certainly be do-able, but not as pleasant at the end of the day as at the start.
My personal choice would be to stay on the other side of the mountain at San Vigilio. They will do their damndest to keep the blue piste Miara open as it is so good for confidence building. From there you can get up to the top of Kronplatz via a couple of gondolas and a chair (or short walk) and then you have the blues / easy reds at the top to go at. At the end of the day, from the top of Kronplatz to San Vigilio there are a couple of spots that again can get "heavy" and cut up late in the season but you can bypass them. Instead of skiing down Sonne or Furcia from the summit, take the Ruiz gondola and from the bottom of that it's a short ski to the RaRa chair which takes you to the top of the Col Toron piste and gondola. At the end of the day if the snow is "heavy" I suggest take the Col Toron gondola down and finish skiing Miara to the town.
Don't miss the runs on the other side of San Vigilio though (red and blue and black as well)
The beauty of Kronplatz is that there are so many gondolas which means you can download on them as well as upload.
Is it worth it at that time in the season? My answer is "yes" but assess the snow conditions and if it is heavy at the end of the day, don't be afraid to use a gondola.
More experienced skiers will want to have a day or two in other areas (covered by the Superdolomiti lift pass) and a hire car is useful for that.
Accommodation : first of all, at that time of the season you are probably in the "SuperSun" special offer. Not all accommodation providers take part in this, but many do. It is a pay for 6 / stay for 7 night offer and the same sort of deal applies to ski school, ski hire and I think lift pass. Google "Super Sun". We like www.mareo.it for the convenient location in San Vigilio but if you want some where cheaper then you can stay in Mantena but it really is nothing like as convenient (no shop, reliant on ski bus or car, long walk otherwise)
One of my favourite pistes is Piculin (black) which can get full sun in late season and may not be open or only worthwhile in the morning

Anything else? Any specific questions?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That a fantastic. Thank you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy