Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, just looking for some advice regarding some ski boots I purchased.

Firstly I will give you a bit of background info; I was measured in Snow and Rock who told me I was a size 26.5 with a 98mm last. The selection in store wasn't great so I went online as they recommended the the salomon x/max was the best boot for my foot due to it being fairly narrow. I ordered a pair of salomon x/max in size 26.5 which have a 97-104 adjustable last. On the box it actually says 26-26.5.

Today I have received the boots and they feel very tight especially round my big toe and after not too long wearing them my feet start to cramp up. Firstly is this normal with a new pair of boots as it is my first time purchasing my own? I have since measured my foot and it is about 26.6 so wonder if I may have been better off going for the next size up.

Just looking for some general advice from people who have experienced this before. I was planning on taking them to a boot fitters anyway but wasn't sure how much they will be able to do to make the boot bigger.

Thanks in advance Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MR97, Welcome to Snowheads. 26 - 26.5 is the same size. Liners will pack down as you wear them so you want the boots to be snug. if they are tight in an area a boot fitter can blow it out a bit and/or shave bits off. Can't say whether the boot is suitable for you but if you go too big they will be uncomfortable and you will get cramps as you try to stop your foot moving about inside. it is usual for boots to feel tight at first and if they fit they will settle down over a few days skiing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Send them back and go to a decent boot fitter, who as well as establishing you are a 26.5 and 98mm or otherwise, will then point you in direction of boots that suit your foot shape, it sounds like you need a wide-ish toe box, and then give you 3 or 4 pairs to try and establish what sort of flex rating you need.

Let people know where you live and people will recommend someone nearish hopefully.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx thanks for the quick response! Given the numbers I have given you with regards to my foot would you say that it is probably the correct size but it just potentially needs adjusting to free up some space where it is tight? I am a fairly experienced skier and can ski most pistes pretty comfortably so I do want a decent level of performance out of the boots but at the same time I don't want them to be uncomfortable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, I have been recommended a decent boot fitter fairly local so will take the boots there and see what they suggest. If they suggest that the boots aren't right for my foot shape I will send them back but hopefully a few adjustments might do the job.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@MR97, with your foot length the 26.5 sounds right, is it the correct shape? can't tell you that without seeing your foot, any foot less than 27.0 cm should definitely not be going up a size UNLESS there is a massively high volume med/rear foot and high instep
the liners on the salomons come up a little short so when the shell is heated and a toe cap used to compress the liner you should have plenty space, remember to discuss footbeds with your chosen fitter, these will fill the gaps under your feet and stabilize your foot reducing any spread
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Might also be worth considering that wearing a good sock, and clipping up in the correct sequence makes a huge difference.

Having just got back from a boys week where a mate was crippled by discomfort at his shins, which were resolved by a boot change by the hire company, I really would want to try before I buy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CEM thanks for the advice. Yeah I was planning on getting a footbed anyway, hopefully the shape of them should be okay. Read elsewhere online that a heal lift can help create some space at the front of the boot so hopefully the guys at the fitters will be able to work something out!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If they have the comfort fitvliners you can speed up the wearing in process by heating the liners. I've just done this with my new boots ( same size and make as last boots, but felt very tight around toe joint). Has made a difference B-) I've also bought some very thin ( nearly non existent!) ski socks

Have a look on you tube on putting extra padding around toes before you put your feet in the heated liners.
You can also put the outer shells in the oven ( see you tube again)...but luckily I don't need this extent of space!!
My boots now feel comfy after four days of foot aches.
Hope this helps
Gaz
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @Dreamcatcher, thanks for the advice! Any reccomendations for socks? With regards to the heating I think I will allow the professionals to do that for me to be on the safe side.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MR97, whilst a heel lift can create a little space all too often they are used like paracetamol, to mask the symptoms of something else, heel lifts should only be used in cases of limited dorsiflexion to increase that available ROM and only then as a short term fix* as most of the issue can be removed with stretching and fascial release (* except when there is osseous blocking )
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM wrote:
(* except when there is osseous blocking )

My next band name
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
CEM wrote:
(* except when there is osseous blocking )

My next band name

I still need a drummer and bass guitarist for the newly formed Fascial Release....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy