Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Hawx Ultra 120 soften flex. Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have the boots in the title and atomic say they can up and down by 10 flex points. When I had them custom moulded in Ellis b the guy said I could drill the top hole put the bolt in and take the bottom bolt out and they would be a 110. I would then plug the empty hole.

Just rung up and the member of staff I spoke to said the above isn’t correct and I could take out the one bolt that is currently in there but would lose rebound (why?) and the forward lean function (this makes sense). He said atomic said the flex can’t be softened (their website say differently but doesn’t explain how).

We both agree that having both bolts in will take it to a 130.

Can anyone definitively answer this conundrum?

Many thanks,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where do Atomic say they can up/down by 10 flex points as I've not seen anything on their website/advertising indicating that?

Anyway Colin at Solutions4Feet (CEM)is the resident Atomic boot guru on the forum so I'm sure he'll be along soon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My friend had some atomic hawx prime 120 and thought they where a little stiff after 2 days skiing. When he took them to a shop on the resort they said that drilling an extra bolt will stiffen them and the only way to reduce the flex was to trim some plastic away from the ankle area. They did this and it made quite a difference.

Not sure if the prime are the same as the ultra though
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that you still keep the bottom bolt, but shift the doings up further, see here https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-ski-boots/atomic-hawx-ultra-120

CEM will hopefully be along at some point to properly put the matter to bed, but I guess the bigger question is do you need to reduce flex?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
Where do Atomic say they can up/down by 10 flex points as I've not seen anything on their website/advertising indicating that?

They say all over that it can be adjusted by +/-10 flex points for "perfect customisation", or some such.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I reckon you can only have the forward lean with the 120 and 130 stiffness, ie one or 2 bolts. For 110 stiffness you have no bolt, no thingy, and therefore no extra forward lean. Could be wrong though...... Bit of mean marketing if I am right as @SnoodlesMcFlude said, they seem to shout about it on the website.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks so much. This is the best website on the planet.

Yes I need to reduce, I think you might be right and that I do no bolts. But Ellis b guy said this was bad but got the vibe that he didn’t really know.

@SnoodlesMcFlude I looked at that link but wasn’t sure what you meant.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Fourstar, scroll down to the bit that says "Stance", there's a diagram that shows the way the tilt can change but also seems to suggest the bit at the back can be moved up and down.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Fourstar, scroll down to the bit that says "Stance", there's a diagram that shows the way the tilt can change but also seems to suggest the bit at the back can be moved up and down.

Yes I’m pretty sure that’s just the forward lean, but I stand to be corrected.

I’ve taken out the bolt and I can see what the guy is saying about rebound. It’s leading me toward the first person I spoke to which was drill the top, bolt in the top, and no bolt in bottom. But hopefully the atomic guru will come and answer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Possibly easier to just eat more pies
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@CEM hi Colin, just wondered if you knew?

Also just seen how good you boot shop is, only round the corner so I’ll be on my way for new liners.

Many thanks,

Andy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Fourstar, ok the +/- 10 is dependent on model, on the 110/120 model you can increase by 10 points , on the 130 model you can decrease by 10 points

adding a bolt to to two softer flexes makes it stiffer, removing it on the 130 makes it softer

with the construction of the Ultra being a thin wall shell it is not possible to cut the saddle in the shell which is how we would permanently soften a traditional shell, however with the thin wall there are structural elements in the shell which are where you would normally cut so it is not possible..... we have managed to soften an ultra a little by milling a slot in the back of the clog from the top to the hole where you would put the upper bolt, this is by no means a good solution but it will soften the boot a little
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM wrote:
@Fourstar, ok the +/- 10 is dependent on model, on the 110/120 model you can increase by 10 points , on the 130 model you can decrease by 10 points

adding a bolt to to two softer flexes makes it stiffer, removing it on the 130 makes it softer

with the construction of the Ultra being a thin wall shell it is not possible to cut the saddle in the shell which is how we would permanently soften a traditional shell, however with the thin wall there are structural elements in the shell which are where you would normally cut so it is not possible..... we have managed to soften an ultra a little by milling a slot in the back of the clog from the top to the hole where you would put the upper bolt, this is by no means a good solution but it will soften the boot a little

Thanks very much, Colin. That’s really clear unlike atomic’s slightly misleading marketing.

I’m finding them so much more flexable when in the bindings so think they are a good choice but will see. Finally found a good shell so keen to get an upgraded moulded liner so see you soon...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy