Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So stressed and confused 26th Jan -2nd Feb!

Poster: A snowHead
Have been watching threads avidly especially those relating to 26th Jan to 2nd Feb, but have the goal posts changed in relation to where to go? Austria has lots of snow and almost anywhere is good skiing but really good value hard to find, (contradict me and give me evidence please) Seems France has had snow recently and more forecast midweek. So where to go?

Promised a family holiday when all were in employment and not restricted to school holidays. We are family of 6 (50's x2 20's x4) blues, reds ,blacks and between pistes for me and OH, off piste for the boys. Skiing is most important, (boys like travelling distances) also in order: accommodation, access to pistes, apres, catered as a preference but we have been looking at Austria and would be happy to self cater if there was a good cost benefit so that eating out several times would still keep us within a reasonable budget (OH is an event caterer and although we enjoy the social side of cooking in an apartment it's the bother of buying supplies which usually rest with her.

Nothing is booked as yet

We have never skiied Austria and so i am keen to try out and have been researching. Flights from Stansted seem ok to all resort airports except Innsbruck.

Just wondered whether the pendulum has swung back in favour of France? "off piste not deep enough in France" versus "slopes are quiet everybody's gone to Austria", "once in a decade opportunity in Austria".....help

Or has somebody got that little secret they care to share (PM me obviously!!!)

Thanks in anticipation
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You losing sleep over this? Hahahaha Smile

Keep it together, Goddamit! There's a ski trip needing sorted!

I'd say hold your nerve on Austria, especially if you've never been - France is France, and is great, it really is but it will still be there next year.

Go to the Crystal website, there's plenty of cheap deals there to Austria for 6 people leaving on the 26th. My brief thoughts on those available are listed below:

Mayerhofen - Never been, very famous, big area, good for young people.

Niederau - Been once. Small area, quiet, very good value hotels. Local area is small. Quiet at night. Short bus ride to the massive SkiWelt area (never skied it myself but will on Sunday). Buy the good VIP lift pass if you go.

Galtur - Been to the area (Ischgl is the main town up the road). Short bus to one of the best areas in Europe, excellent pistes. Off-piste is not for me but there is plenty of accessible stuff at Ischgl. Quite flash and brash, lively Apres. 6 seater taxis aplenty for when your all leathered, miss the last bus and need to get back to Galtur in time for dinner.

There's even an absolute stoater belter of a deal I've found for St Anton - ski mecca for the English Austrian aficionados - massive area, very famous. I will PM you.

If you are set on DIY, and, as your mane and location suggests, do indeed live in Pembrokeshire, Easy Jet fly from Bristol to Salzburg - my mate will be on that flight on Saturday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have a look at the zillertal region , amazing off piste options , we stayed in hockfugen , which was a quiet little satalite village with great access to the whole area and some very good off piste skiing , and mayerhofen only just a short trip out for something more lively
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If this is making you so stressed you must have a relatively easy life! You've got no child-related variables to factor in, which I find adds the biggest usual considerations to ski holidays. Wrt whether to go to France or Austria, I would say Austria any day, but particularly this year! France has got the massive areas but the vibe in Austria is just lovely whether you are in a quieter family resort or one of the big banging ski meccas.

1. First set your budget.
2. Then pick a resort. I have found a very arbitrary approach to this works as well as any great pondering.
3. Then decided on the accommodation type you want. Nearly all accommodation websites selling ski accommodation these days will tell you how far from the nearest chairlift you are.
4. Pick one and book it and get excited.

In recent years I've been to Zell am Ziller, the Skiwelt area and several times to the Zillertal Arena where we stayed in some lovely ski-in,ski-out accommodation in Konigsleiten. All my holidays in Austria have made me want to go back. Having said that, I've skied in France, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Andorra, Kazakhstan and Canada too where tbh the presence of friends/family, snow and alcohol have made them all awesome trips. Nothing to be stressed about!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No wonder you're stressed if thinking about hundreds of potential resorts. Look at what packages are available last minute (several threads on this with suggested links etc). That's likely to be the cheapest option at this stage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty much any Austrian resort in the Vorarlberg, Tirol or Salzburgerland is going to be a good place to visit right now.

From what you have said the Arlberg (St Anton or Lech) would seem ideal but plenty of other places too. Ischgl, the Zillertal, Serfaus / Fiss or Kitzbühel are other possible places. Practically all Austrian hotels will offer half board so it is easy to book a hotel (choose your resort and email the tourist office), flights into Zürich or Munich (Zürich is good for train connections, Munich less so but transfer by road to Kitzbühel and the Zillertal etc straight forward), if you can get flights into Innsbruck its better but not so easy to find.

If your get stressed by the thought of organising all this get a package
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flights to Salzburg from Bristol £178 plus bags - Easyjet
Flights to Salzburg from Stansted £52 Plus bags - Ryanair

Return transfer to Ski Amade resorts 45mins to 1hr transfer €50

A mass of great , well priced accommodation, say a nice 6 person apartment in e.g. Wagrain for £200 pp, or Flachau for a bit of Apres for the young uns

Drive to Stansted and that is holiday, excluding gear and lift passes for £300 pp in a fabulous ski area.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 21-01-19 10:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For some reason I still prefer France - probably my best holidays were there. You will be great in both in the main resorts. Just find the best deal
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gustavobs wrote:
For some reason I still prefer France - probably my best holidays were there. You will be great in both in the main resorts. Just find the best deal

avoid France next week, looks like we're facing a Snowmageddon event, you'll probably spend 2 days sitting in a bus in a car park in Albertville
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:

avoid France next week, looks like we're facing a Snowmageddon event, you'll probably spend 2 days sitting in a bus in a car park in Albertville

Really? Where is this snowmageddon in France you speak of forecast?

(Heading to 3V on Sunday)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sean1967, Very Happy Very Happy Yes I'm over thinking this! Thanks for Pm too.

@pandora,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pandora,
Quote:

If this is making you so stressed you must have a relatively easy life! You've got no child-related variables to factor in, which I find adds the biggest usual considerations to ski holidays.

Embarassed I find the opposite. as you and the family get older the more requirements they have! Maybe you've got to face that down the line!
Thanks for your help will be working on it later, keep them coming!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pembsflyer, My tactic is to say "This is the plan - you in or out? No moaning or organize it yourself"
Works a treat.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No, Girls' Big Weekend is always easier than the week with the kids. I'm with Frosty - I tell them the plan (ie where I want to go) and if they want to come, they do what I'm doing. I tell them how much the flights and accommodation are and what time to turn up at the airport. They are grownups so can sort out their own travel to the airport and their lift passes and ski hire once they get there. They take themselves to the restaurant and I don't have to worry about whether there is something on the menu they'll eat, nor do I have to figure out how to drop them off at ski school and pick them up. I don't need to worry about making sure they are dressed properly for the weather. As long as I point them at a bar they seem very happy. The only gripe I've ever had from them was that last year there were no hunky young male instructors with hip flasks full of schnapps to coax a bunch of 50-something year old women down the nursery slope. But their ski lessons are their problem. Kids I have to do Every Last Thing for, although you can get away with skiing like children yourself when you have a horde of kids with you (by skiing like kids I mean playing in the snowpark and not caring what you look like and doing all the little jumps at the sides of the piste.)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Do also look at the Crystal website for flights & transfer Bristol to Salzburg. Currently £190 return including bags, add on £45 for a ski bag and probably about £45 for your transfer depending on where you want to go. Good option if you want to DIY.
latest report
@davidof,
Quote:

Meteorfance is not forecasting anything beyond Quelques flocons in the Savoie until the 29th and forecastes that far ahead are not very reliable
Quote:

They take themselves to the restaurant and I don't have to worry about whether there is something on the menu they'll eat,

Not sure what you mean by this, but are you worried that the kids will actually eat the waiter
latest report
pandora wrote:

In recent years I've been to Zell am Ziller, the Skiwelt area and several times to the Zillertal Arena where we stayed in some lovely ski-in,ski-out accommodation in Konigsleiten. All my holidays in Austria have made me want to go back. Having said that, I've skied in France, Italy, Sweden, Finland, Andorra, Kazakhstan and Canada too

I've skiied in France and just want to get a rare family holiday right NehNeh NehNeh

Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@pembsflyer, My tactic is to say "This is the plan - you in or out? No moaning or organize it yourself"
Works a treat.

Agreed! doesn't stop you trying to get the right combo though!

Think we're nailing it down will let you know, if you're interested Puzzled
snow report
Quote:

Think we're nailing it down will let you know, if you're interested

Yes - of course. We like hearing about other people's ski holidays! snowHead
ski holidays
@pembsflyer, interested doesn't even start to cover it. Any input on experiences is hugely useful. Our requirements are all different.
Have a great one
snow report
@pembsflyer, if you end up in Galtur, pm me - we've just pulled the trigger on the Crystal offer there. We've not been there before, but I like Austria over France and Ischgl looks like a good area (and the food sounds like it should make up for the 15 min bus ride).
ski holidays
booked Flachau all flying from Stansted together, will trawl through threads to get best intel from snowheads many thanks
snow conditions
@pembsflyer, where in Flachau?
snow conditions
@pembsflyer, We fly out on 26th, stopping around the corner in Altenmarkt. We'll probs stick to Altenmarkt, Zauchensee, Kleinarl and Wagrain/Alpendorf, skiing through Flachau on the way Altenmarkt is a bit of a faff to get to, but the others are a must if you are in Flachau.
If you see a big, fat bloke, bright orangey red trousers, skiing like an absolute tool, with a number of lovely ladies in tow wink , then do say hello.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, @holidayloverxx, near bottom of Achter jet. Any particular info or essential tips?

I'll be in bright green top (not by choice, inherited from boys!) 3 likely lads in various none too over stated colours, you'll hear them before you see them! Two more lovely ladies!
snow conditions
@pembsflyer, well, my apartment is there - what do you want to know?
latest report
pembsflyer wrote:
booked Flachau all flying from Stansted together, will trawl through threads to get best intel from snowheads many thanks

Glad you found somewhere to book Very Happy

This was me a week ago. I’d decided to head to Austria instead of Serre Chevalier but there are so many resorts and accommodation was proving difficult to find in some of the places I wanted to go to. Plus, I’ve got this pesky thing called a budget to stick to.

Now I’ve booked ( decided on St Anton in the end) I feel much more relaxed about the whole thing and can’t wait to get there. I’m also planning on a day trip to Ischgl while there.
ski holidays
@Raven, was tempted by St Anton but Ski Amade gets such good write ups on Snowheads

@holidayloverxx, want to max out skiing days with a little planning, because we have two leaving midweek from Munich we decided to hire a van which may change your advice?
ski holidays
@pembsflyer, happy to help with specifics
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pembsflyer, I know nowt as much as the experts.... but I know what I like.
For those leaving midweek I'd drive up to Flachauwinkle one day (10 mins from the Achterjet) and ski there and over to Zauchensee. You may love it that much that you go again.
Another day to Shuttleberg, literally the other side of the road to Flachauwinkle, and ski there and over to Kleinarl.
A third day, up to the top at Flachau and head down to the GLink cable car, accross the valley and a nice day trip out to Alpendorf
Flachau is a great base but skiing wise is my least favourite of the areas. Lots of fast pistes, but not as varied and interesting as other local spots, and generally busier.
ski holidays
Raven wrote:

For starters the next 24 hours in the French Pyrenees is going to see roads shut down as snow-ma-geddon hits.

From tomorrow snow will be at valley floor levels in the alps until early February with probably the heaviest snow coming from Wedneday week.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
Raven wrote:

For starters the next 24 hours in the French Pyrenees is going to see roads shut down as snow-ma-geddon hits.

From tomorrow snow will be at valley floor levels in the alps until early February with probably the heaviest snow coming from Wedneday week.

An update:-

A16 out of Calais closed due to snow today
A28 and A29 in Northern France closed due to snow
A34 and A4 in North-East France difficult due to snow
A89 from Lyon to Bordeaux extremely difficult due to snow
A51 south of Grenoble difficult due to fresh snow.
Delays on the TGV system due to snow.
snow report
@pembsflyer, The beauty of the Flachau area is that the access roads are motorways and the skiing is virtually all tree lined.
latest report
Anything I need to know about driving from Saltsburg to Flachau or just follow google maps?
Also Munich as midweek pair have to fly back for onward travel timings.
Motorway toll?
snow report
@pembsflyer, Check with car hire company - May have to pay extra if taking van out of Austria. Any reduced speed limits then stick to the limit. Last 2 trips I got a speeding fine for each.
Follow google maps, absolute doddle, cant speak for Munich.
snow conditions
@pembsflyer, I have just noticed that a number of hire car companies charge you extra if you are taking the car out of the country others don’t.

So flying to Salzburg and driving to Flachau looks easy but if you use Munich this may be an issue.

I have been looking as I am flying to Salzburg in April and driving to Mayrhofen with the quickest route being via Germany.
ski holidays
@pembsflyer, drop them off at the train station. Easy transfer to MUC. Don’t waste valuable ski time sitting on the autobahn!
latest report
@pembsflyer, You will be asked at car hire if you are taking the car outside of Austria - you will say yes to make sure you are insured/coverd for breakdown. they then charge around €30 depending on who you have booked with. The car will already have the motorway vignette.

follow google maps - once you are on the A10 motorway its motorway all the way to junction 66 for Flachau (direction Villach)

I would second putting your friends on the train at radstadt, or maybe flixbus but they would have to get the train from munich to the airport as there are no bookings next week direct (it seems). Depending on the time of the flight of course. The train will be take about 4 hours but you are looking at a 6 hour round trip by car by the time you drop them off and allow for traffic
latest report
Thanks all. Ok so now calling into question whether van is worth the bother/money.....? Past threads suggest it's probably worth it.
Ref 6 day ski pass Multi-day Amade 266 euro or super ski card 283 euro?
snow report
Hi ... Any Austrian options for long weekend? snowHead
Ideally fly from Gatwick Thursday evening or early Friday, return late Monday for 4 days skiing, xfer < 2hrs
Never been before, as so easy to go to Geneva.
ski holidays
pembsflyer wrote:

Ref 6 day ski pass Multi-day Amade 266 euro or super ski card 283 euro?

Your €17 would be wasted.
We have also hired a van.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy