Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

touring/piste ski gear help

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello!

I'm on the point of changing my whole gear and i'm looking for something on the "one ski quiver" spectrum. I will probably use 80% resort but on some days i will want to be able to slip on the skins and go uphill a bit.
For skis i was thinking: Solomon QST 95? 105?, Nordica Enforcer 100?
bindings: considering i'm mostly a resort skier i'm leaning towards frame bindings (duke, baron, salomon guardian) but am considering tech as well.
I'm in need of boot advice as well.

Current gear: Nordica FireArrow EDT PRO 84 / Atomic Hawkx 110
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skis: possibly Dynastar Cham 97 are another option? Or Black Crows Camox / Navis / Atris, depending on exactly what you want out of a single ski choice?

Bindings: Salomon Shift are probably your first port of call nowadays. After that I'd consider Fritschi Tecton, which is what I use. Very good on piste and not much of a compromise for touring. If you want to go frame, Fritschi Eagle or Freeride Pro are hard to beat.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice, after reading your message i've watched some videos about salomon shift and i'm convinced it's worth the extra buck.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ichim, I think if you're considering going touring, you need to go pin bindings. Or just get the pair of skis quiver killed, Or like you say, go Shift!!

As for skis, i've heard good things about the Elan Ripstick, not that i've skied them.
Blackcrows any of the freebirds. I love my Whitedot Rangers to, although I think if your skiing piste, you may want a little bit more camber.

Boots is very dependant on foot shape etc, so you best get fitted.
If not at least get heat treatable liners.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ichim,
Salomon QST 99 2019
Salomon Shift 100mm bindings and 100mm ski crampons
nordica strider 120 boots / technica Cochise 120 boots / Salomon Qst pro 120 boots / atomic hawk xtd touring boot . up in flex as freeirde boots will be a little softer
G3 alpinist + skins
G3 adjustable touring poles

the perfect all round set up which will do well in most conditions up to full day lift served touring as well as being a every day resort ski without too much comprise
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Dabber, really nice suggestions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@RobMcQ, Cham 97 has been out of production for 2 years. Fischer rangers are worth a look and the Salomon shift binding should be considered, but I hear they have a new model for next year which may iron out a few niggles.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RobMcQ, Cham 97 has been out of production for 2 years. Fischer rangers are worth a look and the Salomon shift binding should be considered, but I hear they have a new model for next year which may iron out a few niggles.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm an 80/20 lift/touring person and I've got BC Navis (normal not freebird) and Shifts. Perfect for me I'd say, the normal navis is 1.9kg so still light enough for day tours under 1000m ascent IMO.

I have alpine and AT boots (Salomon X Max 120 and Salomon MTN Lab 120, both use the same last) and just adjust the toe height and forward pressure a smidge when swapping between them (as advised on this forum, a very quick job with a screwdriver).

Salomon QSTs are a great choice though I think the Enforcer would be too heavy for touring.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Charliee, I have added Shifts to my Fischer Rangers. Very light set up for piste, reasonable I guess for day tours. I haven’t had a chance to tour with them yet....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Charliee, Oops! Meant Legend 96.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Charliee you mentioned a possibility of a revised shift binding for next year, can you elaborate on this? Jon at piste office did say the binding is unchanged for next season after visiting a trade show last week.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WASHOUT wrote:
@Charliee you mentioned a possibility of a revised shift binding for next year, can you elaborate on this? Jon at piste office did say the binding is unchanged for next season after visiting a trade show last week.

Shift is unchanged next season and there is no lower din version either (as rumoured).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
salomon confirmed to a good friend that would be minor changes - but I won't argue with @spyderjon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy