Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb 19 Half term drive down - live journey chit chat !

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of arranging a sneaky getaway with Oleski Jr on budget.

Shuttle is fully booked so possibly the same route @marmite_toast is taking - good night's sleep on board the ferry and then to the mountains in one shot.

Has anyone done this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Oleski, have you looked at a shuttle availability for Sunday morning if you are happy to lose a day?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ozboy, I prefer not to, one week is short enough as is snowHead

Also looking at train routes - in all honesty doesn't make much economic sense to drive down just two of us.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oleski wrote:
Thinking of arranging a sneaky getaway with Oleski Jr on budget.

Shuttle is fully booked so possibly the same route @marmite_toast is taking - good night's sleep on board the ferry and then to the mountains in one shot.

Has anyone done this?

Yes did it year before last.
Be prepared for the ferry if you want to catch a few zzz's. The seasoned traveller will have blow up beds in the best spots before you've even pulled the hand break on your car!
BUT seriously though we found a quiet spot pulled the cushions off the chairs and got our heads down for the ferry. Then piled into the car and took turns between catching a snooze and driving down France.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would offer a lift but we've got a 3 door rav 4 so we can have stuff or passengers not both! Smile unless you have a roof box?!?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@marmite_toast, are we allowed to sleep in the car?

I was actually looking at the cabins you can book at an additions fare. However looks like they are all sold out for the outward crossing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marmite_toast wrote:
I would offer a lift but we've got a 3 door rav 4 so we can have stuff or passengers not both! Smile unless you have a roof box?!?

I don't have a roof box and the jr gets car sick, so you don't really want us for car buddies Very Happy
But thank you for kind offer Little Angel
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you all your kids finish school on the 15th? Ours aren’t off until the 22nd? I’ll wave at you as we are heading south.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CH1975 wrote:
Do you all your kids finish school on the 15th? Ours aren’t off until the 22nd? I’ll wave at you as we are heading south.

We’re the 15. Taking them out at lunchtime to get the early evening ferry. You’ll be able to be suitably smug as we head back to reality after our half term.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oleski wrote:
@marmite_toast, are we allowed to sleep in the car?

I was actually looking at the cabins you can book at an additions fare. However looks like they are all sold out for the outward crossing

I looked too.. all gone Sad

But when we took the midnight ferry last I was astounded at how many people were super organised and had set up camp in the seating areas with bedding and everything. I will definitely be bringing a travel pillow and blanket because I really feel the cold when I'm tired and its comfy enough on the airplane style seats in the quiet areas to catch a snooze Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CH1975 wrote:

My daughter also finishes on the 22nd (York) Hopefully it will be slightly quieter.
Scottish schools break up for half term on 9 February so a 3 week range this year UK half term.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Today (26.1.19) outbound. M20 shut fully in both directions Jct.9-11 (west of Eurotunnel) so we went cross-country from Brighton and arrived earlier than expected. 30 min delays but on earlier train than scheduled as they’re just stacking people as they arrive. Onboard just waiting to depart.

More customs checks than usual, however. Taking batches of cars off to have steering wheels and door handles tested.

Tip: we asked at terminal and Eurotunnel rep said Due to delays, to go one letter ahead of ours. Didn’t say this at the toll gate. Then we mistakenly followed a couple of cars into the High Vehicles lane and seemed to get loaded before the waiting letters.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Oleski, which ferry route are you looking at, we frequently use the Newhaven --> Dieppe. There are cabins, you need to take your ear plugs though as some idiots always activate their car alarms rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad and they go off as soon as the ferry moves and that's it for the next 4 hours. There are also areas that have reclining air craft style seats that are great to head to.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dan, that's the one I am looking. Thank you for the tip, will definitely get some ear plugs Toofy Grin

Not decided if we are going yet, but temptation is strong snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’re taking the nuclear option and heading out 0650 on the Saturday morning. The school has helpfully organised a concert on the Friday night. Obviously not skiers.

Don’t mind doing the drive in a day although it seems a shame to miss out on a stopover and an early look at French meat and cheese...

In previous years we’ve found that arriving in Lyon later in the day is actually preferable to arriving early afternoon when the traffic builds up.

We’ll see...
snow conditions
Power Steering gone on car - that's an expensive start to the skiing holiday Sad

Still three weeks to get it sorted and better now than going round a hairpin on ice Shocked snowHead Laughing
snow report
Have just got around to replacing the telepeage doflicker thing. Someone recommended checking the battery life and it was pretty much dead. Could have been embarrassing at 30kph if that had given up. Always annoying seeing people take a ticket in those lanes... Mad But not quite power steering @Boris,

Now where's the breathalyser... Puzzled
snow conditions
Quote:

Now where's the breathalyser...

you don't need one now.
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Quote:

Now where's the breathalyser...

you don't need one now.

Good. I can use it as the makers probably intended ie to get a huge positive reading at some point in the middle of a big night out somewhere... Laughing
ski holidays
Spin Doctor wrote:
Have just got around to replacing the telepeage doflicker thing. Someone recommended checking the battery life and it was pretty much dead. Could have been embarrassing at 30kph if that had given up. Always annoying seeing people take a ticket in those lanes... Mad But not quite power steering @Boris,

Now where's the breathalyser... Puzzled

How do you check the batter life in those things?
ski holidays
You log on to your account online and it tells you how much life should be left in your battery - probably rather crudely based on age and usage I am guessing.

Had ours for appx 10 years so not surprising they were recommending renewal.

Straightforward ordering process and quick (2-3 day) service. They take a 20€ deposit until you return the old one.
latest report
Quote:

#Page23, log onto your account and go to your tags and it will tell you whether it is okay or expiring soon. Mine just crossed over into the expiring soon so I replaced it when we got back from NY. The original lasted 4 years as a guide. The new one is a little sleeker than the old one but not massively smaller.
snow report
16 days and we should be well out the tunnel by now - getting excited!!! 17 days til the mountains!! I think we might have done all the "car" shopping bar chains which is being sorted this weekend. Then it's just to work out how to get all the stuff in the car....

I've even found one lonely snowheads sticker so will fathom out a way to stick that on the car somewhere too snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
RobH2017 wrote:
Quote:

#Page23, log onto your account and go to your tags and it will tell you whether it is okay or expiring soon. Mine just crossed over into the expiring soon so I replaced it when we got back from NY. The original lasted 4 years as a guide. The new one is a little sleeker than the old one but not massively smaller.

Thanks. That’s helpful. I got ours around 12 months ago so hopefully will be ok.
ski holidays
We’re driving to Waidring, just SE of Salzburg again.
Setting off Friday about 4pm (slightly earlier than previous years) from Leicestershire, a flexi Eurotunnel ticket for the outward journey.
We usually get to the Holiday Inn in Ghent at midnight, back up at 6.30am, breakfast them a 11hr drive - usually some delays in the Munich area. We should get there around 6pm.
Last year we went via Wurzburg/Nuremberg instead of Luxembourg which helps avoid some of the traffic around Munich. We’ll probably do the same this year.
ski holidays
"Taking batches of cars off to have steering wheels and door handles tested."

Isn't the steering wheel bit covered by an MOT? Puzzled Toofy Grin
latest report
Bergmeister wrote:
"Taking batches of cars off to have steering wheels and door handles tested."

Isn't the steering wheel bit covered by an MOT? Puzzled Toofy Grin

It's a swab test for explosive residue
ski holidays
RobH2017 wrote:
Quote:

Did mine yesterday - the mounting bracket has also changed, so you need to remove the old one - which was hard work!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I over next week, Skiing Tues 12th- Sun 17th inclusive, I am working on the assumption I will miss the crowds bar the last day. Sound correct?
snow conditions
@Jonny996, No big UK hols, that is next week. but 1st week of French school hols, but only 1 region, so should not be too bad
snow report
I’ve just stuck my snowHead sticker on the car. Give us a toot of you pass us! Blue merc e-class Estate. Getting the eurotunnel around 3:50pm on Friday and stopping over in Beaune.
snow report
@DJL, assumed it was that or drugs - assume if they get a positive they'd then have to do all cars individually as they won't know which one of the 10 it came from surely?

Week today will be off - having a relaxed drive down - Thursday night Ashford, Friday in Macon, which should see us in Aime supermarket around lunchtime Saturday and in resort early afternoon.
snow report
More for your return journey's:

The M20 will be closed between Ashford and Maidstone (west bound) from Saturday 9th Feb to mid March from 8pm to 6am each night and there will be a 50mph limit when it's open. There are average speed cameras ready to catch those who do not understand what average means Confused

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47149029
ski holidays
caughtanedge wrote:

Did mine yesterday - the mounting bracket has also changed, so you need to remove the old one - which was hard work!

How did you manage it in the end? So far my plan is to take a screwdriver to it and lever it off (no amount of digital manipulation while sitting in traffic has been successful to date).

Puzzled
ski holidays
More for your return journeys:

The M20 will be closed between Ashford and Maidstone (west bound) from Saturday 9th Feb to mid March from 8pm to 6am each night and there will be a 50mph limit when it's open. There are average speed cameras ready to catch those who do not understand what average means Confused

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47149029
ski holidays
Back to Sainte Foy this year. 3:30ish train on Friday, overnight in Troyes and then a 5:30 start Saturday for the race to the valley Happy.

A little convoy of 2 cars this year so we’ll see how that goes.

Kids are crawling the walls.....almost as much as Dad!!

Perhaps i’m odd but the drive makes the whole thing just that little more exciting form us!
snow report
see you there!!!
latest report
Quote:

Perhaps i’m odd but the drive makes the whole thing just that little more exciting form us!

Me to!

One of my boys is off to MK tonight - just hope he's sensible and doesn't break anything before we go!!!!
ski holidays
Our menu for the week is sorted (8 ppl) and ordering click-and-collect from Super U for collection on route on Saturday. Can only order a week ahead and will be logging in at 11am tomorrow morning to ensure we secure a good collection slot.

@dannyboy23, we are also on a train around the same time as you in a convoy of 2 cars. I have a snowHeads sticker on the back of my car.

My car has a ‘safety recall’ appointment on Monday as aparently some models have a leaky fuel line!
snow report
OldHacker wrote:
We are catching the 8:20am Shuttle from Dover on Saturday 16 Feb and doing the drive to Montchavin in one day. Are we mad?

Not at all. Arriving really early or really late is the best option on a busy transfer day.

I presume the accommodation people know you will be arriving late?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy