Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl or Val Thorens or something else in end april to early may

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, my wife and I are finishing our 2 week trip in Ischgl this week. We liked the area here and consider returning again to our lovely hosts who said will give us a better rate. Public transport was fine with no significant problems, but definitely having a car would have been more convenient.

We are considering to take advantage of the combo-wombo stack of holidays from 19 April till 6 May and go for a snowboarding trip again. The resort in Ischgl will be closing on the 1st of May. We might go for apres ski experience next time.

Would it make sense to come here again for 2 weeks during that period? We never travelled that late in the spring. Is it going to be snow-safe?
Would Val Thorens be a good alternative? The only reservation about Val Thorens is that, as I remember it, is quite flat in some areas and my beginner wife might be getting pissed off there Razz
Are there any other recommendations please? Maybe Ruka or Tignes?

Thanks in advance. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try the End of Season Bash in Val Thorens - runs from 20th to 27nd April, loads of Snowheads to ride with!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe Stubai, had a great time there early May a few years ago. Or Hintertux.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 11-10-21 22:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone for replies.
@anarski, that’s informative, cheers. Can’t remember if VT had any decent and inexpensive shops to buy food and cook at home, as last time I joined the UCPA. Budget wise, we found a studio under 700 EUR for 2 weeks for 2p in Tignes, VT is considerably more expensive.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@EARNEST, there is a Carrefour in the centre of VT, which is equivalent (in size at least) to a reasonable Tesco Metro. Not too horrendously expensive but it certainly isn't Lidl.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At least 50% of Espace Killy (and often more) will be open in the first week of May EARNEST - so enough to keep you occupied.

It wouldn't be anywhere near €700 for 2 weeks in our studio apartment (5 min from the lifts up to the Grande Motte glacier) - I will send you a pm.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, still considering and getting leave sorted out with work snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EARNEST wrote:
Thanks everyone for replies.
@anarski, that’s informative, cheers. Can’t remember if VT had any decent and inexpensive shops to buy food and cook at home, as last time I joined the UCPA. Budget wise, we found a studio under 700 EUR for 2 weeks for 2p in Tignes, VT is considerably more expensive.

I did a 30 second check on Air BNB and found a 1 bedroom (4 beds) apartment in VT for 2 weeks (20 apr-4 May), ski in/ski out, for £860 - so not that much more expensive. Lots of supermarkets in VT, obviously not as cheap as out of resort but there's enough competition to be reasonable. We always cook in our apartment.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
EARNEST wrote:
Hi, my wife and I are finishing our 2 week trip in Ischgl this week. We liked the area here and consider returning again to our lovely hosts who said will give us a better rate. Public transport was fine with no significant problems, but definitely having a car would have been more convenient.

We are considering to take advantage of the combo-wombo stack of holidays from 19 April till 6 May and go for a snowboarding trip again. The resort in Ischgl will be closing on the 1st of May. We might go for apres ski experience next time.

Would it make sense to come here again for 2 weeks during that period? We never travelled that late in the spring. Is it going to be snow-safe?
Would Val Thorens be a good alternative? The only reservation about Val Thorens is that, as I remember it, is quite flat in some areas and my beginner wife might be getting pissed off there Razz
Are there any other recommendations please? Maybe Ruka or Tignes?

Thanks in advance. snowHead

There are very few flat sections in Ischgl - unlike some resorts. Just come back and rarely saw boarders struggling (apart from the lower part of the home runs).

Great skiing after last Monday wasn't it!?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@buchanan101, that powder was sick snowHead Very Happy

@Handy Turnip, thanks, agreed that the cost is manageable. It's more about the snow conditions in the area and snowboarding during that period.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@EARNEST, agreed that you have to make sure that the ski area and runs suit what you want from the area and for your holiday.

I was in VT on the 30th April last year and the pistes were in fantastic condition if that helps.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@EARNEST, there will be some snowboarders in VT from 20-27th April - check out the End Of Season Bash for details. @robinagogo and @jjams82 are boarders, there may be others.

As am I, but I'll be in VT the week earlier for the Families bash, with my snowboarder brother (and our respective skier daughters). I learnt to ride in VT and have been there the for the last couple of years. Excepting the run back into the village from the Knife & Fork, I don't remember too many flat bits. I've no experience of Ischgl to compare, but I've no complaints with VT.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy