Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix info

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I’m am travelling with a group of 10 next weekend for 4 days in Cham, just after abit of info really, we are staying near the office de tourism so.
1) would I be best pre booking hire equipment and if so where do you recommend?
2) would we be best sorting our lift passes out before travelling if so which would you go for and where would you purchase them from?
3) which areas would you recommend sking and in what order, there will be a mixture of abilities 50% blue run confident 30% red run and 20% black run?
4) can anyone recommend good restaurants that will cater for the larger group?
5) where is best for apres?
Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd start off at le houches to find your feet. Then le tour. After that grand monets and then brevent/flegere to finish.

A word of caution. The pistes on brevent and flegere seem to be a little underrated. Some of the reds are quite technical. Some of the blue runs will get your attention too

Lift passes are available at each area. We got ours from the hotel

I can't recommend what apres to go for as it depends on what you're after. The cheapest beer I found was at bar'd up but I personally thought it was a dive. Seems very popular so perhaps its my taste.

My firends used intersport for gear rental and the service was utterly garbage. There's loads of rental places so I can't see you struggling to get equipment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you're staying in Chamonix centre then I'd make your first day easy by simply walking up to Brevent.

That way you know precisely how easy it is to get home, which also means that if some of your group want to call it a day earlier than others they can do so easily. For this and other reasons it would make for a more relaxing first day, which is also the day to avoid over-exertion.

Day 2, perhaps try other areas.

Day 4, consider doing the easy Vallee Blanche route (with a guide & lunch stop).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best quality hire equipment will be from Concept or Local CHX. If you're skiing on piste and not bothered about top of the line skis then technique extreme is generally cheapest.

Lift passes are the same price no matter where you get them. Go to the Montenvers ticket office or the Chamonix All Year office if you want English speaking. Just get Le Pass, don't bother with Unlimited if you're piste skiers and only there for 4 days.

If 50% of your group are confident *only* on blue runs then you're going to struggle a bit. They should stick to Les Houches and Le Tour (or get lessons).

Loads of restaurants. My favourite is Munchies but it's pricey (and not French)

Apres isn't really apres in Chamonix as you would find it elsewhere. Chambre Neuf has a live band from 6-8 and it usually busy. Bardup and Beckett & Wilde have 3 euro beer happy hours from 4-6, depends what your scene is. The Folie Douce hotel has opened for this year but it's indoors and a bit weird in my opinion.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Meltus, "Le Pass" doesn't cover Les Houches... Buy online perhaps?

Definitely Concept (behind the Aiguille du Midi lift station) if you're fussed about kit.

10 isn't really a "bigger" group. The Bighorn had a booking for 56 the other week... (it is worth a visit).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ah yes you're right. Well, maybe get unlimited then or just get a Les Houches pass for 1 day.

Bighorn has 5 euro Warsteiner which is one of the better beer deals you'll get in town as well!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Meltus, the blonde stout is much nicer!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just started a new post on Cham before seeing this and you have answered all my questions. Thanks!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MBC for pitchers of beer, burgers and wings. Might be best to book a table though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Super excited for you i've done several seaqsons in chamonix and am heading back for another one at the end of this year
First day La Tour 300% , real nice crusing well groomed pistes
Best ski area is Grande Montet for sure , snow is usually great here
Les houches is great for some tree line skiing
As previously mentioned Flegere and Brevent can catch a few people out
The runs there can mogul up a bit , if you are in the right part of town you may well be able to
walk to the brevent lift , im going to mention this now if you are happy to chill to like 5.15 pm or leave the areas
at say 4 pm do so . 4.30 the buses are like hectic i'm a decent size lad and i was getting pretty teasy at times
Some people just do not care , poles going everywhere etc etc , i'd have like a beer and catch a slightly later bus , there are loads
i'd get my ski's from Concept , lift passes easy to source once there get the mont blanc unlimited treat yourselfs
The Vallee Blanche just has to be done it's an amazing experience (seperate fee )
perhaps those that are at blue level leave it to mid week ,
pic a day when you know there is going to be to much wind , so the top lift is open
The more advanced skiers can look forward to some of the best off piste sking in Europe and some great tests on piste as well
restaurant wise there are so many it's crazy Le Vert hotel serves great food you don't have to be a guest there it's also good apres ski as well
apres ski " the pub" is a fav of mine , Munster bar Chambre9 and many more , partys go long into the night
To many restaurants you will have time to look at menus , you can go from moderate price to expensive to serious money
Cham is like the mecca resort of the alps
Is the skiing the mosy convinient no , is the experience a good one , oh yes you will love this
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can never understand why les houches always gets recommended to people on a short break to Chamonix... believe me the majority of the group will get pissed off with the faf of getting there and it'll ruin the day. If I was organising 4 days (provided your staying in Cham center) it'd be 2 days up Brevent/Flegere, one day up le Tour and one day up GM (and tell the less experienced to head where ever they enjoyed the most).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oops i missed it was only 4 days yes forget les houches
i'd do la tour , grand montet , vallee blanche , brevent.
i imagine the less experienced will like la tour best
For me the best skiing is at the Grand montet
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m no bus lover, and only ski Les Houches when everything else is shut, but why is it more faff to take the bus to Les Houches than Le Tour or GM? It’s just half an hour on the no 1 right?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We had a brilliant night in Chambre Neuf a fair few years back. Beer at 4pm, live music around 6pm, transitioning to cocktails as the music finished. Decided that going back to our hotel to get changed for dinner seemed like too much effort so back to beers until closing, then home to bed via a window selling burgers.

All well and good, but possibly not for the first night in brand new ski boots!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@London_Falcon, and they are quite nice burgers out the window as well!
snow conditions
Is that poco loco you're talking about? Now that was one tasty burger!!!!!
latest report
@dave_3, poco loco good, beluga better, beluga, one burger feeds a family of 6
snow report
Gutted I missed that one.
snow report
@dave_3, it’s out towards the excellent curry house... other end of town from you...
latest report
My mate works at The Vert Hotel as a chef so +1 for that
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy