Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot shells/liners and temperature responses

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just been skiing in seriously cold temperatures. Put boots (pretty much new) on in warm flat, short walk to lifts, clip up, couple of shortish runs interspersed with chairlifts, tighten up buckles a bit and, well, just ski for rest of day without any particular need to adjust boots at all. Yes, they stiffened a tad on lifts: but fundamentally the fit was really good and stayed good all day. Comfortable, useable boots. Yay!!!! Very Happy
This is seriously unusual for me... But I've had it before, again in very cold conditions, and on different boots. Yet take me to more normal skiing temperatures, including inside domes (never mind actually warm and sunny) and I could well be messing around with fit all day: too tight, too sloppy, you name it (not always in a predictable way, either). Same socks, not knowingly particularly sweaty feet or and foot swelling.
So what's going on? Shell, liner or foot? Should I just move to the Arctic?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Grizzler, ...it’s not just you. Pebax plastic is used for climbing boots since it is less sensitive to temperature and retains ‘plastic’ qualities at low temps. But it’s expensive. The thermoplastics used for most ski boots are relatively temperature sensitive - I have 110 Langes which need to be kept in the front of the car in the ten minutes to lift otherwise in a very cold car in jan, they are a struggle to put on. By Easter they are just floppy plastic things and I need much stiffer boots.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep - skied same boots, same socks, today in England at probably about -2c (sunny, dry cold) - more faffing, less comfort, buckles very different settings, lot more slop at the heel and in the cuff, generally didn't feel half as good a fit as they did at -20 Sad Flex didn't feel noticeably different though; maybe a tad softer, certainly easier to take off at the end of the day, though little difference to put on (which was in very warm apartment 2 weeks ago, at roadside today).
I give up.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Grizzler, don't quiteget the 'Put boots (pretty much new) on in warm flat, short walk to lifts, clip up, ' bit. For me it is always put boots on, clip up forget about boots!
If you walk with boots loose your feet are moving about causing movement in socks etc. I am firmly a convert of get buckle 3 sorted to pull your foot into the correct position then fasten the other 3 school of thought.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chris_n, Put on boots. Clips will barely reach 1st clip. Walk around in them for a bit, clips will then be able to be tightened as boots/liners warm up. Ski few runs, tighten again. Hopefully that should be it; frequently isn't, unfortunately.
This sequence is true of any boots which I've had from new.
(This ignores the fact that trying to walk on any surface or incline in a fully-tightened pair of ski boots (115s if it matters) without any kind of 'walk' mode is, for me at least, extremely difficult. With 3rd buckle right across ankle front tendons, doubly so.)
Sock movement never has been a problem for me. Toe bang has been an issue in 1 slightly small and lv pair due to slipping of the foot when walking, in turn due to inability of any boot I've had to give sufficient hold at 3rd buckle area (particularly reveals itself when walking in them, but an issue always which no fitter can yet solve, unless maybe one of them can and will get me some Zipfits - another saga, not relevant here.)
Maybe you have some super shells and liners which don't change with temperature, inside or out, or use? I want them...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy