Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question for owners of skis

Poster: A snowHead
VaDinci wrote:
Locks will only deter honest people.

Like others have said....Locks are more to satisfy Insurance.

Also, a Lock is likely to deter the opportunist...and the wally (from lifting the wrong skis). If there are nice skis that are easier to steal, yours might be overlooked....Though a determined thief will have brought pliers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@pam w, true, evidence doesn't imply causality. Maybe it's the very distinctive topsheets, general batteredness, or just blind luck. All have worked so far. Very Happy
I will be locking my new skis though, don't want to tempt fate.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never locked any of our skis.....still have them all, even the ones we don’t want anymore
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wish more resorts would use a system like SkiKey

https://usa.skikey.com

The lock is matchbox sized and easily fits in a pocket. Takes a few seconds to lock and unlock your skis.

Val d'Isere started putting a number of racks in and selling the locks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Brother and I lock our kit up if we stop for lunch or coffee at a café/restaurant, whether it's in resort or on the mountain somewhere. Have a Skikey for if a rack is available, and a DaKine coiled cable lock. Also try and find a seat where we can keep an eye on the kit as well.
I don't think I would be very polite if I saw some thieving scumbag trying to help themselves to any of my boards or any of my Brothers skis...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sno trax wrote:
I wish more resorts would use a system like SkiKey

https://usa.skikey.com

The lock is matchbox sized and easily fits in a pocket. Takes a few seconds to lock and unlock your skis.

Val d'Isere started putting a number of racks in and selling the locks.

They're quite widely installed in mountains this side of the pond. But I see majority of them are typically unused.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got numerous customers that have had their skis stolen and on of the big difficulties is getting the crime registered with the local cops who are reluctant to admit that they have a theft problem.

So one of the big benefits of even a flimsy lock like mine is that even if you return to find the lock snipped and your skis gone you can prove that a theft has taken place (take a pic of the lock on the rack/floor) so they have to give you a crime number which you then need to substantiate your insurance claim.

And make sure that you keep your skis/bindings purchase receipts for any insurance claim and also check that your policy covers you for sufficient value. Both of these are even more important if the kit is new.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Must admit I don’t bother to lock mine anymore. Especially after I found how easy it was to cut the wire (my lock failed and I just borrowed a tiny pair of pliers and it was like a knife through butter).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never lock mine. Never had any bother, nor heard of any of my mates having any bother (never asked them if they use locks though). In fact, thinking about, I rarely see any that are locked up outside restaurants etc.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many years ago I indulged in somewhat excessive apres ski in central Morzine which carried on well past evening meal time. Wandered out of the bar eventually, remembered I’d just lumped my skis into a large pile and wasn’t really sure where I’d left them. They were the only ones left there! Either had a charmed life or they were too rubbish to bother with Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also, a few years later, got in the big red ‘Westgipfelbahn’ Gondola to download to Hinterglemm with the Mrs after lunch (the red down was a bit much for her). On the way down I noticed her skis were longer than mine! So we had to go all the way back up to find hers and replace the ‘stolen’ ones. IIRC they both had some white on them, but were different manufacturers Shocked She was lucky we had the children with us or I would have bailed on the second trip downhill and skied rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No never use them, don't split either. But you can.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do, I lock mine and the wife's together preferably to something if its out of sight for more than a quick pop to the toilet. A couple of minutes to lock them up might just save the headache of replacing them should they go walkies. In what other circumstances would you leave over a grand's worth of possessions unattended and unprotected.

Do get some funny looks though form time to time, it doesn't seem to be that common to lock up your kit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anywhere up the mountain through the day thats only accessible on skis - probably nothing unless I had particular cause for concern.
Anywhere up the mountain through the day thats accessible by lift on foot - Cable locked and split up/mis-matched if accompanied.
Anywhere up the mountain for Apreś - cable locked and split up/mis-matched.
Anywhere and anytime at resort level - comfort break length of time only and always cable locked. If anything longer back into a secure locker or the hotel first.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I suppose it would stop my mates nicking one of mine, skiing down to the valley floor with it and then sending a photo of it sat at the gondola station waiting for me Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
I bought a cable lock when I got my (wonderful) BBRs. Occasionally I locked them when I remembered if I'm down in resort. Now I've got a board I'll religiously lock it...if I remember. So not much then!
snow report
Never used a lock. When I'm using skis that are particularly nickable (new, expensive, attractive models for skibums) and I'm in a high risk location (e.g., at a restaurant close to a car park) then I will split them and tuck one in a hard to see location. Once they are 3 seasons old I get pretty relaxed.
snow conditions
Too much faff. I just separate them, nobody wants to steal one ski. And make sure there's nicer pairs on the rack (almost always!) just in case.
snow conditions
I'll lock my skis with a cycle cable lock if at resort level or at a big party hut venue, it would need a fairly decent cutter to get through, beyond a multitool one. With touring bindings or newish skis it's a little piece of mind.
snow report
We never lock them but do split them for restaurant stops. My wife has had a pair taken by mistake. The perpetrator had the same size boots and it wasn't until they were half way up the lift that they realised and skied back down. Luckily we were at an out of the way coffee hut at the bottom of a run with only one way out on the lift.
snow report
@Canuck, you must have a low faff threshold. I keep a lock in my pocket, it's a retractable cable with a 4 digit combination lock. Unlike Scarpa's I suspect that a multi-tool would get through it, but even if that alone stops some git from nicking my poles again then it's worth the 30 seconds or so of effort.

And just because there are nicer skis in the rack when you arrive, doesn't mean that the owner isn't just about to ski off with them.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude,

I'm with you on this one - scooting backwards and forwards distributing skis around a rack and in hidey holes seems so much more effort than attaching a lock.
ski holidays
Our lock is too thick and well made for a multitool, it's made with 5mm stainless cable, but good wire cutters would snip it in seconds, but who other than a determined thief has them, and we can't stop them. We just want to stop the careless taking them by mistake, or the opportunist who wants to make a quick buck to pay for a nights beer.
ski holidays
Also important for insurance. Our lock is 1.2m long too, so is long enough for both sets of skis, and we always lock them to something. Takes about 1 minute, so worth it I reckon.
latest report
Scamper wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude,

I'm with you on this one - scooting backwards and forwards distributing skis around a rack and in hidey holes seems so much more effort than attaching a lock.

+2 and all this "we lock at this place but not this one" rolling eyes . just lock every time and be done with it
snow report
@thecramps, my multi tool has a decent wire cutter on it Wink

As you say, someone that has gone out to deliberately steal skis will get them, even with a proper chain (I had cause to use a bolt cutter on a decent padlock a while back and it was shocking how easily a small bolt cutter could get through a reasonable padlock). But I'm mostly looking at stopping someone accidentally taking them or someone that thinks "those skis are nicer than mine". And having had £100 worth of poles go missing during a short lunch break I'm no longer as blase as I was previously.
snow report
I use a retractable wire lock on the "stops accidental or opportunist theft" basis. I also recommend checking your insurance cover most will not do anything like "replacement as new" so your just over 2 year old, hardly used skis are probably only worth 45% or so of the original purchase price assuming you still have the receipt and there will be an excess too! Mine fall into the over 5 years old category, so not worth anything according to the last policy I had so I would be looking at the full replacement cost so any protection from loss/theft is worthwhile.
snow conditions
@tarrantd, mpi it's 65% for 2 year old skis, but it's still shoit, I'd rather try and prevent them getting swiped whether theft or incompetence. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use this one. Locks the skis and poles together onto the rack. It aint cheap, but neither are skis.

https://www.loqski.com/products/ski-lock
latest report
@thecramps, I think my policy said "up to" 2 years so ski's bought 1st Jan 2017 are now over 2 years old even if only used for 1 week so only 45% if stolen (less the £50 excess). Can't help feeling that cover for lost/stolen skis should be an optional extra!
snow report
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

all this "we lock at this place but not this one"

hmm, well I've been taking that approach for 35 years and >500 ski days. Seems effective enough not to deserve an eye roll?
My observation around the mountain is that hardly anyone (<1%) bothers with locks. Why do you think that is?
snow report
Awdbugga wrote:
I use this one. Locks the skis and poles together onto the rack. It aint cheap, but neither are skis.

https://www.loqski.com/products/ski-lock

Looks like a serious bit of kit. We've both got new skis this year so might be inclined to invest. How big/heavy is it? I.E. is it pocketable or would it need to be in a backpack? Not sure I fancy landing on it in a pocket?
ski holidays
@jedster, but if you’re in that % just once....
For the sake of a few quid and a few seconds I like being slightly protected against having to walk/download, rent for the rest of the trip and then claim the peanuts from my insurance company.
latest report
Quote:

For the sake of a few quid and a few seconds I like being slightly protected against having to walk/download, rent for the rest of the trip and then claim the peanuts from my insurance company.

nothing silly about that - perfectly reasonable if it gives you peace of mind
I was more reacting to the idea that the 99% of skiers who don't bother deserve an eye roll Very Happy
snow conditions
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

Agreed
latest report
jedster wrote:
@holidayloverxx,
Quote:

all this "we lock at this place but not this one"

hmm, well I've been taking that approach for 35 years and >500 ski days. Seems effective enough not to deserve an eye roll?
My observation around the mountain is that hardly anyone (<1%) bothers with locks. Why do you think that is?

I don't say it's not effective for you but if locking in one place why not just lock every time? I just CBA to risk assess everywhere I go. It's a matter of seconds and is a habit so I don't have to think about it

In answer to your second question...no idea
latest report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

nothing silly about that - perfectly reasonable if it gives you peace of mind
I was more reacting to the idea that the 99% of skiers who don't bother deserve an eye roll Very Happy

The eye roll isn't about not locking at all, it's about the selection process
snow conditions
@robboj, I have one of those locks as well, bought it last season. Easily fits in your pocket, am sure it has a carry bag to keep it in (not anywhere near to check today), not heavy at all either. Though very sturdy!!
snow conditions
Quote:

I "Swap and Lock".....and always bring my Graphite Poles with me.

Exactly. Never leave them unlocked.
snow report
horizon wrote:
Never locks. I always split them.

This is what I usually do, mix mine up with the father in laws as similar sizes but totally miss matched skis and boot sizes. If I'm on my own I will place them solo but far far away...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy