Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MIPS helmets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In the market for a new helmet figuring my 11 year old lid has probably done all the work it should in its lifetime.

Masssive choice!

I keep coming across MIPS references. Anyone know the lowdown on MIPS? What is it? Pros and any cons?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google? http://mipsprotection.com/technology/

In practice it’s a thin bit of plastic inside the shell, that is accached such that it shears away in an impact. No cons as it’s so as unnoticeable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One type is designed to take a big knock & then replace it (EPS/Hardhat, etc.)
the other type is designed to take lots of smaller knocks without having to replace it, but not as protective against a very big knock on the bonce as an EPS (MIPS)

I think there is good description on Bern website somewhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Themasterpiece think thats whats referred to as shear pads or similar which detatch at a certain force and allows the shell to turn a bit.

With MIPS ther Inner shell and outer are layered with a low friction material which is designed to twist in oblique impacts and reduce the torque effects transmitted through the helmet.

Both techs are there to counter that twisting rotation effect of an impact. My next helmet will definitely have one of them.

https://www.pocsports.com/eu/research-innovation/protective-concepts.html
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A small adder to what has been written above. There is one negative for me with MIPS where the inner shell does impact the sizing of some helmets - I tried on many with MIPS and had to move to a large or XL, when I'm typical always a medium.

POC has their own 'equivalent' to MIPS called SPIN (Shearing Pad Inside). It is a much more minimalist approach where the internal pads offer the same shearing concept as MIPS helmets, without the extra shell.
I purchased a POC Tectal SPIN mountain bike helmet in the summer, size medium and it has been excellent. So much so that I have just purchased a new POC Obex SPIN for my winter sports, again a size medium and it offers a superb fit. Looking forward to trying it for the first time in Tignes in a few weeks.

I had been a loyal supporter of Giro for over 20 years for both winter and biking. Now I've very much in the POC supporters club!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure how you can more minimal than mips... I have one and it’s like a VERY thin sheet of plastic.. I’m sure I have explained that in simple terms but not way does mips increase the helmet size..the fit and extra padding from older style helmets are likely to add to the size required..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy