Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wolves in ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Some snowheads might have seen the video shot in Meribel last week of wolves just outside a chalet. We look into the increase in number of wolves in ski resorts in more detail in E28 of The Ski Podcast (29min in, but feel free to listen to the whole pod!)

http://theskipodcast.com/podcast/episode-28-wolves-in-the-alps-how-cows-prevent-avalanches-ski-sunday-returns/

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Moved this to 'The Piste' for you.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
19th Jan v Leicester

11th Fev v Newcastle

Any bar with Sky should have it
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, they are playing Shrewsbury in the FA cup 4th round on 26th. Could be a good cup game.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There was a very cool nature programme on the box during the past week looking at Wolves in the Alps.

It tracked the migration of a pregnant bitch from her pack, which she left after poignantly mourning the loss of her Alpha male mate. She guided her new litter approx 1000km around the Alps (even through towns at night) until finally reaching & settling in a nature reserve in the Italian Alps iirc.

Great show, if you like these sort of things (which both myself and especially my dog do Smile)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@horgand, What channel was that on? Sounds interesting,
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thecramps Got it :

'snow Wolf: a winter's tale'

https://www.bustle.com/p/is-snow-wolf-a-winters-tale-based-on-a-true-story-this-alpha-she-wolfs-journey-is-dramatised-15568284

Enjoy!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 17-01-19 18:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horgand wrote:
@thecramps I'd be guessing as it was very late but guessing bbc2, ch4 or Itv, outside chance of bbc4....

So that's narrowed it for you!!?

It was The Snow Wolf, shown on BBC on 27th December. It's available on iPlayer for a further 14 days: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bwqdbg/the-snow-wolf-a-winters-tale Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@horgand, @Alastair Pink, Thanks both. I'll watch that later.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I shall watch that, thank you for bringing to our attention.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just checked out that wolf film, but sadly it's not a documentary, it's a dramatized story using habituated animals and animatronics.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thecramps wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, they are playing Shrewsbury in the FA cup 4th round on 26th. Could be a good cup game.

Essential viewing in my house Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ElDiablo, I am guessing you are a Shrew. Had a great day and night out there with my beloved Stockport County back in the day. We lost, but what a lovely town and night out we had.

Anyway, more thread drift. Sorry. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thecramps, wrong! I'm a Wolf,

- but yes you are correct it's a lovely town (as is the county of Shropshire) with some great pubs, great food and lovely beer.
latest report
@thecramps, Bit more thread drift for you, people from Shrewsbury are not called shrews but Salopians, that's because the olde name for the area was Salop. This was dropped by most officialdom when we joined the eu because they found out that salop means slut in french and they wanted Shrewsbury to have a good profile in europe rolling eyes Strange but true Laughing
snow conditions
skitow wrote:
@thecramps, Bit more thread drift for you, people from Shrewsbury are not called shrews but Salopians, that's because the olde name for the area was Salop. This was dropped by most officialdom when we joined the eu because they found out that salop means slut in french and they wanted Shrewsbury to have a good profile in europe rolling eyes Strange but true Laughing

Salopians for Shropshire in general rather than Shrewsbury in particular. The Shrews is the one of the nicknames for the football team.
ski holidays
Fair enough, I did genuinely think that Salop referred to the area just around Shrewsbury rather than the whole of Shropshire. it's just I was living there when there was all this kerfuffle about Salop meaning all sorts of things and councillors getting in a panic etc. rolling eyes That was when the shrews used to play at the Gay Meadow Laughing
latest report
@ElDiablo, Wow, aren't you basically crapping it? If you win, every one say's "so what", but if you draw or lose, you lose, classic FA cup dilemma.
snow report
@thecramps, plus one - as someone who has a bit of an interest in this subject, and has posted on here a few times before about it this prior to this podcast, I was cynically dismayed about the BBC docu, which I tend to be with many of the other BBC docus, i.e get amazing footage, then edit it down and narrate a kids story out of the final product, or drag David Attenborough out, stick him in a studio to do his bit...............

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3326958

https://stylealtitude.com/patou-sheep-dog-threat-walkers-french-alps.html
ski holidays
Been loads of reports of wolves across the French Alps this season.

They are def on the rise.
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@thecramps, plus one - as someone who has a bit of an interest in this subject, and has posted on here a few times before about it this prior to this podcast, I was cynically dismayed about the BBC docu, which I tend to be with many of the other BBC docus, i.e get amazing footage, then edit it down and narrate a kids story out of the final product, or drag David Attenborough out, stick him in a studio to do his bit...............

But in this case it seems to have feck all to do with the BBC . It's a French production that doesn't seem to pretend to be gritty unedited footage of wild animals in their natural environment. The problem with the latter of course is that it is really easy to miss key moments and hard to objectively interpret everything which happens. Hence an anthromorphic "story" is hung on productions like Dynasties (which are stil mindblowing for the photography alone)
snow report
We had Foxes in Evain this summer....
https://www.lcfc.com/news/785427/leicesters-final-full-day-in-france

and Southampton
https://southamptonfc.com/news/2018-07-23/video-southampton-first-training-session-evian

and Liverpool
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/310176-photos-pictures-liverpool-evian-france-training-camp-gallery

and Fulham played on my rugby ground
https://www.fulhamfc.com/first-team/2018_2019/friendly/fenerbahce
latest report
Definitely wolves in Shropshire :-

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/local-hubs/south-shropshire/bishops-castle/2019/01/18/shropshire-wolf-sanctuary-gets-go-ahead-to-expand/
snow report
There are wolfs all over the European continent. Wife saw on from the old Alba gondola some years ago. Shocked Toofy Grin Madeye-Smiley

http://skiing-italy-dolomites.blogspot.com/2009/10/wolf-returns-to-dolomites.html Toofy Grin
ski holidays
That BBC programme was what prompted our chat in the podcast. There's a link on the page to a pic of a wolf pack of 13 seen last year...

www.theskipodcast.com
ski holidays
On the cross country course outside Argentiere near Chamonix this morning definitely felt Wolfy! I was glad I'd sharpened my poles. But it did make me wonder/quiver what would happen if a pack of wolves came running round the corner. My guess would be a pack of wolves encountering any one man it would be good night Vienna. It was a full moon last night I think but no howling, well just me. Very Happy
snow report
@oneglove, despite the old stories it is very rare for wolves to attack humans and try to avoid them where possible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rabbie, Yes but if a pack came across a person by chance, especially if they were hungry. Then the hunt and prey mentality would kick in. I'm all for wildlife in a zoo where it belongs. wink But seriously my night time woody walks are more sombre now unless I've had a few then would take them all on.
snow report
Cross country skiing at Pont in the Aosta Valley. Beautiful day, no one else skiing,

our only company was a fox and half a dozen chamois.
snow report
@oneglove, remember rule 5 Toofy Grin Very Happy Is Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Reading into reports of fatalities by grey wolf are quite an eye opener! I also saw some were spotted recently above Argentiere in the woods! Our shared stomping ground. Most non rapid attacks the alpha wolf will bite first to access potential victims vulnerability then given the green light the whole pack will pile in. It does not bode well to surprise wolves either that's their job.
latest report
Wolf hysteria is as old as the hills.

Wolf attacks in Europe are almost nonexistent.

Around 10 people were killed by wolf attacks in Russia and Europe between 1950 and 2018.

Compared with roughly 1,000 people killed by pet or feral dogs.

Little Rocky is 100 times more deadly than a wolf.
snow report
Yup, some worry so much about the almost nonexistant threat from wolves (mostly to children or very small adults) while there were 50 road deaths per million inhabitants in the EU in 2017 which we all seem to deal with very well.

Although there were a couple of sheep killed by a wolf or two passing through the area about 1km behind our house. It would have been amazing to have spotted one.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 24-01-19 8:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A pretty good summary...

https://mobil.wwf.de/fileadmin/fm-wwf/Publikationen-PDF/2002.Review.wolf.attacks.pdf
latest report
Scarpa, the "summary" is about 50 pages of mollycoddling. Trying to reassure people in wolf zones that your more likely to meet your maker in the form of a flying tortilla or whatever. How do you know the wolves were passing through? Just say you knew there was a pack living in the woods above, would you alone go find them or they find you at night?
snow report
Came across a group of people in a forest on the way to a pub a few years ago that were exercising some wolves. They were from the UK Wolf Conservation Trust located near Newbury. From a distance they looked like Alsatians but up close we realised what they were. My wife thought their eyes were weird. Good job we didn’t have ‘Daniel the Spaniel’ back then or he might have been lunch. Don't think I would like to meet a wild one though.
snow report
@oneglove, They are generally very timid. The one (or couple) passing through made a series of at least 5 seperate sheep kills in a line of locations across the area. DNA confirmed the same individual, it was tracked for several weeks across about 150km I believe.

I'd be very happy with wolves around; it's not mollycoddling when the history of confirmed attack figures back it up. Would be great for some long range photography. Wolf attacks are extremely rare. A little common sense is all that is needed. If travelling alone carry a pepper spray, if I was really worried I'd carry my rifle Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
A pretty good summary...

https://mobil.wwf.de/fileadmin/fm-wwf/Publikationen-PDF/2002.Review.wolf.attacks.pdf

It's very reassuring, it's only really the mad wolves with rabies that kill most people wink
latest report
When my father was a young man he was a junior officer in the Polish cavalry.

In the winter of 1923 he sent a patrol of soldiers out into the forest area bordering Russia.
They were never seen again, search parties found no trace (snow was heavy).
When the spring thaw came some remains were found:
The metal parts of their uniforms, guns and horse saddlery.
The area was carpeted with the spend shell casings of all their ammunition.
There were also a number of wolf jaw bones but nothing else.

The evidence suggested that they had been surrounded by wolves at night (there were a lot of wolves in the forest) and had been overcome.
The wolves had eaten everything except the metal parts, even the wood on their rifles (it would have had lots of gun oil on it accumulated over time). The wolves had even eaten the dead wolves...leaving teeth in jaw bones uneaten.

My Dad had a very deep respect for wolves!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy