Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb 19 Half term drive down - live journey chit chat !

Poster: A snowHead
New sat-nav option required for UK roads: "avoid road works/50mph sections on mway"
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are just (at 16:42) boarding the 16:20, letter N. If that helps anyone! The delays seem to have reduced while we've been waiting.
The husband seems to think putting the car in sports mode to drive on. will help get us home quicker. Silly boarders.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like we are on the same train. Boarded about 10 mins ago, letter N. Boarding seems to be getting handled quite efficiently, but don't think we'll be leaving for another 10 mins or so, 46 mins after scheduled departure.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any of you got the reg plate LE5 3ETS or ST11 FOY. Was passed by both on the way up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ingemar_Skidmark, I saw the ST11FOY one last week on way out, think it's safe to guess where they were off to
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ingemar_Skidmark, and now to M20 delays! Safe onward trip!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@always29, I can just imagine first time visitors to UK getting off tunnel/ferry and having 40 miles of reduced lanes and 50-limit and thinking "why have they closed the road but not actually see anyone working"

Well I did last night
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, How many trips a year do you do in the car? You can get 10 x Flexiplus tickets for £142 each and share them with a named friend. Must use them within 12 months.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Matt1959, I get the normal Frequent Traveller which is £46 each. The majority of trips are not an issue and drive straight on (eg 8:20am on a weekday) - so its hard to justify paying three times the amount. Next year we might book Flexi just for HT outside of our frequent traveller.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ST11 FOY posts on here
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also saw T8 Sno which we interpreted as someone e called Tom who falls over a lot and Sk11 something something something which we coveted... driving up next to them at 130kmh and asking to buy their car was considered de trop...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone planning any strategy changes for next year? In the post mortem we’ve decided that we are too old to do 14 hour door to door drives any more so appropriate steps will be take to elongate the holiday next year
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Always take the Friday drive down to Chambery and overnight..... few beers, nice meal......adds an extra days skiing.

The drive back still a one hit job.... you just want your own bed rather a another night in hotel and Indian take away.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ingemar_Skidmark, @Boris,

Guilty

There’s a Les Arcs , don’t know how it’s made up but used to see them at dry slope races in UK and in BSM sometimes and i once saw a T7GNS for sale on here .
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Always take the Friday drive down to Chambery and overnight..... few beers, nice meal......adds an extra days skiing.

The drive back still a one hit job.... you just want your own bed rather a another night in hotel and Indian take away.
ski holidays
@Rob Mackley, nice, Disco if I recall? Followed you for a while in a errrr Disco, you'd have spotted us easily amongst the gazillion Discos Laughing

@Spin Doctor, yeah, our strategy change is that's it for Feb! My boys are, results permitting, off to Uni next academic year, so will be Easter or Chrimbo for us. Strategy will be similar though, relaxed trip down with stops and rattle back in one hit. With 4 potential drivers it's not so bad.
snow report
@Spin Doctor, We were just taking about it this evening: (context is we have our own place so no check on/out restrictions).

Outbound: No more overnighting on route as end up double tired after two stressful drives on the trot and having to deal with kids for two long journeys (2 lots of start of journey travel sickness etc). We will do it in one hit by taking them out of school completely on Friday instead of 1/2 day.

Inboud: Return trip on the Sunday (in one journey), instead or leaving Sat lunchtime and overnighting near Troyes. We are however concerned they will be over tired for school that starts tomorrow. (Nightmare getting them to bed tonight). We are also open to having my wife and kids fly back on a cheaper Sunday flight from GVA while I drive back solo on Monday.
latest report
We are repeating the run at Easter for the family bash. We'll be changing our times a bit as the kids won't be in school so overnight halt can be much closer to VT. Even more ruthless with packing.
latest report
Left ibis boulogne at 520am and drove straight on train for 0615 Sep...straight up to m11 then a1M. Cairnryan ferry at 330pm and home in Coleraine in N Ireland at 1920pm....smoothest ever...14hrs all Inc stops....hope the sun stops out there so there's snow left for Easter rerun.
ski holidays
Left Chatel (actually Vacheresse) at 22:00 on Sat and got to Calais at 06:20 via the Jura as I fancied a change, a nice a drive, one stop, one driver and low speed. The upside was that the roads were very quiet, downside was that on Sunday I was tired but resolved by 2hr nap. Managed to get a good nights sleep on Sunday evening and in to work for 05:50 this morning.

We had 8 days on the slopes, my eldest daughter did well in her ski races and aside from the busy pistes, it was an excellent half-term break.

Can't wait to get out again, will have to wait till Friday for that, but may need water-skis by then.....

I would be interested to know whether I should pull the trigger for Flexiplus frequent traveller instead of my standard frequent traveller? I would win on check-in time waiting, but would I still have to queue for border control as I would as a standard ticket holder? I have generally driven overnight so queuing has not been a major issue, but with 6 round trips in the last 12 months finding the motivation to drive at unsociable hours is beginning to wane
ski holidays
@Spin Doctor, One of the Snoworks instructors (called Lee!) has SK11 LEE which I thought was quite amusing and appropriate
latest report
As there are often questions asked about Feb Half term costs, DIY costs and driving costs, thought I'd do a summary of Half term just gone for reference :

Family of 4, 2 adults, 2 kids (11 and 8 ).
Travel - out on Fri straight from school, overnight nr Troyes, arrive resort Saturday. Ski last Saturday drive to Beaune, meal, overnight hotel, return home Sunday.
Accommodation (1 bedroom + 1 bunkroom, 2 bathroom, didnt use the bedsettee), 50-100m from lift in Val Cenis. 4* with swimming pool and spa. Cleaning, towels, linen, underground parking all included.

Accommodation including 6 day lift pass and 7th day lift pass upgrade from Sunweb - £ 2,456
Tunnel Flexiplus return £478
Tolls (EUR 192.3) - £173
Fuel (EUR 311.97) - £281
Outbound Fri night hotel (2 rooms) - £90 (about 30 mins past Troyes)
Return Sat night hotel (2 rooms) - £99 (Beaune)
no ski hire costs (own equipment)

Total holiday cost - £ 3,577.67

Food/drink/spending:
Generally we ate out for lunch (beer, decent plat du jour, pitchet of vin and dessert), then fed the kids sausages or pasta pesto or similar in the evening and we gorged on bread, cheese, charcuterie and wine. (two days we took a piste side picnic at end of week as we had cheese and meat left)
so:
5 mountain restaurant lunches and 1 evening meal -£387.05
UK supermarket shop pre trip - around £100 (general stock up, milk, juices, pasta for kids, crisps, snacks, crackers, breakfast stuff, g&t)
French supermarket shop en-route - £218.22 (fresh stuff for the week, saucisse, saucisson, hams, pates, cheeses, wines, beers, snacks)
Cash spending - £110 (mostly bakers, the odd beer, chocolate chaud etc)
Total spending - £815.26

All in holiday, meals and spending : £4,392.93

(Return home Plunder: I ended up bringing home a bottle of single malt, a bottle of vodka about 6 bottles of wine a few small crates of 1664 and different Leffe's - blonde, triple and rituel, and a load of saucisson sec from the supermarket shop Very Happy)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy