Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to choose goggles?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I am wondering the best way to choose goggles. I am going to Finland in a month and have been before and before that to Austria, my goggles are just cheap second hand ones however I’m looking to buy new ones but my budget isn’t huge! I would be happy to continue to use my current ones if I can’t find any in my price range that’ll be worth it! I don’t want to spend over £50 but I’m not sure how realistic that is?! How do you choose which goggles are good for you and what you do? I’m completely clueless! I usually just turn up and go with the equipment I’ve got however this time around I’m looking on getting some nice stuff as I’ve stopped growing so it’ll all last me a while hopefully! Thankyou Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bellelovessnow, do you wear a helmet? If so then you need to take the helmet to the shop and try the goggles on with the helmet. If you just order some goggles online then it’s a possibility they may not fit quite right with the helmet. It might be ok it might not. If they are the same brand as the helmet then you would think they’d fit well together but it’s still best to try them on.
Other than that then when it comes to lens choice within the goggle frame you can pick lenses for low light conditions, lenses for sunny conditions and some lenses are somewhere in the middle.
You can get photochromic lenses as well.
I suggest you look online at goggle lenses (any brand website will do, usually the lens descriptions are on there somewhere, try Bolle, Smith or Scott for info) and that way you will have an idea before you go to the shop to try them on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And yes it should be possible to get a perfectly adequate pair of goggles to suit for £50.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bellelovessnow, also, fit is important. They need to have a good fit around your face. If you have a small face, you may find women’s specific ones are better, but the best way to find out is to try them on. Ask in the shop if you’re not sure how they should fit.
I have just one lens, Oakley jade prizm, which I find ok in almost all conditions. Not sure if you’ll get one of those in budget though. When I was new to skiing, I bought a lens for low light (orange, usually, or sometimes pink) and wore sunglasses on sunny days, so that might be an option for you until you need more goggles.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1. Goggles must fit your face and not, for example, pinch your nose. Generally, a smaller face, requires smaller Goggles.

2. They need to fit with your helmet, if you wear one.

3. Spherical lenses give less distortion and wider field of vision than cylindrical ones...but are more expensive.

4. Most decent brands have anti-fog coatings on the inside, decent ventilation and double lenses.

4. Lens choice is important ie. Do you only wear googles in bad weather, or all the time. You can have photochromic/changeable lenses/all round lenses.

5. To some degree, personal preference plays a part....some like the oversized look and some don't.

6. Keep an eye out for discounts on old stock or special offers. I have had good deals from TK Maxx, Sports Pursuit, Shade Station, RX Sport, Glissshop, Sports Outlet and Freeze Pro shop.

7. Bolle are often good value.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 27-01-19 22:26; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought these recently and really pleased with the quality and the fact that they are interchanging lenses with a strong magnetic attachment. Ordered them through their own website and they arrived approx 10days later (cannot be too precise).
Got a Green set for low light (LVT 80%) and another for sunny days (15%). So far really pleased with them, and the fact they had a discount on when I purchased, I got new set of goggles with a spare lens for under £50! Postage was free to the UK

https://outdoormaster.com/gb/product/ski-goggles-pro/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get yourself to a Decathlon shop. Best value kit I've ever seen.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here is the sort of deal I'm talking about: https://sports-outlet.co.uk/scott-dana-women-s-goggles-2861
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't really understand this. Lidl and Aldi do great goggles well under a tenner and Decathlon will give you the full range of Cat1-3 for not much more.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
up your budget & get a helmet with visor.
Saves all the trouble of finding goggles that with a helmet or helmet that fits the goggles.
Might be able to find a bargain on amazon with their weird pricing structure. Dont be afraid to look on german & french amazon. They will deliver to UK as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the replies!
I’m buying my helmet new as well so I’m going to do as most of you recommended and go in and get a recommendation and buy a helmet and goggles at the same time!
I wear my goggles all the time and am just going to buy general ones that’ll fit all purposes.
I’m only an intermediate skiier, have the funds to go once a year from now on but previously only been on real snow for two weeks combined. I only ski on fake slopes before holiday to get back into the technique. I happily ski reds and blacks (the blacks I’ve come across anyway! Not sure about all blacks everywhere!) and stay on piste so don’t need anything too technical or special!
I’ll have a look on the websites of the shops and see what they stocj and then maybe get some recommendations from on here and in store Smile
Thanks again everyone!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bellelovessnow, Keep an eye out for Oakley Prizm Rose (great versatile lens) and Bolle Modulator (photochromic lens and often available at decent value).

This is the sort of thing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Bolle-Gravity-Modulator-Ski-Goggles-Black-Diagonal-Vermillion-Blue-21151/1036720960
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't do what I did. Tresspass goggles, Aldi helmet. What a cockup, the fit individually but not well together.I may treat myself to a helmet with visor.
I saw lots of locals wearing the Wedze brand.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
I don't really understand this. Lidl and Aldi do great goggles well under a tenner and Decathlon will give you the full range of Cat1-3 for not much more.

Just picked up a pair of the Lidl goggles for £6. They are better than quite a few of the expensive branded ones I've used. Thinking about going back to buy 10 pairs and treat them as disposable.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wedze is the decathlon own brand. They had integrated visor helmets for 35 quid in there a week ago. Interchangeable visors too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy