Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada or stick to the alps ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I am hoping for some advice please

After skiing the French Alps for the last 8 years with my family we have started to look further afield for 2021.
Canada has always been on my bucket list and I want to do it before my son becomes to old and teenager like (think kevin and perry) and while I can stil bend z knees, I have no real idea about the costs of such a trip other than it is way more expensive than what I am used to.

Our holidays are usually self drive to La Tania and booked by our selves rather than using a travel agent for a package, if planning on Canada would I be best to go with one of the big operators to take the hastle out of it all ?

I know I could google for relevant information but I would much rather get advice from likewise people who have some experience in skiing Canada.

Thanks for you help
Brett
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bert7cosby, I always use ski independence and take the hassle out of it. It's more like them just putting the elements together, not a package trip. I don't know why I think it's a hassle doing DIY in Canada, I always DIY in Europe. Some people here say how much cheaper they can do Canada DIY but I always want to stay in one of the very central hotels or condos with a transfer so Ski Independence can usually get a good price.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Have skied in the Alps for 25 years but did a honeymoon trip to Lake Louise/ Banff in 2004. An expensive trip compared to the Alps and I'm not rushing back because of the distance and expense, however it was a worthwhile trip. Unspoilt scenery, amazing customer service and no queues. Different apres culture too, with the added bonus of English being spoken, I found Canadians to be incredibly nice people.

In summary, worth doing even if just the once.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had exactly the same scenario about 6yrs ago. Both my sons were competent parallel skiers and we wanted to try something further afield. We went for Breckenridge, Colorado. We then went to Whistler, and more recently Banff.

For all the trips I booked all the elements myself. Scheduled flights (Denver, Vancouver and Calgary respectively), hired a 4x4 and accommodation (we chose through expedia but there may be better deals booking direct and get a lift ticket, see below). Given that you have done this for La Tania, I'd say go for a build it yourself trip to Canada.

Things to note:-
1) What time of year are you thinking about - for various reasons we were limited to just a week at February half time. Jet lag was manageable for the week (it just meant we were on first lifts) but pretty tough on the boys coming home overnight Saturday/Sunday and back to school Monday. I'd definitely think about 10 days if at all possible.

2) It was cold, but not impossible. We bought neoprene face masks which helped for the boys

3) Breckenridge is pretty high - we didn't get altitude sickness but some people do

4) Breck and Whistler can be ski-in ski-out. Banff is generally a drive to either Sunshine or Lake Louise. there is a hotel now at Sunshine but you'd be v isolated in the evenings

5) Lift passes are v expensive - it's worth looking through any deals and offers. The resorts are generally owned by a single firm so a combo of lift ticket and accomodation is worth looking into.

6) I found the drive really easy, even after a long flight - in all 3 places you are basically a 90-120minute drive along a freeway.

7) I really liked Black Tie Ski Rentals (https://www.blacktieskis.com/) who operate in both Whistler and Breck. They delivered all our rental kit to our hotel room on the night we arrived, saving a load of faffing for the night day. Service was also awesome when one of the party bust a ski pole.

8] We loved the whole outdoor hot tub thing, so that is now a pre-requisite for our accommodation.

9) We enjoyed the 'apres' in Whistler, but there really wasn't anything similar in Breck or Banff

I really loved both Canada and Colorado and we will definitely be going back. My kids would chose Breck over Tignes/Val D'Isere any day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The other thing to think about is whether just to fly to Vancouver, Calgary or Denver for the likes of Banff, Whistler and Breck. While it makes for a longer trip the add on flight to Kamloops or Kelowna opens up loads of other fab places, e.g. Fernie, Panorama, Big White, Sun Peaks etc (and I preferred them). I wouldn't bother with east coast of Canada unless you want a city break in Quebec as well
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There’s a company called Canadian Affair that we used a few years back, they were affiliated with Air Transat and at the time their package deals were much cheaper than the competition for the same dates, same hotels.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Canadian Snowhead here...I've skied the Alps, Colorado, USA (Aspen, Vail, Breck, Keystone, A-Basin, Aspen, Brecenridge), and Whistler in Canada.

If you decide to ski in the USA, like Colorado, you should buy the yearly local pass in April (up to September before the season starts). The prices are high....but that said, there is a collection of mountains within an hour of each other that are phenomenal. Breck is great, Vail can be unreal if the back bowls are full of new snow...like really unreal....lol.

Whistler can be the best place on earth if you get the right weather...I've been there about seven times, and had one bad experience where it rained at the bottom, foggy halfway up, and windy and snowy at the top. On the best days, it's hard to beat. It can be cold (we're used to it).

If anyone ever needs accommodation advice, feel free to PM me....I know the areas quite well and can give tips on pros and cons of different places.

Oh yeah...the Apres in Whistler is the best In the world. Awesome.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bert7cosby, costs need not be as high as you fear. You just have to hunt - the same hotel, lift pass and ski hire can be more than double the price if you book it in the wrong g place.

My tips for bringing the cost down are:

1. Check out American Ski Classics and Ski Independence for huge price reductions compared with sites like Expedia.

2. Always speak to the resorts directly. I have always found a better deal from a human being than on the same website, and, again, direct prices are usually lower than the mainstream online sites like Expedia.

3. Check out resort package offers. You often get a big discount on lift passes if you book accommodation with the resort.

4. Buy your lift passes in the UK, preferably early and with your accommodation. Only the rich pay full price for lift passes.

5. Go to a resort that attracts more summer than winter tourists. Jackson and Whistler sometimes have some amazingly cheap hotels in winter, for example.

For context, last year, 5 of us stayed in two vast rooms in the ski in/out 5* Fairmont Chateau in Whistler for less than £50 per night each in the Easter hols - and we didn't take the cheapest rooms in the hotel by a long way. That's considerably cheaper than any equivalent European resort.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@bert7cosby, I always use ski independence and take the hassle out of it. It's more like them just putting the elements together, not a package trip. I don't know why I think it's a hassle doing DIY in Canada, I always DIY in Europe. Some people here say how much cheaper they can do Canada DIY but I always want to stay in one of the very central hotels or condos with a transfer so Ski Independence can usually get a good price.

Snap and they have always been good. Only hassle is Canada is about double cost of the trip to Italy we do too - eating out all the time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve been to Banff the last few times - and love it. Always organised it DIY and found it very straightforward. Use Skyscanner or similar to find flights. Direct flights London to calgary. Can book hotels easily direct. Loads of choice (and as it’s a summer resort it’s good value and plenty of availability). If you want to hire a car it’s a very easy 90min drive, highway all the way. Or there’s frequent shuttle buses or even a taxi is good value. You can manage without a car in resort.

I’ve not found it too pricey like for like. Flights obviously more (but not much compared to European holiday time) Lift passes and hire much pricier but accommodation and food much cheaper.

Definitely worth going for at least 10 days and having a couple of days at home before work.

Is it better than Europe? Million dollar question!! It’s defibitely different and worth experiencing once. I do think it’s more of a ‘holiday’ than a typical European ski break.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whistler = rain.
Banff = Arctic cold.
Tremblant = concrete.

Go to Jackson Hole or Aspen, in the US.

Much better.

Do 2 weeks.

Do 2 resorts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You have to go for 10 days minimum to enjoy Canada.

The service is excellent, and the hotels are comfortable.

My wife just loved Banff.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can only give my opinon on whistler, have not been anywhere else. It does live up to the hype.

More than enough piste to keep you busy without going of the side for two weeks. Other activity to keep families interested (cinema, ice rink, skidoo etc.) Very good level of ski school (max4). Also worth a night in Vancouver, stunning city, maybe take in a ice hockey game?

Flights can be reasonable I was looking for November/December 19/20 season and KLM was less than £300 for a few dates but need to add baggage on this.

There is 3 main parts to Whistler, Upper village (blackcomb), main village and Creekside. I prefer main village, you access both mountains (whistler and blackcomb) and biggest selection of restaurants and bars.

Unfortunately most rooms are room only so eating out can add up, some rooms do have basic kitchens which can help and there is two supermarkets.

Unless looking for high end luxury, the crystal lodge is hard to beat for location (main village) and value you can pick up a family (two queen beds) for a decent cost. Outdoor pool and a minute walk to lifts. I always seem to get best deal booking direct on hotels own website.

Whistler is very expensive for a lift pass but a epic season pass can be cheaper but need to be bought before season starts and the price goes up the closer to the season starts.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 29-01-19 21:27; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Canada hands down.

It's definitely worth saving up and doing 2 weeks with a few different hills. DIY and hire a car/van. If you like night life then maybe a week in Banff accessing Lake Louise and Sunshine. Maybe a day or two further away, Panorama, Kicking Horse etc. Then swing on down to Fernie for (hopefully) a week of pow, or into the interior for something more adventurous Revelstoke, Sun Peaks etc.

Lift tickets are REALLY expensive but there are often offers through 3rd parties. For example you get cheaper tickets for Whistler at the 7-11 in Squamish, and you can get discounted Banff tickets at the Calgary Cosco (maybe UK membership works?). Definitely worth shopping around anyways.

In comparison, I find the alps very 'civilised'. Restaurants around every corner on the hill. Canada is a bit more rough and ready, but very friendly. Most lodges have free drinking water (leave your backpack at the hotel unless you're into backcoutry). Expect to chat with strangers on every lift, in fact it's rude not to Smile

Watch out for March break.

Don't bother with Quebec (where I grew up skiing) it can be f*£%ing cold and icy. Personally I'd give Tremblant a miss and head out west.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Going to Whistler last week of Feb (5th year running) so that gets my vote. The whistler.com site has a great lodgings booking service, if you email them with requirements rather than book online they are so helpful. I book flight and hotel myself, book a car to collect us from airport (did the bus first time, cheap and reliable, but for 5 people a car is same price). If you rent boots and skis near the lift base you can leave them there so wherever you stay in the village wont be a problem. You can do everything on the website, lodging, passes, ski school, transfers, equipment, no problem. If you book this way you can do maybe 10 days if budget doesn't stretch to 2 weeks. Kids ski equipment is free and so is lodging when they're under 12.
snow report
Banff is on my bucket list, and I've been twice already. Although I prefer ski in/out in the Alps, Banff is such an experience that the daily commute is part of the fun. Go for 10-14 days and leave some days to do other things.
ski holidays
Expense that are very different from the Alps can be broken down as:
- flight
- lodging
- lift tickets

The rest, food/drink/gear hire are "you get what you pay"

Flight: you work out the cost, time of year, deals etc.

Lodging: big variations. But typically you get HUGE rooms! And often a hot tub at the property, plus breakfast included.

Lift pass: That's a biggy! If you're going for 10 days or so, which you should, look into those multi-mountain season passes: Epic, Ikon, Mountain Collectives, (something in Canada for the RCM group too, I believe). In this day and age, there's NO reason to be paying $100+/day window price!

(You can still ski a few odd days in mountains not covered by your particular pass. But paying $100x10 would be extremely silly!)
latest report
A week is fine...you don't need 10 days if the budget is stretched
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
You have to go for 10 days minimum to enjoy Canada

...if you have enough holidays.

When Mrs B was a schoolteacher we did a dozen 1 week trips to Canada or the USA at Feb half term - and enjoyed every one of them. On trips to Winter Park and Breckenridge we even managed 6.5 days skiing, with a morning on the slopes on our departure Saturday (prior to an early evening flight home).

The 7 hour time difference works in your favour on the way there, meaning, despite a full day travelling, you still arrive in resort in time for a meal and bed - then wake up full of beans at the crack of dawn the morning after (due to the jetlag wink), ready to hit the slopes.

Yes, the overnight flight home the following Saturday is a bit tiring, and the jetlag takes a while to get over (for us anyway) - but it's well worth the effort (IMO) Very Happy
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
A week is fine...you don't need 10 days if the budget is stretched

Bear in mind the travel time is not just a 90 minute flight, and there is also a day each end affected by jet lag.

There is a considerable risk of "I wish I'd opted for an additional three days" regrets...
latest report
@crosbie, i have done 1 week trips about 10 times... inc with internal flights. It's fine for me. I have done 10 days in Banff and it was just a bit too long.

90 minute flight? You mean 9 hour?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@crosbie, i have done 1 week trips about 10 times... inc with internal flights. It's fine for me. I have done 10 days in Banff and it was just a bit too long.

90 minute flight? You mean 9 hour?

Well, I'm assuming this isn't likely to be the first trip of ten, so one might therefore be inclined to make it a longer one given a probability of being the only one.

As for 90 minutes, I was referring to a rough estimate of a flight from UK to the Alps.
snow report
@crosbie, gotcha
latest report
Fingersfreddy wrote:

Oh yeah...the Apres in Whistler is the best In the world. Awesome.

It's ok and certainly much better than the US but anyone who thinks Dustys or the Longhorn beats Chambre Neuf or Mooser madness or prime spring days at the Folie is pushing it a bit ( recognising that best is very subjective)
snow conditions
@bert7cosby, I can only speak of Fernie, lovely town with great recreational facilities and ski terrain that put the 'WTF am I doing here' Shocked at the forefront of my thoughts. If your family is into steep and deep, you'll love it, cruisy(sic) blues it ain't Confused
latest report
I have typed up two very detailed trip reports for Banff in the last two years, as has TommyJ. Do a search, I tried to put in as much useful info as possible. (Am on phone now so can’t find them). Have been 5 or 6 times now and would go again in a blink (maybe not in freezing January though!). Just understand that the next few days after arriving back you will struggle to function before 11am due to jetlag.
ski holidays
"Definitely worth going for at least 10 days and having a couple of days at home before work." Shocked Shocked

Surely you mean, "definitely worth having an extra couple of days skiing in Canada instead of doing nothing at home for a couple of days when you get back." Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
FWIW, my twopennies worth.

Canada has to be done.

Due to the journey times 10 days is the minimum I'd go for, but having said that we've never been for less than 2 weeks. Go for a road trip taking in 2 or 3 resorts to give the legs a rest. If it's not a powder day, the hills are almost empty, you get in so many more quality miles which means you will be more knackered.
We've used skisafari who are great, but are now thinking to organise the next one ourselves.
Been to Fernie (twice), Kicking Horse, Revelstoke and Banff (twice).
Fernie is a great intro to Canadian skiing - love the place, KH is small and frighteningly steep, @Masque, KH was the place that I first thought "WTF am I doing up here & how the hell am I going to get down" (& I think that was only a single diamond run!) Rev is small, steep, bumpy with lots of trees, recommended but if it snows the queue to get on the hill can be silly. Prob not going to Banff again, but LL & Sunshine could possibly be said to be the closest to European skiing in Canada.

Ditto re: getting home, shagged out, too tired for work!

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I enjoyed the apre in whistler but not it's not in the same league as Austria.
ski holidays
Ski Switzerland, ( zermatt full of Americans, Canadians, Japanes and Australians), Austria, or Italy?
Why go all that way for something different? Just a suggestion. No jet lag, probably better food, and scenery which is difficult to beat.
latest report
I've skied Canada seven or eight times, and each time has been great, my first visit was to Panorama with the kids, they loved it!

So go for it, but go to a proper resort, rather than whistler...
snow report
Bob wrote:
I've skied Canada seven or eight times, and each time has been great, my first visit was to Panorama with the kids, they loved it!

So go for it, but go to a proper resort, rather than whistler...

with or without kids don't rule out whistler , lots of haters out there , which I never understand , everything has its ups and down but whistler is a world class resort for many reasons and is most certainly a `'proper resort "
ski holidays
Dabber wrote:
...lots of haters out there , which I never understand ...

Quite. I totally get why somebody would love a classic European picture-postcard resort. I also get why someone else would want a huge French monster-area. Or a full-on North American place like Whistler. Or a subdued, chilled, carefree place like Panorama. They're all great.

A love of one of these is no reason to hate the others: they're all great on their own terms. For me, the real joy comes from mixing them up from one year to the next.

But if you were to pick over my corpse to find where my heart lay, it would probably be in a small, laid back, hardcore North American resort full of beards, beanies, real ale, crazy steeps, dense forests and moguls the size of small houses. But are the other options also awesome? For sure they are.

You don't know what you really love until you've tried it all. Love life!
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
Ski Switzerland, ( zermatt full of Americans, Canadians, Japanes and Australians), Austria, or Italy?
Why go all that way for something different? Just a suggestion. No jet lag, probably better food, and scenery which is difficult to beat.

Jonny Jones wrote:

You don't know what you really love until you've tried it all. Love life!

+1

Very Happy
latest report
Jonny Jones, Agreed, and I'm with ya on the resort type too - well apart from mogul houses Toofy Grin
latest report
Jonny Jones,

Well said JJ! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
As with all these type of threads the answers are always subjective, ask a 1000 people etc...

Skied Canada 2018. Stayed nearly three weeks in total with stops in Calgary both ends. Stayed in Bannf skiing all the nearby resorts then moved off to Panarama and finally to Fernie. Brilliant. Booked accom through Frontier Ski and flights and car hire by stealth and the web!

The answer to your thread question of should you go ski in Canada is an absolutely yes. Nicest people ever the Canadians, so welcoming without the false Yank type service attitude. Our trip was rather expensive by Europe standards but we are looking to go again in the next couple of years as it was so good.

Do it. Aim for end of Feb and prepare for the cold. You won't regret it.
snow conditions
I'd thoroughly recommend Whistler, tho has to be be for 10 or 14 days, really, to make it worthwhile. Very different experience from the Alps, but defo worth it... If it was closer, I'd go there a lot more often...
snow conditions
hi brett
ive skied Canada and the usa for the last 20 years in various resorts , mainly used ski safari and ski independence and also crystal .
the resort I always head too and have been too 6 times is panorama , fell in love with the place first time and go back every few years , I would highly recommend it .
but its ultimately up to what you want from a resort .
my top 3 would be

panorama
whistler
big sky

panorama is medium cost and size
whistler is huge and can be huge cost , not been since vail resort took over
big sky hard to get to but biggest area in north America and close to Yellowstone
snow report
f1l wrote:

panorama is medium cost and size
whistler is huge and can be huge cost , not been since vail resort took over
big sky hard to get to but biggest area in north America and close to Yellowstone

Whistler Blackcomb, BC, Canada – 8,171 acres. ...
Park City Mountain, Utah – 7,300 acres. ...
Big Sky, Montana – 5,800 acres. ...
Vail, Colorado – 5,289 acres. ...
Heavenly, California, Nevada – 4,800 acres. ...
Mt Bachelor, Oregon – 4,318 acres. ...
Sun Peaks, BC, Canada – 4,270 acres.

just saying snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy