Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where for powder?

Poster: A snowHead
We've got up to 10 days from this week for a ski trip. Austria seems like the obvious choice but where for tree-skiing and accessible runs between pistes?

The original plan was to visit resorts along the Aosta valley, but snow conditions aren't as good. We were going to take a camper van, but Austria seems to be difficult for stopping outside campsites. So we'd probably be looking for a cheapish apartment.

Any suggestions welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pyrenees, 1.5 meters expected at Bareges over the next 24 hours.
Only bummer is the roads will be closed.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jrussell88, if you want powder, you need to look at where it is currently snowing or about to snow. In Tirol, it hasn’t snowed for over a week, so while the mountains are in good shape and the piste skiing is excellent, you are not going to find powder between the pistes, or really anywhere that is easily accessible from a lift. If you are prepared to hike, you might do better, but it’s probably worth getting a guide.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are currently in our motorhome at La Thuile but will be moving over the weekend when friends leave. I'm currently keeping my eye on Prato Nevoso, we've shot down there in the van before to find powder that wasn't further north. There is a good camper sosta for about €20 but some vans park in the village.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep an eye on https://wepowder.com/en Morris regularly puts up weather forecasts with suggestions of where the best powder can be found
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jrussell88, Japan, apparently.

BC or AK also useful, but for AK, 10 days a short window.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, it looks a bit dry at the moment.

As far as Austria goes, which resorts allow and have accessible tree-skiing?

Ski Amade - Bad Gastein and Dorfgastein?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet wrote:
@jrussell88, if you want powder, you need to look at where it is currently snowing or about to snow. In Tirol, it hasn’t snowed for over a week, so while the mountains are in good shape and the piste skiing is excellent, you are not going to find powder between the pistes, or really anywhere that is easily accessible from a lift. If you are prepared to hike, you might do better, but it’s probably worth getting a guide.

Same in Kitzbuhel and Ski Welt. All tracked out between pistes, but some superb snow if you tour for it. We went out with an instructor/guide yesterday, took the kiwest gondola most of the way up and skinned for about an hour. Absolutely spectacular snow all the way to the valley floor. But we had to work for it.

Incidentally, I have never had such a cheap day of guiding as I got from Kirchberg ski school:
https://kirchberg.skischoolshop.com/en/contact/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
munich_irish wrote:
Keep an eye on https://wepowder.com/en Morris regularly puts up weather forecasts with suggestions of where the best powder can be found

Woosh... that's the sound of 150cm of fresh powder in the Pyrenees going completely over the dodgy Dutchman's head.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Europe really isn't the best of suggestions for predictable powder.

Go later in the season and look for corn.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Utah is looking pretty good at the moment, ticks all your boxes snowHead
Although they actually closed Alta and Snowbird Monday due to too much powder Shocked 5 inches an hour falling Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We are in Niseko at the moment, really good powder conditions, and an easy hour,trip to Japan from phuket.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jrussell88,
Quote:
All tracked out between pistes, but some superb snow if you tour for it

Just had some sublime, mainly untracked powder in the Maria Alm area of Ski Amade, over 8 days since the big snow fall.
Used the "Bergfex Tour" app to find some suitable freeride routes, so took about 40 minutes of gentle climbing (no skins required) to find this route which looked like a dozen or so people have skid...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3348402&highlight=mariaalm#3348402
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm in the Haute Savoie atm so Salzburgerland maybe Ski Amade looks appealing, especially given the outlook for next week.

I'll post a more specific question about Ski Amade.
ski holidays
@jrussell88, why go East when the fresh snow will be in the West. Cold temps too which brings all the lower (and cheaper?) resorts into play. From Tuesday onwards you should also get some sunshine. Could be epic
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
In Tirol, it hasn’t snowed for over a week, so while the mountains are in good shape and the piste skiing is excellent, you are not going to find powder between the pistes, or really anywhere that is easily accessible from a lift

Those could only be the words of someone who hasn't been in Sölden this week. snowHead
latest report
@Harrison the Rabbit, well, y'know, the only mountain I've seen this week was of the washing left last weekend NehNeh

Not to worry, it should snow overnight and I'll be out in the morning Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy