Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Morning. After a long weekend skiing in schladming last month I noticed that the canting rivet on my old Salomon ski boots was missing. Given the cost to replace age of boot etc I’m thinking t may be a good time to buy new boots. I haven’t bothered before now as the boots I have are comfy.

I’m driving to la Plagne in February so was thinking of getting some new boots in decathlon in albertville or chambery on the basis they are good value and they should know what they are doing there re fitting etc

Is this a bad plan? Any suggestions?

I’m a pretty experienced skier but Just stick to cruising pistes

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

they are good value

Generally, but not necessarily

Quote:

they should know what they are doing there re fitting etc

I wouldn't expect so
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You might get some people sticking their noses up at Decathlon boots but they're not that bad. The president of the Telemark Ski Club in Les Contamines also happens to be the head of ski boots for Decathlon and says they're mostly old Scott boot designs apparently. The Decathlon skis are generally old Dynastar models with a new topsheet as well. (small caveat that he could have been bullshitting...)

You might get some snotty teenager who doesn't know how to fit boots though so it's a judgement call as to whether you trust them. La Plagne will have some reputable bootfitters I would've thought, though you will pay more.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn’t necessarily want decathlon boots but figured they would have a significant range in store ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nah I'm pretty sure they only stock own brand ski boots though happy to be corrected?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Meltus, defo stock other brands, but not very high grade ones. https://www.decathlon.fr/chaussures-ski-alltrack-90-h-id_8398787.html
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would I be better going to a fitter in la Plagne? Staying in montalbert
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
almost certainly yes.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you go see a fiiter in La Plagne, you may be able to repair that boot with a bolt...

and then treat yourself to a really, really good boot fitting later... it's never too late to discover the joy of zipfit liners wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@nick0861, send me a pm with a picture of the missing bolt and your address i can most likely send you one to keep you going
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CEM, wow thanks. How easy are they to fit? More than happy to pay you!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Could I just give a shout out of appreciation to @CEM, please who has sent to me (completely unprompted) the parts I need to fix my boot saving me a lot of hassle. Kind of restores your faith in humanity. Thanks very much
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BTW I treid to find a replacement rivet for a pair of fairly old boots. Two shops checked with salomon and both reported they were no longer available.
I ended up finding a suitable sized bolt with a gently domed head. Just pushed it through with the head on the inside and the nut on the outside. Spannered it up and cut the excess bolt off with a dremmel.
Good as new.
Clear CEM is a much better solution!
Still worth a try if anyone else is in the same position and generally finds buying ski boots a distress purchase (if the current ones work).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nick0861 wrote:
Could I just give a shout out of appreciation to @CEM, please who has sent to me (completely unprompted) the parts I need to fix my boot saving me a lot of hassle. Kind of restores your faith in humanity. Thanks very much

A duplication of this from me. Colin has very kindly sorted me with a small part that had dropped off my boot. In case it needed emphasising he is a great supporter of snowheads and deserves your business where it is practical..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy