Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best medium sized/lesser known resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm taking my girlfriend away on her first snow holiday in February/March.

I was just wondering if someone could suggest some of the best medium sized/lesser known resorts in the alps? Preferably with a decent transfer time.

Neither of us are huge party animals, just looking for quality snow and some good looking pistes.

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Dr_TobogganMD,
Transfer time from where, ideally, so that we can narrow down our suggestions?

If Geneva, I wholeheartedly recommend Le Grand Bornand (1 hour transfer, scheduled service available at weekends), a great, varied area for beginners and lower intermediates.

Also, if you are flexible, then France will be quieter after 9 March (school holidays will be over) - in particular, tuition will be easier to arrange for the girlfriend!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Turin for Cervinia matches size and not too distant transfer. It's a very easy trip.

Good combination of piste to learn skiing/boarding also.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @Balso

We'll be flying from London. Don't mind where in the alps so long as the transfer time from the airport to the resort isn't too long Smile

Thanks for the suggestion!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What would you mean by medium sized?
50km, 200km?

The Hochkoenig springs to mind. An hour from Salzburg. Tonnes of snow at the moment, should be plenty left all the way to March whatever happens.
https://www.bergfex.com/hochkoenig-maria-alm-dienten-muehlbach/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Dr_TobogganMD, At the lower end of medium sized, I would say Lofer is one of the best I've been to. We were driving at the time and combined it with Waidring a little further up the valley, which would also fall into that category. Transfer is only 45mins from Salzburg or 1.5hrs from Munich. When the snow is as good as it is now and the valley run is open, Lofer is a little gem for relaxed skiing and very nice town as well. The only caveats on these is that it if you're an advanced skier a week will be too long and there are few challenges. By March it may also get slushy as it's a low resort. Otherwise could be ideal for the other half, good ski schools, proximity to Salzburg for a day trip, a decent sized "chocolate box" centre, other activities, etc. Depends what your priorities are really.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Contamines fits the bill although there are lots of options
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Risoul and Civetta are the two most awesome I've been to but a bit of a drive.
Anything near a big city/ airport is going to be a bit too busy for my liking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alleghe is coming up 1 hour 50 from Revision.
Risoul 2 hours 20 from Turin.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I was just wondering if someone could suggest some of the best medium sized/lesser known resorts in the alps?

From the naure of the question I assume you mean best for a beginner to learn to ski rather than best for off piste skiing. I also wonder what you mean by lesser known and assume you mean lesser known by the UK tour operators, not the readers of this forum. For clrrification when in Febuary/March are you thinking of going? If it over half term (roughly 2nd week in Feb to first week in March) then I suggest you don't go to France. Even the resorts not known by the UK tour operators such as Les 7 Laux and Chamrouse will be busy.

Have a look at the Dolimite resorts such as Wolkenstein or Corvara
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Corvara and Selva (Wolkenstein) are lovely but not exactly small-medium sized or lesser known. They are part of one of the three biggest ski areas (whatever way you choose to define a ski area) in the world. I’d say that counts as big!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Could do worse than Maria Alm - lovely old Alpine village resort. Quiet without being dead. Small in itself but linked to other nearby villages giving plenty of skiing if your other half takes to it. Less that 90 minute transfer from Salzburg
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paul100 wrote:
Could do worse than Maria Alm - lovely old Alpine village resort. Quiet without being dead. Small in itself but linked to other nearby villages giving plenty of skiing if your other half takes to it. Less that 90 minute transfer from Salzburg

Maria Alm is a lovely place, I visited last week. Just the one gondola lift up to the Natrun peak and a couple of variants down, but links over to the Aberg and further into the Hochkonig circuit. Leogang isn't far away for a back door into the Saalbach Ski Circus too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m going similar time 7th march to 12th march. So far I’ve narrowed down flying to Milan which is £45 return from Bristol, friend is going from London and its about £35 return.

We were looking at Livigno but that’s around 3 hours drive so now looking at places slightly nearer to Milan.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With Milan flights in mind, I would consider Bormio.
Three lovely ski areas, a beautiful old town and a great thermal spa.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy