Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First-time ski resort for beginner

Poster: A snowHead
I'm struggling to find the best first-time ski resort for a beginner with as many blue slopes, as possible.
Taking into account the transportation options, I'm now a bit undecided between Madonna di Campiglio (IT) and Solden/Obergurgl (AUT).
What would you suggest out of those two?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For an absolute beginner I wouldn't stress too much about finding the resort with the most amount of blues.

It's likely that you'll be solely using greens for the first few days anyway. Sure you want some blues to hopefully progress onto by the end of the week, but even a small resort with a few blues would probably keep you happy for your first ski holiday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Saisies everytime.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Somewhere with a good ski school. They will the take the beginner on the right slopes, based on conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arinsal in Andorra.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Haven't been to either of your suggested resorts so cannot help with those, sorry, but in case you are considering other resorts: I went to Alpe D'Huez, France, as a beginner and it suited me perfectly. The main bowl is made up of numerous wide green runs, perfect for gaining confidence over the first few days - I loved it, and I can't think of anywhere else I've been since that has a better expanse of convenient, long, wide greens. I believe there's a beginner lift pass that covers some of these greens, which could be a good cost saver. There are plenty of nice blues to progress to later in the week - some of these head over to different villages, giving you a good feeling of travel around the area. We got a pretty cheap package deal there from the UK, although that was a few years ago now.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ second vote for Alpe d'Huez. Ideal beginner resort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mario84, what time of year are you planning on going?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for Alpe d'Huez, i took my beginner friends there last year and they had a great time. Also i highly recommend the Master class ski school there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski school is the most important thing for a beginner. Les Saisies is good in many ways but group lessons will be in French - though private lessons are cheap!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all for the suggestions.
Highly appreciated.
Will take a look at the Alpe d’Huez resort.

@kitenski I’m planning on going after couple of weeks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Soldeu in Andorra - great beginner slopes, lots of easy blues and a great ski school with British instructors.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Mario84, also be aware, greens are a French thing only. Blues everywhere else are the easiest.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another recommendation for Alpe d'Huez from me. Great place for beginners with that nice wide bowl of green runs, and if you progress quickly lots more exploring to do.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you're still in mind for Austria, we started our kids in Seefeld (and go back every January for a couple of days). You can get a train there from Innsbruck (super cheap train but a taxi is not expensive). The skiing is gentle, the town has lots of cafes, shops and a great ice-cream bar, there's a sport centre with pool, waterslides (and adult sauna centre if you have no little persons with you). The Krumers Alpin (not the Krumers Post) is a few minutes walk to the lift and is really lovely, closer to town than it looks. You can rent ski's at the lift base and store them there (no gear to cart around). I was in Obergurgl with my youngest (16) in Jan this year for a second time, we didn't really like it much at all, for any level, but others will think differently I'm sure. Beginner runs are limited, short and congested. If you're open to somewhere further away, the ski schools and beginner slopes are without equal in Heavenly (USA) and Whistler (Canada).
snow report
I would have usually just added another vote for Alpe d'Huez; and it was the place where the ski bug bit me; but having just got back from Avoriaz, it looks like it would be worth considering. The nursery slopes are gentle and wide, and now feed into a proper green slope, which runs alongside the easiest blue in the area. These 2 then lead to a chair from which there are green slopes taking you a bit further away or back where you came from. Then the next 2 easiest blues are in the same area (on the map, Prouclou, Prouclou premier glisse, Serrausaix, Tetras & Zore heading to Super Morzine). It probably makes for repetitive skiing, but it's a massive improvement on what they had before, and looks well planned and executed.

I suspect Alpe d'Huez just pips it; if only because there is more to do there if you don't ski.
ski holidays
+1 for Soldeu in Andorra.

It's very British, some would not like it for that, but as a beginner it's ideal.
The ski school staff are mostly native english speaking, the main village is quite small so easy to get around, package deals are plentiful (though independants will find that an Easyjet flight and transfer to the resort can be had for as little as £130 return)...

...and beer (lager) is about 4 Oooh-rows a pint.
Plenty of blue runs too, and not crowded either if you don't count the weekends nor World Cup downhill week (10-17th March).
ski holidays
Oh, a word of warning about Andorra.
It's not in the EU, and so telephone roaming charges can be astronmical.
Luckily I have Plusnet (using the 3 network I think...but check in case it's EE!!) With their network I was able to use my UK allowance at no extra charge. Perhaps a PAYG SIM card would work too?

MM
snow report
Also recommending Andorra, great modern lift system and great ski school. I was lucky to stay in El Tarter (near Soldeu) during a week in February whereby it snowed massively overnight within a couple of days of arriving. Had some fantastic group tuition with a Scottish guy during whereby I finally worked out how to ski with style in powder!
latest report
Meldrews_mate wrote:
Oh, a word of warning about Andorra.
It's not in the EU, and so telephone roaming charges can be astronmical.
Luckily I have Plusnet (using the 3 network I think...but check in case it's EE!!) With their network I was able to use my UK allowance at no extra charge. Perhaps a PAYG SIM card would work too?

MM

I guess it's EE, because Three data roaming does not work.

PAYG Andorra SIM will cost you €15. It's all credit and no SIM charge. You just need your passport and the address of the hotel where you are staying. You can utilise mobile data by SMS. €1 24h/50MB, €2 100MB/48h, €5 500MB/7d.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy