Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Make Sure your EHIC is with You when treated

Poster: A snowHead
As some of you know I recently broke my ankle. Worth noting the following regarding insurance and EHIC

When I was treated in Austria I did not have my EHIC on me, Instead I left my credit card details with the hospital to get treated.
The card was recently charged, which is fine as I was treated and now have an invoice for treatment received

I thought on return to UK that I would contact NHS / EHIC to recover the monies,. However it doesn’t work like that!
You must present your EHIC on the spot to get the free treatment that the country you are in provides. i.e you can’t claim it back when you get home

Your insurance may vary, Mine luckily covers all hospital costs regardless of whether I’m in an EU state or not. (Quite a few i am told inc the 'Select' natwest only cover costs above the EHIC)
I could however have been asked to stump up the hospital costs fully myself and never have been able to recover them which for me would have been 600 EUR

Mountain Rescue 250 EUR– Covered by Austrian Alpine Club, They are sorting this out as we speak
Ambulance 300 EUR – Invoice received, sent them a copy of my EHIC, invoice settled no questions asked
Hospital Costs 500 EUR – IF I had my EHIC on me this cost would have been sorted on the spot, Luckily insurance with Natwest (Part of my bank account) covered it all
Prescriptions 100 EUR – Covered by Natwest insurance

Pretty impressive how quickly it adds up! And mine was a very simple rescue via stretcher and relatively minor amount of work done at the local A and E

Ciao Ciao
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good advice. I keep my EHIC in a little plastic pouch with my lift pass, plus details of whatever travel insurance I have. You hope not to use it, but if you do it can save a bit of money and a fair amount of hassle.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PROJECT_MANAGER, correct - why would you think it would be otherwise?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, One can safely assume that when on holiday you dont 100% of the time have the EHIC in your pocket.
i.e you go out for dinner and slip over the kerb, voila you are in A and E and your EHIC is in your ski bag with your passport.

Common sense dictates to have it with you, Im just reiterating why you really should have it with you ALL THE TIME

@rob@rar, Same here, complete with passport, This was the one of a handfull of times i left it in the hotel.... Murphys law and all that
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PROJECT_MANAGER, I can guarantee that when on holiday I do have my EHIC all the time. It is in my holiday purse which I either have in my pocket when skiing or in my handbag or pocket when I go out, or in my pool bag if I am at the beach. Mr HL carries his in his wallet so he always has his too.

I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic, but it wasn't so much the common sense to carry it point, more why anyone would think that costs could be reclaimed from the NHS
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx,
In the past you could claim using the EHIC retrospectively, This is 100% correct as I have (Thats why people may think you can, as you could)
So if your the kind of person that doesn't keep up to date with this kind of thing it is a very useful FYI

Unfortunately the EHIC system does not allow any kind of momentary slip up on ensuring you have the card with you.
Evidently you are the type that does have it (EHIC) with you, however no one is infallible and catch 22 dictates that's when you will have an accident.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That was a good call to me - normally just carry the insurance, will make sure to take it as well.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

It is in my holiday purse
Me too. I have just this minute filled my holiday purse with what I consider to be the essentials: credit cards, EHIC, travel insurance card with policy number and emergency phone number on it, photocopy of the info page of my passport, snowHeads card and donor card/DNR instruction (which also has my next-of-kin on it). Oh, and some money!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can probs chuck 'em in the bin on 30th march anyways!!! rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PROJECT_MANAGER, Yes, I know you used to be able to claim back but it stopped in 2014. I don't dispute it is a good reminder to people. Maybe I'm anal - why would anyone got to the trouble of having an EHIC card then not carry it?

Yes, no-one is infallible. I did have my EHIC when I had an accident overseas...and I didn't need it at all as everything was private treatment approved by the insurer as the best course of action. I sincerely hope I never have to produce it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The guy in the next room to my hubby didn't even have his EHIC in the country with him. When he spoke to his travel insurers (Ski Club I recall, but it was a long time ago,), they took his NI number and sorted it out for him with DWP or whoever was looking after EHIC at the time. He was treated as if he did have EHIC by the hospital. We do carry ours in our wallets.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells, indeed, and I was pretty sure that was still the case and here it is:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519532/EHIC-Leaflet-Final-artwork6_11.01.2016.pdf

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/travel-health/what-do-i-do-if-i-lose-my-ehic-or-it-gets-stolen/ last reviewed in 2018
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When my son lost his card, I contacted the EHIC providers and was told that knowing your number was enough. Since then we all take a photo of our cards and therefore have it on our phones. As that was a few years back have things changed?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@CaravanSkier, now that's a good idea. Things haven't changed. This thread has become very useful
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...pauses to photgraph everything in wallet. Thanks, @CaravanSkier. Mind you, I'd hope not to lose my wallet.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, I have mine (a little zip up purse rather than a wallet) on a lanyard which I then slot through a beltloop so it's always attached to me when skiing. I am anal Embarassed
latest report
We have photos of our passports and travel insurance details. Not sure if we have copied the EHIC but it is with me and I will do so without delay. I think we have also (ie D has done it) e mailed these photos to himself/me so if we lost phones/ipads we could look them up.

When I had hospital treatment back in April near Annemasse for an infected finger I gave them travel insurance details (MPI), EHIC numbers, credit card details and our address in UK as well as France. Never heard a word from the hospital and neither did MPI who quickly settled the bills I had paid for doctor in the village, pharmacy for all the dressings required and the nurses in the village who did the dressings for three weeks. MPI kept the file open. When we went back to our chalet in July to finalise the sale of it there in the post box was the bill from the hospital for around 750 euros. It could have been sitting there a long time...
We scanned it and e mailed to MPI who settled it immediately.
latest report
@Pamski, I have passport on email - will do EHIC and Insurance when I get home
snow report
I keep scans of passports season passes driving licence credit cards ehic House and travel insurance etc on dropbox so I can access it anywhere. Its as secure on there as someone breaking into my house or my wallet and stealing the hard copies ....
snow report
Helpful thread. Thanks @PROJECT_MANAGER, it’s a good reminder.

I moved my info from my jacket pocket to my purse. Better idea.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, This is exactly what I had to do a couple of years ago when I broke my collar bone on a ski trip and ended up in Bourg St Maurice hospital, then realised my EHIC card was on my bed side table at home in the UK. It was all rather easily remedied by a call to my insurance people who spoke to the DWP and sorted it for me. Although having read the other comments on here I think the idea of a photo of all documents in my dropbox is a very good one. Oh my EHIC card was also out of date, but they managed to sort that out for me as well.
snow conditions
Oh no I have just lost a wallet with my EHIC card ( among other things) and going skiing in 3 weeks. Does anyone know how long it takes to get one reissued?
latest report
@Bella2015, Ehic abut a week - but do it now and remember its free! Don't pay a website to do it!
https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/startApplication.do

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 25-01-19 17:34; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Bella2015, I think you can get the number for one, which is really all you will need over the phone pretty quickly if not instantly on the telephone call
snow conditions
@wills_h,
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/519532/EHIC-Leaflet-Final-artwork6_11.01.2016.pdf

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/travel-health/what-do-i-do-if-i-lose-my-ehic-or-it-gets-stolen/ last reviewed in 2018
snow report
@wills_h, @holidayloverxx, thank you! Very informative and I know what to do now.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
...pauses to photgraph everything in wallet. Thanks, @CaravanSkier. Mind you, I'd hope not to lose my wallet.

What you don't do that???

Me Passports (photos) Visas (photos)

Hotel rooms, etc etc etc all on my phone.
latest report
@Bella2015, speaking from recent experience within a week. My wife and I applied on line. Also can confirm that they do recognise it at Visp hospital down the valley from Zermatt. Switzerland has a reciprocal agreement with the EU. I had a heli rescue by Air Zermatt and had to pay £1800 on the day by debit card (re imbursed by the silver SCGB Ski insurance) took about six weeks together with the extra nights my wife had to pay for hotel bills, my x days at Zermatts one and only private clinic, re booking of flights. This was back in April 2017, I was in hospital for 3 nights which involved an operation to plate up a shattered shoulder involving 5 fractures and a snapped upper arm.I presented my EHIC at their A and E check in as I was walking wounded. On leaving the hospital the only bill I had to pay was for a couple of Phone calls I had to make to appraise my OH of my progress. One of my friends who leaves all his bank cards in the Hotel safe and just takes cash for his daily expenses was surprised that I had to pay upfront despite showing my SCGB Insurance plastic card. Our friend now takes his cards with him when skiing together with his mobile phone. These are my personal experiences and cards in a safe are no good when you need them in Emergency situations. We all think it's not going to happen to me as most skiers think positive and it goes with the territory.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowbandit, thank you for sharing your story. sounds traumatic but hopefully you have made a full recovery... will make sure to take cards with and also have pictures in my phone ( I am prone to loosing things but hopefully not both my phone and cards at the same time)
snow report
@snowbandit, Hope you make a swift, full recovery. Thank you for telling us of your experience. Do you think they would simply have refused to treat you if you had had no means of payment on you?
ski holidays
MPI sorted temporary EHIC for us recently, faxed the Austrian hospital with the relevant details same day as incidenr. That said we'll make sure we have physical card or at least scans/number for next time to prevent extra stress.
latest report
Checked my EHIC this morning whilst packing for a ski trip and saw it had expired, doh. Ordered a new just one now. Fingers crossed I don’t need it in the meantime...
latest report
@Themasterpiece, but if you do just call to get the temporary number
ski holidays
I broke my tibia and fibula last year in Austria and I had a slightly different experience regarding EHIC. It's worth a mention that I called my travel insurance immediately, while still on the slope. The most immediate services, like rescue, ambulance and the closest hospital (private), where not covered by EHIC anyway, so having it with me did not make a difference. After the very first treatment (x-ray and a shot of painkillers) at the private hospital, I was transferred by ambulance to the closest public hospital. This was all arranged by my insurance, so didn't need to do much about the paperwork.

I know I had my EHIC with me on the trip, but I cannot remember if I was carrying it at the time of the accident and - consequently - when being admitted to the hospital. However, I was informed by the hospital staff that they had already received all the necessary information from my insurance company and they knew I was covered. So, in my case all hospital treatment was covered even without me showing the card. I still had to pay something for the hospital bed, the CD with X-rays and the crutches. But this was all tuppence, a bit over 100 €, and later reimbursed.

So yes, @PROJECT_MANAGER is right, do not forget your EHIC and make sure you carry it on you when skiing too. However, I would like to add that if you do forget it, make sure that you let whoever is treating you know that you are covered. It might be verified by a phone call or email or maybe they may take your word for it long enough for your travelling partner to fetch it from your hotel.
snow report
Forget it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972
snow report
Mine lives with my lift pass and travel Insurance card. I also have Carte Niege.
snow conditions
My daughter was taken ill in Germany last month while her EHIC was at home and she has managed to get it payed through that. The hospital just asked if she had one, when she said not with her they told her they would post an invoice to her and she just needed to return it with her EHIC details written on it. That is all sorted now.
latest report
A No-deal Brexit would mean EHIC will be no use for UK residents after March 29:

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/healthcare-when-travelling-abroad/travelling-in-the-european-economic-area-eea-and-switzerland/
snow report
The link doesn't actually say that. It says EHIC will be valid up to 29 March, and if we leave without a deal "your access to healthcare ... is likely to change". Quite how it might change is probably completely undefined at this stage.
latest report
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
... Passports (photos) Visas (photos) ... Hotel rooms, etc etc etc all on my phone.

Encrypted, or you're increasing your attack surface.

Quote:
The link [says] if we leave without a deal "your access to healthcare ... is likely to change". Quite how it might change is probably completely undefined at this stage.

(1) The card gives some benefits. Not having the card would remove the benefits which the card gives.
(2) The phrase "no deal" is not equivocal: it means not having a deal.
Which bit of that is remotely not well defined?

In any case, the fact that you don't know precisely how bad shooting yourself in the foot is going to be doesn't mean it's a sensible thing to do.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy