Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another edge sharpening question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Briefly, my pocket edge tuner is only 88 or 89°, fine for mrs's skis, but my Atomics are 87° as far as I can see on the web.
What's worse, leaving them bluntish, or changing the angle to 88° with a light file? It is hard out here in Italy at mo, with no chance of shop service. Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your pocket edge tuner won't change the angle but I would think that some light passes would at least get rid of rock hits and burrs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret wrote:
Your pocket edge tuner won't change the angle but I would think that some light passes would at least get rid of rock hits and burrs.

Thanks, it's a Kunzmann pocket combi, with a choice of 89 on one side, and 88 on the other for edges, and 1° base edge as well, so will surely change the oem edge angle of 87° for Atomic?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@cstreat, the pocket tool won't cut enough metal to completely change edge angle, you would have to do loads of passes with it and it isn't accurate enough to change the edge angle accurately imv.. give the edges a few passes to touch em up the edge will be improved and not a big deal to change the edge to 88. if you want to keep your pocket I would suggest getting a file and edge guide for 88 when home and or getting a shop tune and resetting edges to 88.

The pocket guides are for touching up not changing edge angle, you need a file and guide to do that accurately and effectively.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or just buy a 87 edge guide, clamp and a medium diamond file, easy to do a few passes each evening to keep the edge decent.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks, I did as advised
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cstreat wrote:
Briefly, my pocket edge tuner is only 88 or 89°, fine for mrs's skis, but my Atomics are 87° as far as I can see on the web.
What's worse, leaving them bluntish, or changing the angle to 88° with a light file? It is hard out here in Italy at mo, with no chance of shop service. Thanks

Are sure that the Atomics are 87 degrees? If they have been machine serviced at a ski shop, that could have changed the angle, as many shops pass all skis through at 88 degrees, regardless of make. Have you measured the angle?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
87 degrees is more common on slalom race skis - have you checked the list of manufacturers angles on thepisteoffice website?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Of the big brands Atomic, along with Fischer and Blizzard, use 87 degree side edge angles.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow, didn't realise any general "consumer" skis (sorry, don't know what else to call them!) had such angles from the factory. That's pretty aggressive.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy