Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

child with ruptured eardrums

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Very excited to be off to Austria this weekend, woop woop! BUT, Junior (5yo) has only gone and ruptured both his eardrums. We've all been a bit snotty, so presumed virus, but he has been hit hard and now on antibiotics for any secondary infections.

So, has anyone ever taken young children on a plane in this state? And any likely problems living at altitude for a week (1900m in obergurgl)? Presume it may also affect his balance if middle ear is inflamed?

Any experiences much appreciated, not sure if this would be sufficient grounds to cancel on insurance Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
does this help? https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/travel-health/is-it-safe-to-fly-with-a-perforated-eardrum/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As a person with long suffering ear issues (from a very young age to now @ thirty eight) I can confirm will be fine from an air pressure point of view.

As per the link holidayloverxx posted, I have found at times it has been easier. Having had a myringoplasty, mastoidectomy, tymnoplasty and ossiculaplasty over the years (basically total ear reconstruction) - I still fly etc and have no issues.

My tip as many will know if their ears are uncomfortable - sweets to suck on, swallow water (as the swallowing actually relieves any built up air pressure better). Plus gently rub behind the ears if sore.

Hope they have a good flight, enjoy the holiday and distract them with lots of fun in the snow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi , it's s difficult one because he's so little.
One of mine used to always suffer.
Take with you some Karvol/ olibas oil drops.
When you board, tell the attendant about it , and ask for a drop of warm water in a cup . Some airlines have this onboard but l always take my own.
Put in the drops and get him to inhale the vapour. Plenty of surprise [url=][/url]distractions like sticker packs. Lolly pops etc...
Now she keeps her ear plugs in all the time , which helps with the pressure. She puts them in for take off and doesn't take them out til we land. Not sure whether this actually is just phycological?. This may be more difficult for a 5 year old.
Only you know your child, but as kids do ... he'll probably be back to his bouncy self in a few days when his meds have kicked in. You'll be stressed to hell of course!
Your GP / practice nurse may help with advice too.
Its s fairly short flight so im sure he'll recover quite quickly.
Have a good holiday Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have no idea, but as a general point on flying definitely have a chupa chup lolly or two for take off and more importantly landing. I’m always amazed on flights how many people don’t have anything ready for their kids who then sit and sob in pain. I’ve started packing spares.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The main worry with a ruptured ear drum is infection and I'm sure your child has been put on suitable medication to protect against this.

I ruptured one of mine snorkeling and felt no Ill affects flying home from the holiday.

I'm a retired pilot and since then have taught a bit about barotrauma with reference to aviation and my feeling is that you would be fine with your child as the aircraft is pressurised to an altitude that is relatively low. BUT I would suggest that you consult your GP and the airline
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, thanks for the link. And thanks others for the comments.

All seems logical Re flying so presumably being up a mountain also fine. Parental flapping placated!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy