Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck - Obergurgl - Transfer or Hire

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, 2 of us are off to Obergurgl in March and quotes for transfer are 300 euro - Our flight back is very early so the Otzal shuttle doesn't work for us unfortunately.

We can hire a small car for 160 euro (no skis) so this seems the way to go but just wondered if anyone had an idea of Toll costs or if anything else I need to be aware of having never driven in Austria before.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming you use the Autobahn you need to have a vignette, a 10 day one costs about €10, though if you hire a car in Austria there is a good chance it will already have one. Do not even consider not getting one, there are big fines, playing stupid tourist wont help. Do keep to the speed limits, there are a good number of cameras. Otherwise just remember to drive on the right side of the road Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If be hiring from Innsbruck, looks like tolls will be 20 euro each way and fuel similar
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ol_smokey, there are no tolls as such, only the vignette, which costs around €10 for a week or so, but is highly likely to already be on a hire car.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh ok ta, the Michelin route planner got me confused then.

Cheers
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Done this many times it is normally marginally cheaper to hire a car than get transfers and it does give you that bit of flexibility even though the car will prob never move all week when you are up in he resort you may just want a trip down to solder and you can set of back to the airport whenever you like rather than when the transfer company dictate
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've hired a few times for Obergurgl and Ischgl. It's a bit cheaper than a transfer. And very pleasant drives both of them, especially the Obergurgl one . Use a comparison site such as Auto Europe. Mega Drive usually the cheapest and the desk at Innsbruck is well manned and quick. (Budget run out of the Europcar desk and aare much cheaper for the same cars).

A class C hire car takes skis...

WARNING! make sure you buy excess insurance. And do this yourself rather than take up their offer as it's much cheaper. Had a very slight knock two weeks ago (automatic handbrake didn't come on and car rolled gently in to barrier in parking area as I was looking at phone). Megadrive cost for repair - about €800... My insurance (which is about £30 for a week or £40 annual) has already paid out - and they are using a company "Damage Reclaim" to challenge MegaDrive (as it's a £200 to £300 job really).

There's a Shell garage about 10km out of Innsbruck to fill up at.

Also on cost - check your hotel offers free parking; and it is more useful if that is covered. Had free parking at the Gurglhof in Obergurgl where they parked the car in their underground garage... and damaged it! Their insurers paid up but it was a bit of a pain.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ol_smokey wrote:
Hi, 2 of us are off to Obergurgl in March and quotes for transfer are 300 euro - Our flight back is very early so the Otzal shuttle doesn't work for us unfortunately.

We can hire a small car for 160 euro (no skis) so this seems the way to go but just wondered if anyone had an idea of Toll costs or if anything else I need to be aware of having never driven in Austria before.

Hire car includes vignette. No toll costs to Obergurgl.

See my other mail - make sure you get excess insurance yourself; risky not to have it, and cost of that supplied by rental company is £50+ for a week.

The speed limits change frequently in Austria - they'll drop to 80kph for just about every junction on the road up to Obergurgl. Even the autobahn ones are changing all the time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Buchanan, got excess insurance for when we go to France so that's already bought. Staying up at the Gotthard which I think has free parking so again looks like hiring is the way forward - just hope we don't get stuck in a snowmageddon! Was the Megadrive car supplied with winter tyres?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, they are always supplied with winter tyres. They'll offer snow chains - not necessary, winter tyres are amazing for snow (compared with what we drive on here).

From google "Mandatory Winter Equipment: In winter conditions the use of four winter tires or snow chains on at least two tires is now mandatory in Austria between 1 November and 15 April. Alternatively, all-season tires are also acceptable during the winter season."

The road from Solden was shut when I was in Ischgl 3 weeks ago (and Ischgl was cut off too). Got in and out fine - missed the worst.

I've driven to Obergurgl 3 times in March, never a problem.

Car hire at Innsbruck is really pretty simple!

Megadrive are fine - my car was better than I reserved (a Focus ST with bells and whistles, including a natty head up display - very useful in Austria with speed limits changing all the time). Just their gaming of any damage costs (seen reviews to that effect as well as my experience), so the excess insurance covers that. Have used them 3 times now.

It's a really nice drive, especially if the weather is good. A few hairpins after Solden but they get full length buses up so nothing tricky.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 5-02-19 12:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
...if you can afford the Gotthard, car hire is nothing. Looks a great hotel, fantastic location...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's a significant birthday treat Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ol_smokey wrote:
It's a significant birthday treat Happy

Good! To be honest it looks very similar to the Gurglhof (also a 4*S ) where I have stayed so I can't talk!

I do like the modern Austrian interior styling. The sun terrace looks fantastic. That'll get quite warm in March.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Done both to Obergurgl and prefer the flexibility of a hire car and, IIRC, cheaper for four people. The care hire desks are opposite the terminal and really easy.

The drive is fine and convenient to have a car if you want to ski Soelden, though there are buses.

As well as the advice above using the consolidators such as Auto Europe, check the airline offer when booking your air ticket (taking the BA offer turned out to be the cheapest last time). Also, look on the main Hertz and Avis sites directly as they sometimes have holiday deals and worth joining their loyalty programme, such as Avis Preferred whoever you use for the booking for that rental company; with Avis on showing the Preferred account, we've always had a free upgrade.

If you want to fill up before returning the car, there is a 24 hour BP garage on the main road just outside the airport -the address is Kranebitter Allee 30, 6020 Innsbruck.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A private transfer might seem like the expensive option at first look, but in terms of hassle and possible extra costs, it´s an affordable luxury. If you choose the right company.
On a quiet day at Innsbruck airport you can be on route to resort within 15 mins of landing, maybe allowing you to get a half day ski on your arrival day. On a busy day maybe 30 mins.
Your driver knows the roads (and shortcuts if necessary), a good one can give you tips for the resort your staying at and drive sensibly and comfortably at the same time.
A good company will also give you the best advice at what time to leave to allow for holiday traffic, or just morning or evening ski/work traffic.
It takes extra time to collect and drop off a rental car. It might get damaged on the journey or while parked, causing an insurance excess. You have to add fuel and toll sticker. And if you´re really unlucky you have to drive in heavy snow conditions and need snow chains, extra time, digging the car out, stress, worry, etc, etc.
For a worry free transfer with a fixed price use a reputable transfer company.
www.teds-transfers.com
Also with a 10% discount for Snowheads Very Happy
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:

Most hire cars accommodate skis. We've had dozens of trips with 4 passengers and 2 double ski bags in a Corsa or Fiesta. (The skis rest on the rear parcel shelf down the middle of the car). wink
ski holidays
whitedescents wrote:
A private transfer might seem like the expensive option at first look, but in terms of hassle and possible extra costs, it´s an affordable luxury. If you choose the right company.
On a quiet day at Innsbruck airport you can be on route to resort within 15 mins of landing, maybe allowing you to get a half day ski on your arrival day. On a busy day maybe 30 mins.
Your driver knows the roads (and shortcuts if necessary), a good one can give you tips for the resort your staying at and drive sensibly and comfortably at the same time.
A good company will also give you the best advice at what time to leave to allow for holiday traffic, or just morning or evening ski/work traffic.
It takes extra time to collect and drop off a rental car. It might get damaged on the journey or while parked, causing an insurance excess. You have to add fuel and toll sticker. And if you´re really unlucky you have to drive in heavy snow conditions and need snow chains, extra time, digging the car out, stress, worry, etc, etc.
For a worry free transfer with a fixed price use a reputable transfer company.
www.teds-transfers.com
Also with a 10% discount for Snowheads Very Happy

Just a couple of comments. I've been underway from Innsbruck in under 10mins from rental company; it depends which you use and when you arrive - one reason I travel Fridays (Megadrive seem quite quick). Tolls - included. Excess - I buy an annual excess through a 3rd party; yes I had to claim last time (autohandbrake didn't come on as I thought and rolled gently in to a barrier whilst looking at my phone); excess company paid up within 2 days in full. Yes it's a bit of a hassle.

No shortcuts as far as I know between Innsubruck and Obergurgl or Ischgl or Mayrhofen (the 3 places I've hired to); all along the Inn valley then take a turn up a single road valley. Despite this I fully see the benefit of a transfer; it does cost a bit more depending where to but not a huge amount when it's all added up. I quite like the drives though! I always have plans in Obergurgl to drive to Solden for a day rather than bus; haven't yet, will do next January. Maybe!
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

Most hire cars accommodate skis. We've had dozens of trips with 4 passengers and 2 double ski bags in a Corsa or Fiesta. (The skis rest on the rear parcel shelf down the middle of the car). wink

Interesting... maybe I will go down a class next time!
snow report
@buchanan101, There are no shortcuts as such, but there are some alternative side routes around certain traffic queue hotspots if you know the roads Wink
ski holidays
whitedescents wrote:
@buchanan101, There are no shortcuts as such, but there are some alternative side routes around certain traffic queue hotspots if you know the roads Wink

True - did one on way back from Mayrhofen - satnav showed me it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy