Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts from Zurich - Switzerland or Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - looking into options for long weekend away - Gatwick flights to Zurich look good - can anyone suggest good resorts , and even reasonably priced accomodiation ... catered chalets, hotel etc.
PS vegetarian, not bothered by apres scene, just plenty of skiing snowHead oh 2hrs xfer absolute limit
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
St Anton is good if you hire a car and road conditions are good then transfer will be about 2 hours.

Good train service but will be a little more than 2 hours.

Plenty of accommodation especially if you have a car and can be down the valley a bit. EG Zurs Sporthotel Enzian

It is where I would go.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flims/Laax are pretty close by and offers decent skiing.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a pretty similar thread up a few months ago...maybe of some help for you with quite a few tips. Link below:

Weekend Break from Zurich..

We plumped for Davos/Klosters in the end. Was there last weekend. Skied two unbelievable bluebird days around Parsenn and all the group was vey impressed. Recommend it, there's something for everyone. Tad expensive up on the mountain but nothing unreasonable. I'd say it felt very understated relative to its reputation. Transfer by train from Zurich Airport was 2h10m and dead easy.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you are happy driving a wide area can be reached in 2 hours from Zürich, from Grindelwald to St Anton. Switzerland is more expensive than Austria. In Austria the obvious choices would be either Montafon or Arlberg. Catered chalets are rare especially for weekends but almost all hotels do half board (veggie should not be an issue these days). In the Arlberg Stuben would be a good option if you are not bothered about apres, easy access from Zürich, in the middle of the ski area, though it is a small place so not so much accommodation.

Swiss options would include Grindelwald (scenery on a grand scale, skiing under the north face of the Eiger), Andermatt, Engleberg, Flims/Laax, Davos/Klosters plus a good number of smaller places.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andermatt, Engelberg, Flims/Laax, Davos/Klosters are all good and are also within 2h of Zürich by train, I'd also add Arosa/Lenzerheide to the list. None are particularly cheap though. If you want somewhere closer then Flumserberg is pretty good and only an hour from Zürich by train. The smaller resorts are cheaper for everything - lift pass, accomodation, meals etc.

There's quite a nice summary of resorts relative to distance from Zürich here:
http://www.swisswintersports.co.uk/zurich.php

If you are happy to hire a car then you could get to Damüls in Austria in 2 hours - that's a great ski area, and a lot cheaper than Swiss resorts of a similiar size. No catered chalets but lots of good value half board hotels that are flexible on changeover days.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flims/Laax +1, well connected good sized ski area, mostly red cruising. Popular with boarders. Apres ski very quiet when there. Train from Zurich via Chur. I not sure about reasonably priced though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
simonx wrote:
reasonably priced accomodiation ... 2hrs xfer absolute limit

You'll need to head to Austria to get better prices thanks to the CHF rate.

2 hours might just get you to the Arlberg, but Montafon is a lot closer - I'd go there (https://www.montafon.at/en). There are a few villages to choose from, each with their own area. I've not skied there (yet) but I gather some areas are connected and there are buses, but all in all I think renting a car in Zurich would be best both for transfer and getting around when you're there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Engelberg would be my weekend venue of choice; easy to get to by car or train, loads of reasonably priced hotels, not as expensive as many Swiss resorts. Weekend queues for main lift access, though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy