Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is the lift sytem in Avoriaz/Porte du Soliel really that bad?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have heard that the lift sytem in ^^ is very poor like no high speed chairlifts is this so? Opinions please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just come back from our 3rd year in Avoriaz with the kids at half term and the worst queue was 10 minutes for a 4 seater speed chairlift between Super Morzine over the car park to Avoriaz. Plenty of 4/6 seaters all over the place, don't worry. No t bars in France which is also good news. Love the place
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some of the lifts over in Switzerland (Morgins/Champoussin/etc) are fairly old: t-bars etc, but there are lots of high-speed lifts elsewhere in the PdS: indeed, one of the very first 8-seater chairs was in Avoriaz (Tour?). The worst used to be the link coming back from Chatel towards Avoriaz: regularly had to download on an old triple towards the end of the season, but we found last year that that had been replaced by a new quad as well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We skiied from Avoriaz to Morgins via the long valley run which was beautiful but very easy. You are right about the lifts on the way back though. The lift from the base of Morgins was old and everything it carried us over looked old as well. It's a long way back to avoriaz via the lift system from Morgins and most lifts were old ones and a few t bars to boot. There is one we passed approaching Les Crozats which is now closed but it looked at least a 1940's! As soon as you get to Mossettes which leads down to Linderets, the lifts are excellent though.
Thanks for reminding me about the 8 seater - yes you are right its called the Tour - even though its fast and big it can generate huge queues due to the fact its the bottom lift from that side of the village
Still love the place though
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone else got an opinion?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jstw, yes.

I do.

No it isn't "that bad". Wherever did you hear that?

French side generally very good and well connected. Swiss side less so.

Are you going there and unnecessarily worried? If you're not going there why would you care?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes going there on Sat, can't wait!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jstw, Without knowing your abilities and group I would unhesitatingly suggest you'll love it. I hear the snow is fantastic and I will admit that the PDS is my favourite area. I do know it quite well though...have a great time.

Where are you staying?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm staying in the Pierce Niege chalet, theres about 8 of us goin intermediete to advanced.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I too have some opinions. Firstly, I agree that you'll love it - almost anyone would! (I stayed in Morzine though). Secondly, the lift system is excellently laid-out, with virtually no queues and virtually no drag lifts, but, there are an excruciatingly small number of detachables, even on the French side.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My experience of Avoriaz / Morzine is that the lifts are excellent: lots of quick chairs. Have been to PDS 3 times, all outside of French holidays (as you will be) and have hardly ever had to queue, even on the Swiss side (which does have slower lifts though). I think you'll have a great time.

Have just got back from La Clusaz: by contrast that has mainly slow chairs and button lifts. Nevertheless, even though it was school holidays, there weren't many significant queues.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jstw, Thge lifts on the French side are good, although I know the Les Gets side better which I doubt you will venture over to from Avoriaz side, although you might like Mount Chery if you are advanced (bit of a journey though).

I was there last week, French half term in that part of France and still not major queues except at the bottom of the Pleney lift on the Morzine side (this will mean more when you look at the piste map). I stayed in a hotel up the Pleney list (you have a great view of Avoriaz from Le Viking so you will see the hotel I stayed in from your side next week) and had little queues althoug busy around the ski school meeting point.

You should have a great week this time in March - hope the weather is good to you, the snow is already there.

Like David Murdoch, I just like PDS.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy