Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best late season skiing in N America and comparison with Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Contemplating a trip to North America in April 2020 (say 4-18th). I've searched on here and recommendations include Whistler, Breckenridge, Telluride - unsurprising really high or Northerly. All appear to have closing dates in late April. Reason for April is the opportunity to take the kids for two weeks. I get a bit of extra holiday in 2020 and neither child has GCSEs or A levels that year.

I guess I have two questions:

1. any other good options?

2. Is it worth it? Are conditions likely to be better / as good as, say Tignes, Val Thorens, Grand Montets. I appreciate there are other reasons to go to North America but I'd want the snow to be at least as good.

I can get air miles flights to Seattle and plan A would be drive to Mount Baker for a day or two then on to Whistler including one day for me and the kids with Whistler Heli.

I did consider Japan but looks like the main resorts shut early April.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Consider Banff? We’ve been there the last three years early April and it’s been great. First year snow poor by local standards but still great for us - everything open. Last two years several powder days.

Sunshine doesn’t close till end May and Lake Louise early May
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TommyJ,
yep - that makes sense too, thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Telluride also typically closes down, at least partly, before April 10 so that rules it out.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have been to Breckenridge for a week at February half term on 4 different occasions. My family absolutely loved it (we skied Tignes / Val D'Isere when the kids were younger). If this year is anything to go by, 4-18th April should be great. Breck have just announced that they are extending the season this year from the originally announced 21st April to Memorial Day (27th May). Full story is here:- http://blog.breckenridge.com/2019/01/18/breck-2018-19-season-extended/

We have always done DIY with BA flights to Denver, 4x4 hire car and a very easy drive up the I70 to Breck. We stayed at the Beaver Run Resort. Not the height of luxury but you literally walk out the boot room onto the slopes. And the hot tubs there are awesome.

p.s. we went to Banff for a change last year. It was also great.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Expect awesome snow high up in Whistler. Runs to the resort will probably be open but they won't be pleasant. Lower mountain runs will probably vary from day to day and you can expect periodic rain below mid-mountain.

If you're unlucky, it may rain up to mid mountain and be too windy for the lifts to open higher up. But that's spring skiing for you. Wherever you are, you can count yourself lucky to have no disruption in Easter. Go low and it may rain. Go high and the wind gets you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’ve never had any disruption at Easter at Banff except the one year when the ski out was a bit slushy by afternoon (still fun!).
No wind or lift closures or rain.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mammoth, combine with a few days in Death Valley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks everyone - v useful
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mt Bachelor in Oregon.
Summit County hills including ABasin as already mentioned.
Whistler alpine area as already mentioned.
The most bankable would surely be Banff areas.
Check out bestsnow.net for best spring skiing.
http://bestsnow.net/fam_ski.htm
Look for the spring 4 or 5’s.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1. Aspen.
2. Big Sky.
3. Alta.
4. Mammoth.

Plenty options.

Western US snow is in a whole different league to European snow.

Much creamier and fluffier and nicer to ride.

Skip Whistler. Too rainy.

Get it bookedup, son.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We did a flight out to LA to visit friends, then drove up to Mammoth, back via Death Valley and Santa Barbara in April a few years ago. It was a poor snow year by Mammoth standards, but dumped it down the night we arrived, so we were skiing fresh powder. Great skiing for us (intermediates) and our children who were then 13/14. Stayed in a very spacious ski in apartment, with hot tub, at base of lifts (think Eagle Lodge, at one end of the ski area), could ski from one end of the area to the other. Points to bear in mind - food on the mountain variable (not a patch on Austria, Italy etc). Not all US chairlifts have bars, and even if they do, most people don't use them (wasnt a problem for us, but it might be for some people). Jet lag - not a problem going out, just means you are up early and ready to catch the first lift!

All in all made for a great trip. Snow conditions looking good in Mammoth currently...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Related to this subject.
Could anyone that has skied early April in both the high and north facing resorts of France/Switzerland (example Tignes, Val Thorens) and the resorts in North America that are considered good for spring snow (Banff, Whistler alpine, Snowbird) give me an idea of what typical snow quality is like as a comparison? I've skied Canada and US in that time and had fantastic conditions with winter snow still in the right spots. Can Europe offer the same?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jedster wrote:
Contemplating a trip to North America in April 2020 (say 4-18th). I've searched on here and recommendations include Whistler, Breckenridge, Telluride - unsurprising really high or Northerly. All appear to have closing dates in late April. Reason for April is the opportunity to take the kids for two weeks. I get a bit of extra holiday in 2020 and neither child has GCSEs or A levels that year.

I guess I have two questions:

1. any other good options?

2. Is it worth it? Are conditions likely to be better / as good as, say Tignes, Val Thorens, Grand Montets. I appreciate there are other reasons to go to North America but I'd want the snow to be at least as good.

I can get air miles flights to Seattle and plan A would be drive to Mount Baker for a day or two then on to Whistler including one day for me and the kids with Whistler Heli.

I did consider Japan but looks like the main resorts shut early April.

Jeez, I haven't worked out where to go next week, never mind that far ahead! I don't know, find someone who can predict snowfall accurately that far in advance, and take their advice? Last season towards the end of April Terrace BC was excellent, as was Banff, Revelstoke, Golden, Sun Peaks and Blue River but then the whole of BC had winter conditions last season then. Who knows what they'll get this year or next?

You can't really compare snow in the future, only in the past.

(1) If you have two weeks and kids to deal with, I don't really know. Colorado tends to be mellow, which may be what you want, but some of those places are small. Whistler isn't small but that's fairly late, although as stated last year would have been great. You may want to consider resorts adjacent to other interesting things if you have two weeks.

(2) I don't understand the question. Check the conditions, then buy the tickets, but if you can't do that, then don't look at the conditions and just get on with it.

SEA and then Baker etc sounds like a good plan. If you have transport then you can also spend a little time in Vancouver, where the local hills will probably be shut, then drive where the conditions are best - North or West depending. Or both.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've skied Mammoth, Tahoe, Whistler, Lake Louise as well as the usual suspects in Europe in Late April / Early May.

Really there isn't a lot of difference. Spring skiing is spring skiing. I've had powder days at LL and Mammoth or rather powder mornings because at that time of year doesn't take long for the snow to go off. Anywhere that aims to be open to 4 July is probably a solid bet.
snow report
Jesdter............First, you can never predict how conditions will be. Best to sift through a number of regions that would offer you and your family a "best" OVERALL and most memorable experience, BOTH on and off, at and away from wherever you finally decide (which CAN be well had - reserved in late February), that in your shared opinion you'll fly away from knowing you could not have made, "a better choice..........." I'd hazard numerous areas to have more than reliable, enjoyable skiing conditions as you will follow how the season is breaking out one year from now. Do not overlook the opportunity that a given gateway city or two has to offer, also.......... Cuisine, vistas, museum, etc.

Many great areas abound within NorAm, be same Canadian or American.

When you distillate your final candidates weigh and balance all the pragmatic/objective logistics, the plusses of each, maximizing time, convey, environment, accomodations, costs. It's not a beauty contest, but you'll select a winner.
latest report
sbooker wrote:
Related to this subject.
Could anyone that has skied early April in both the high and north facing resorts of France/Switzerland (example Tignes, Val Thorens) and the resorts in North America that are considered good for spring snow (Banff, Whistler alpine, Snowbird) give me an idea of what typical snow quality is like as a comparison? I've skied Canada and US in that time and had fantastic conditions with winter snow still in the right spots. Can Europe offer the same?

I can compare several early April trips to Val d'Isere (including extensive off-piste) with one in Whistler, but I wouldn't pretend this is a statistically significant sample.

Overall, I'd say that snow conditions were similar - an abundance of perfect powder up high with spring conditions predominating when moving down the mountain. Runs to resort have always been skiable but often unpleasant at the wrong time of day with morning ice and afternoon slush. I found Whistler to be rather warmer at resort level than Val, and I suspect that's common due to the low altitude of the Whistler village.

In all cases we have lost 1-2 days skiing due to weather. High resorts are very prone to wind closure, especially above the tree line, and, when a weather system moves in, it's often associated with a rise in temperature and therefore rain below the tree line. I don't ski in the rain - I'm too much of a softy - so if the only open runs are being rained upon, I go home. Others may be made of sterner stuff than me.

On the days that the high lifts were open, both resorts were a true joy. We had far more powder in Whistler than we've ever seen in Val, but we've had plenty of powder in Val, too. On the other hand and true to reputation, bluebird days have been much more common in Val than Whistler.

Although the lower runs tend to be poor in both resorts at that time of year, both places are plenty large enough for that to not really matter. We had 8 days in Whistler and only spent 1/2 day on Whistler mountain itself - our local hill was Blackcomb and it had more than enough skiing to keep us happy doing laps of some of the high mountain bowls, the upper gladed runs and the extensive mogul fields. Similarly, the Espace Killy is so vast that you never feel restricted even if you avoid the lower runs.

So take your pick: both are good choices. It largely depends on whether you prefer the European or the North American experience. I love both and like to ring the changes between continents.
ski holidays
@jedster, on the grounds that I think you know what you are doing, hmmm,...

That time of your, IME, i think you want good weather and ideally cold overnights for lovely breakfasts, crispy mornings and maybe 2 hours if lucky of good spring snow.

So, umm, anywhere?!

If I had my druthers, I’druther go BC, WY or UT if they are open, just fir a giggle?

Late season FR has been very dull of late, although obviously, if you aren’t here it will be splendid.
ski holidays
My only thought is Colorado (Breck, Keystone(?)) are high for NA so better chance of alpine snow??

But it's a whole different experience to Europe, so even if the snow is similiar it's worth trying it out IMHO!
snow report
I wrote two trip reports for Banff in “early “ Easter holidays, 2018 and I think 2017, both the last days of March. The earlier year the locals were complaining there was too little snow, last year it was too much! I did observe that I used the jet lag to wake up early and get first tracks, then leave Lake Louise by the 1530 bus so I wasn’t in the sticky snow at the bottom of the hill after lunch. Sunshine Village is a bit better snow quality.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy