Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge sharpening tips in resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm skiing in Montgenevre this week on new skis, and there has been little new snow since before Christmas. As a result, pistes are very hard packed, and combined with skidding out turns, each day a noticeable burr is forming by mid afternoon. I have an edge tuner with metal file, medium diamond file, and fine diamond file, and so far have just removed the burr this morning with the fine one.
Should I be taking the edge back a bit further than just the burr? I don't have a stone with me.
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
certainly not! Unless you want to change the edge angle, you shoudn't need to use the metal file at all, just go over a few times with the medium diamond, then polish with the fine diamond. Don't forget to use some lubrication, soapy water is your friend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
coddlesangers wrote:
certainly not! Unless you want to change the edge angle, you shoudn't need to use the metal file at all, just go over a few times with the medium diamond, then polish with the fine diamond. Don't forget to use some lubrication, soapy water is your friend.

Sorry but no.

cstreat in the conditions that you describe then not only deburring but also having to sharpen midweek is to expected. I'd be giving mine a touch-up very night if it's hard'n'rattley. And a little and often results in less material being removed over the long term plus you have the benefit of good edges every day.

And as long as you use the cutting tools in your edge tuner (which I'm assuming matches the side edge angle of your skis) then you will not change the edge angle. However,
you should really use an alu-oxide stone first to removing the skiing burrs - you can use a diamond but it's an easy way to trash the diamond compared to using a lot cheaper alu-oxide stone.

Once you've removed the skiing burrs and if the edges are still sharp (finger nail test) then you're good to go. But if the edges are still blunt then you can use your metal file until you've raised a very slight hanging burr, then polish with the medium & fine diamonds prior to running the fine diamond along the base edge angle to remove the hanging burr. A very light tickle with a hard gummi stone held at 45 degrees to the side edge with ensure that the hanging burr is fully removed - if you don't have a gummi you can do this with your fine diamond but the pressure needs to be absolutely minimal. The diamond stones need wetting - snow, spit, water or beer etc but nothing oil based.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you very much.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, doesn't an edge last longer with diamond filing? A daily tune up was exactly what I suggested, op said he didn't have a stone...! You suggested edge filing and an alu-oxy Stone to remove the burr, I humbly posit that as he's probs only there for another 2-3 days, a daily diamond will do nicely!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm here for a bit longer than that, but will proceed with caution with the files. I actually sharpen knives and carving chisels as part of my business , so understand producing a fine edge.
After just deburring yesterday morning , it was noticeable by mid afternoon that the edge had gone, so if this is done each day , surely after a few days the removed material will contribute to a rounded edge, unless the side is taken back a small amount.?
I'm using a basic Kunzmann tool, so will check the edge angle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Edging with a medium and fine diamond file, and a light base deburring has sufficed. Thank you for your advice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy