Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

One week anywhere from 26/27 Jan....help!

Poster: A snowHead
Good morning everyone!

I have read this forum for years and I'm now hoping you can help me with my indecisiveness for an imminent ski trip. Due to uncertain financial situation last year my husband and I decided to book our one week ski trip (from weekend of 26/27 Jan) relatively last minute. We had intended to go to Austria but then all the snow fell. Meanwhile other resorts haven't had much. That picture is obviously changing now and the forecasts look promising for most places. I'm now torn between where we should book and would be grateful for some advice. We are looking for the following:

Large ski area (not PDS or Grand Massif though as done that to death, have been considering St Anton, Tignes, Les Arcs etc)
Catered chalet
We ski reds confidently (well by the end of the week) and the extent of my off piste is normally one metre the other side of the piste marker
Very sedate couple, not in need of lively apres ski.
Don't want to rely on needing to get a bus to the slopes as I just don't have the patience for them however I don't mind a walk in to a town of an evening to burn some calories
Our budget is flexible and hoping to stretch to a 'signature' type chalet - looking at max £900pp including flights from London and transfers. I realise that rules out some of the more luxury resorts.

I thought booking last minute would be a fantastic position to be in but I'm just finding it all very stressful. I feel in danger of not actually making a decision and missing this ski season totally! This is our only week available this year.

Thank you for your help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

We had intended to go to Austria but then all the snow fell. Meanwhile other resorts haven't had much.

I don 't see why that's a problem.... makes the decision rather easy - unless French resorts soon get some badly-needed snow, go to Austria!

Meanwhile, it's not yet time for a "last minute booking" for departure in two weeks! Plenty of time for research.

There are not so many catered chalets in Austria, but lots of nice hotels.

Welcome to Snowheads.....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow falling is generally a 'good thing' for skiing. Austria will have it all sorted long before you go.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome...

This is Chamonix this morning

Sorry it’s upside down.

Forecast to carry on for the next 24 hours ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ha ha thank you. By my nature I am an epic planner so this current lack of a booking is making me seriously uncomfortable! I have been worried with all the snow storms in Austria and the winds that there might be too many days where you are stuck looking at it rather than skiing in it. We were in Whistler last year and trying to ski the day after they had 50 cm was just ridiculous!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SnowPloughPrincess, there is no reason to imagine the current conditions in Austria will be the same at the end of the month. It could as easily be blizzards in France and sunny in Austria ir vice versa.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just done a very quick search on Iglu, plenty of options within your price range in France alone. For example (picked at random), catered chalet Klosters in La Plagne, sauna and hot tub, £567pp.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

there is no reason to imagine the current conditions in Austria will be the same at the end of the month. It could as easily be blizzards in France and sunny in Austria ir vice versa.

Quite. Which is why it's too early for a "last minute booking". Wait till forecasts are more reliable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@SnowPloughPrincess, We're off to Zermatt on 26th Jan. It's been booked for months but if we were looking to book now I'd be canvassing hard to go to St. Anton.

Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you that’s very reassuring on the late booking aspect and also rules Austria back in! Flights are looking a bit limited now but hopefully will still have availability when I find what I’m looking for!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand wrote:
@SnowPloughPrincess, I'd be canvassing hard to go to St. Anton.
D

Quote:

Not sure st Anton suits!

Saalbach/hinterglimm, Skiwelt, ski Amade depending on where you find a good accodation deal......
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hope that you are successful in your search, as catered chalets are relatively rare in Austria.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Flights are looking a bit limited now

Yes - flights with TOs can be a limiting factor. But you can book flights separately - plenty available for £200 return or less, which leaves you loads of dosh to book good accommodation. Or go by train if you don't want to drive. Some of the best accommodation is only available to book independently, rather than through TOs .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@t4tomo,

But they don't have to go daft in St Anton. It would also suit a sedate couple, as they could surely go for a drink somewhere quiet. wink

If France is an option we've had 2 great trips to chalets in Meribel with The Chalet Company. No connection to them, other than as very satisfied customers! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes I think if Austria is back in the running then half board hotel would be good. We have done that before and it worked out fine. Is there any particular site to try for the accommodation only?
ski holidays
Ski Total have some nice chalets in Tignes from £650 for that weekend all in. So with about £250 for a lift pass and £60 (about half of the cartel price in St Anton) for ski hire that shouldn't break the bank. The pistes were in good condition yesterday we have had 20cm of snow since and are expecting another 30 in the next 24 hours. The next week or so looks like sunny periods and snow showers Plenty of quiet apres to be had here. Ask if you need advice on specific locations (or PM in case I don't come back here Very Happy ).
latest report
Go to eastern Switzerland.

All the good Austrian snow, without the ridiculous Austrian panic.

Davos and Klosters are a good option.
ski holidays
@SnowPloughPrincess, the big TOs still seem to have plenty of packages including flights.

The main downside for late booking in Austria currently is that prices in the big ski areas tend to be staying quite high. Lots of snow or definite forecast of good snow tend to keep prices up.

As @pamw stated, it’s not late yet. Between 5 and 1 day before departure is what I’d call a late booking this time of the season.
snow report
@SnowPloughPrincess, Mark Warner have some good deals for that week - nice chalets and and extra £150 of prices for January bookings.
ski holidays
Quote:

the ridiculous Austrian panic

Puzzled Austria seems to have coped well without any ridiculous panic - just keeping things going, and keeping folks safe.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Go to eastern Switzerland.

All the good Austrian snow, without the ridiculous Austrian panic.

Davos and Klosters are a good option.

Er yeah... Um... who was it posting untrue stories about dozens of people being dead in Austria?? Er... oh yeah. It was you. Making things up on the internet. Care to apologise?
latest report
@nozawaonsen, Whitegold actually works for the Daily Mail/Daily Express writing sensationalist headlines and in his spare time likes to troll on SnowHeads - he will never apologise! I think he could be Nathan Rao’s separated at birth twin.
snow report
Thanks for the suggestions of other sites to try. I hadn't looked at ski total for a while and never at Mark Warner. Still lots of good options available for us which is reassuring. Perhaps I should wait for the proper last minute window to see what the forecasts are indicating. Just getting antsy it could all end up a bit of a panic!
snow conditions
Look at Le Ski too - it's a while since I went with them, as we bought our own apartment, but their chalet in Courchevel 1650 (Rikiki) was great, with super food. Much smarter than the cheap ones we went to with kids - and some good reductions on their website already.
snow conditions
I could have written this post myself - watching with interest!

Second recommendation for Le Ski - however they do not have any London flights avaliable for that week at present only Manchester so depends on where you are based.

I have a place in St Anton ready to book for same week however, whilst it's two weeks away, I just don't know whether to go ahead with the booking and hope more lifts open or to wait until 'proper' last minute. My partner wants to go to a chalet though which makes life slightly more constrained.

Good luck with the search!
ski holidays
Quote:

they do not have any London flights avaliable for that week

You can ask about an "accommodation only" price from the TO. We drove when we did a last minute bargain Le Ski week in Courchevel 1650 and went by overnight train from Paris for a last minute trip to La Plagne.
snow report
Or fly with British air, easyJet, etc. There's no need to be dependent on tour operators.
snow conditions
Quote:
You can ask about an "accommodation only" price from the TO. We drove when we did a last minute bargain Le Ski week in Courchevel 1650 and went by overnight train from Paris for a last minute trip to La Plagne.

Le Ski only knock £50pp off when booking last minute and not using their flights so just depends on how good the the deal is I suppose/what you can get your transport to the Alps for Smile.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just booked the Eurostar - direct ski train for 26th - there are still a few seats available if thats an option for you - gives you absolutely loads of catered chalets to choose from across 3V, Paradiski, Tignes etc.
Les Arcs a very easy short transfer from Bourg.
Happy hunting.

PS. Silverski and skibeat worth a look if you prefer package with flights
ski holidays
I'd forgotten about the ski train. I'm based in the south so any London departure points are doable. I'm looking at St Anton and it looks great but I do worry about how much would be open. The long range forecast just keeps showing heavy snow. I know it's unreliable this far out though. Looks like most places should get some snow in the lead up to our week so should have good choice. Going to have to be brave and hang on to hit the proper last minute window as PeakyB said!
latest report
You wont go far wrong in any of the big resorts in France - I've skiied January every year for the past 20+ years, mostly in 3V and Paradiski - never been disappointed.
The train is expensive (£608) for x2 return - but so easy and efficient. Many chalet companies dont charge for transfers from the stations and there are a lot of good offers floating around for that week at the moment.
Biggest bonus for me is that I can take as much luggage / skis as I like - just have to put up with other half moaning about how much I take - but thats no problem!
ski holidays
Quote:

just have to put up with other half moaning about how much I take - but thats no problem!

New post Tue 15 Jan, 19
13:41 Reply with quote

Laughing As long as you carry it all yourself and don't take more than your fair share of the storage space available!
ski holidays
Quote:

As long as you carry it all yourself and don't take more than your fair share of the storage space available!

Well it says I can take 2 cases of medium size and my skis and my handbag - so thats what I shall take - I'll allow my husband to take his board and one case also.
He will be fine - dont worry! wink
latest report
@SnowPloughPrincess from what you are looking for Plan Peisey in Les Arcs is perfect. Lots of good value nice catered chalets (have a look at ski beat for example). They fly from London. And Plan Peisy is small with awesome access to lots of red run tree skiing as well as the wider Les Arcs and Paradski area which is 400km of well linked pistes. You can probably wait for until next week to choose though if you want to check the snow
latest report
Les Arcs does sound really good. Thanks for that. Some good accommodation options as well.
latest report
The one thing you really need is snow, so if you can make a decision now go to Austria. There is so much snow that its still going to be fantastic even if no a flake falls until then. France as far as we are told is ok for snow, some bits more than others but more of a risk in that time frame from warm weather etc. Stop faffing over catered chalet or half board, its the same blooming thing. Its still a quiet week so just wait until next Thursday if you have to.
ski holidays
SnowPloughPrincess wrote:
Good morning everyone!

I have read this forum for years and I'm now hoping you can help me with my indecisiveness for an imminent ski trip. Due to uncertain financial situation last year my husband and I decided to book our one week ski trip (from weekend of 26/27 Jan) relatively last minute. We had intended to go to Austria but then all the snow fell. Meanwhile other resorts haven't had much. That picture is obviously changing now and the forecasts look promising for most places. I'm now torn between where we should book and would be grateful for some advice. We are looking for the following:

Large ski area (not PDS or Grand Massif though as done that to death, have been considering St Anton, Tignes, Les Arcs etc)
Catered chalet
We ski reds confidently (well by the end of the week) and the extent of my off piste is normally one metre the other side of the piste marker
Don't want to rely on needing to get a bus to the slopes as I just don't have the patience for them however I don't mind a walk in to a town of an evening to burn some calories
Our budget is flexible and hoping to stretch to a 'signature' type chalet - looking at max £900pp including flights from London and transfers. I realise that rules out some of the more luxury resorts.

I thought booking last minute would be a fantastic position to be in but I'm just finding it all very stressful. I feel in danger of not actually making a decision and missing this ski season totally! This is our only week available this year.

Thank you for your help!

https://www.skitotal.com/search/?departure-date=wee_2019-01-26_2019-01-27&country-code=FR&resort-code=FRTI&departure-airport=LONDON&adults=2&children=0&infants=0&brand-no=2&brochure-code=TS&duration=7&holiday-type=Package&board-basis=CA&scan-days=7&disabled-rooms=false

Plenty of choice in Tignes at that price and below.

We have done Chalet Hotel Rosset with Ski Total twice.......and are going again this year Very Happy

Nice chalet hotel, includes a bar/restaurant/pool/sauna/steam room. It is a very good location, has good amenities, and according to that link you are getting it at a bargain price (certainly compared to what we paid wink although we needed to secure edinburgh flights).

If budget is an issue, pretty sure ST also do deals on ski passes / equipment.
snow conditions
@SnowPloughPrincess, if thinking of Paradiski, worth a look at Ski Amis and Ski Olympic amongst others.
All the big TOs usually have late availability there too.
ski holidays
Ha Op,

Your post amuses me no end, as I am a notorious last minuter, but my Oh likes to know what she's up to months in advance (imagine!!). This has led to serious friction in our ski holiday planning actually, with me sometimes having to revert to a few 'white lies' to calm her nerves, e.g.

Her - ' did you book the hotel we were looking at in St Anton? '
(translation: will you ever make a fuppin decision & stop procrastinating you stress inducing, testosterone driven tool?')

Me- ' all sorted '
(translation: I've put the emails in order now, so I can say to you 'all sorted ', so you can ease off on the valium & stop nagging me to distraction)

Anyways it goes on like that for a few weeks, until finally about a week before we leave (best deals to be had normally ~ 5 days before btw) I can honestly relate to her that we're now all booked, in which case she has to move on to one of her other hobby horses Wink

Oh the joys!! Wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 17-01-19 10:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy